Posh Persons Manor house bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

Posh Persons Manor house bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy »

Up Bright and early this morning for another meet up with my old mate at the Manor house bottle dump .As with all these things they tend to be last minute and after a day of organising work load etc and making sure all was clear , I finally managed to get today off and tear myself away from a busy workshop . All Quiet on the Western Front ! The blackness of a ridiculously dark morning evaporated into the grey daybreak of a heavy foggy landscape and the dull greyness was to stay with us all day but at least with the cloud cover it was surprisingly mild , no frost to contend with and bitterly cold hands so it was a vast improvement compared to our last dig weather wise .

The lure of course is the very hopeful probability that we may chance upon some decent decorative pot lids or meat jars , after all these people would have eaten well back in the day . It is an impressive property and I keep pinching myself that we finally gained permission , with the vast majority of smooth talking being down to my esteemed sweet talking companion and his charm certainly worked wonders . It is a very impressive property and grounds , steeped in history and I wish we could gain permission to metal detect but for now we best not push our luck and keep that one on the back burner , so its big holes for now and hopefully smaller ones in the future .

Back at our respective areas we commenced digging mindful that we wished to avoid the local history group dig which was fairly easy to see where they had been even though it was a few years ago , the tell tale signs were of course the small shards of glass and crockery that lay sparsely in amongst the weed , leaf mould and sprigs of grass . Keeping roughly out the way we were sure that we could miss the previous digging which proved by and large a successful enough operation . We also know for sure that there are possibly one or more untouched tips in the grounds and if we play the game , keep it tidy and show the finds eventually some mutual respect and trust will be built up over a course of time , we live in hope .

In general , most of the stuff we have been digging are fairly common items found in many tips of this era with the exception of local printed stuff and once again I managed yet another Ginger Beer same as last dig but despite a repeat find I never get bored of digging them , its great to unearth something which has lay dormant for a 100 years and save it and enjoy that fact .
Sauce bottles and Camp Coffee bottles however are a completely different matter , found in every tip all over the Country , the nations favourite of that time and todays dig was no exception , they were coming out fast and furious . The nice items tend to be busted yet these things appear to survive relatively unscathed , there were some early sheared lip versions , these are far more pleasant to find , aqua blue and almost crude but a dozen or more later the novelty soon wears off . Like everything just as in metal detecting , you have to wade through the not so good to find the good stuff .

Cup of Tea , sandwiches , bit of a chat and a laugh and off we go again busying ourselves with the never ending task of shifting soil , chasing the seam and the relentless emptying out of the trenches to get back to where you want to be , down at the bottom and probing the side walls and living in the hope that the next spade or fork full will reveal that hidden gem . Today was not that bad a dig , the main thing is having fun and enjoying the moment but once again the very much yearned for fancy pot lids , meat paste jars and other overly indulged decorative Victorian jars and what nots avoided us once again . I did have one pipe bowl , yet again , strange we cannot seem to find more , this one possibly a Ladies pipe as its small and dinky with a fragile decorative birds claw . I say this as a guess , the feminine pipe smoker , its a dainty pipe and not so robust as its counterpart which has a heavier sized bowl and large eagle type claws where as this one is more of a Sparrows claw if I were to compare the two . Either way , it was another nice find as I do like my clay pipes especially the fancy ones .

As with last time , plenty of broken crockery but an almost complete Japanese style decorative vase with the lip gone , not quite my thing but still would have been nice complete but its in the hole cos its broke , what else can we expect and they do suffer compared to the much sturdier bottles . The dig was getting interesting as we began to find parts of dolls heads and a very small blue intact Childs Dolls House cup which I mistakingly left behind , it still had the tiny handle , why I forgot about it I dont know but it will be there no doubt when we next return .

By early afternoon we were beat , so many household bottles from sauce to meds and one large but sadly busted milk bottle , quite an early one , not my thing again but my mate likes them but this had bottomed out . One last cave in on the side walls and back fill it all in and while doing so out popped a neat Boots Lysol bottle in amber , lovely condition so a nice bonus bottle to end the day with , so wrap it all up and get back on the road and get my weary body back indoors .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Dave The Slave

Re: Posh Persons Manor house bottle dig

Post by Dave The Slave »

Great account as usual.
Were all those throw backs damaged or just Camp coffee and Sauce.
Never tried Camp but remember it at one of my Gran`s in the early 70`s.
Funny enough looking at pot lids in the Salisbury Antiques center yesterday.
All the best, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

ratty

Post by ratty »

Another nice haul, just reading the report gave me back ache.. ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

Dave The Slave wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:58 pm
Great account as usual.
Were all those throw backs damaged or just Camp coffee and Sauce.
Never tried Camp but remember it at one of my Gran`s in the early 70`s.
Funny enough looking at pot lids in the Salisbury Antiques center yesterday.
All the best, ::g
Dave.
90% of the throwbacks were mint , just filthy dirty . So many common enough bottles best pop them back in the hole . Quite a few of them were sauce and coffee bottles .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

ratty wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:07 pm
Another nice haul, just reading the report gave me back ache.. ::g
Got back ache now ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

Once again another good read Paul. I could almost imagine myself walking along and digging along with you.
Imagining is the right word as well ! It amazes me that you dig it all out and then shovel it all back in at the end of the day.
It also amazes me how the ‘chosen’ transform from grotty throw outs to sparkling perfect specimens. (How’d you like to clean my windows) :)

Love the little amber jar. Shame about the China. Still I s’pose accidents did and do happen. Wonder how long they kept their jobs !

I see there’s a Cod bottle in there. Reminded me of a conversation I had with one of the locals. He said he worked on the new road (was then) from Milford to Haverfordwest years ago and in one place they were digging through hundreds of them and most were complete with the stoppers. He said he wished, back then, he’d known how much they sell for now. He’d have saved a few dozen.
Seems there used to be a glass factory, over there, where they were made..unfortunately he doesn’t remember the exact place :(

dondo

Post by dondo »

Great write up ::g and another good haul.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

Ladybird66 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 pm
Once again another good read Paul. I could almost imagine myself walking along and digging along with you.
Imagining is the right word as well ! It amazes me that you dig it all out and then shovel it all back in at the end of the day.
It also amazes me how the ‘chosen’ transform from grotty throw outs to sparkling perfect specimens. (How’d you like to clean my windows) :)

Love the little amber jar. Shame about the China. Still I s’pose accidents did and do happen. Wonder how long they kept their jobs !

I see there’s a Cod bottle in there. Reminded me of a conversation I had with one of the locals. He said he worked on the new road (was then) from Milford to Haverfordwest years ago and in one place they were digging through hundreds of them and most were complete with the stoppers. He said he wished, back then, he’d known how much they sell for now. He’d have saved a few dozen.
Seems there used to be a glass factory, over there, where they were made..unfortunately he doesn’t remember the exact place :(
The vast majority of dug bottles are the common variety , we dig so much and the main players are sauce and camp coffee .They are always in good condition and come in various colours from the early aqua sheared lip bottles , green , amber and clear . I get asked if I can keep the sauce bottles but to be honest carrying a loaded bag back is a trial so I just bring the odd few back here and there to give away .The rules at this dig is to make good after we have dug and leaving bottles on the side could possibly cause injury, there are a lot of Deer on this land , gaping holes and bottles would not go down well here .I know what you mean though and like Archaeologists who unearth so many things , record and retrieve and then fill back in . Not that we class ourselves as Archaeologists but we get many comments from people asking why we put them back but you can only take so many .
The ones we look for are ginger beers , pot lids , poisons etc and any quirky hand blown bottles with all the air bubbles and coloured swirls in the glass .
The stoneware ink pourers are nice to dig , we find plenty and I have a friend who likes them and they come in all shapes and sizes and colours .
I have heard countless tales of digger drivers finding bottles when excavating when new roads and housing estates are being built and these guys are the ones to keep in contact with , you gain a network with them , some collect themselves and others dont care as long as they get a drink out of it but its true , digger drivers do find tips .

cantona1

Post by cantona1 »

Some gorgeous bottles there, they look really good on the shelf, thanks for the write up ::g

Cantona1

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”