surprise lid find bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

surprise lid find bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy »

Today saw me travelling half way across the County to meet up with a digging buddy of mine and have a return visit to a small Farm tip . It would be around this time last year when I last had a dig here . The good thing as with most farm tips , they tend to be quite shallow unlike their larger counterparts on the edge of big Towns and Cities where the good stuff tends to be quite deep and requires a serious workout to dig the good stuff out.
This one lays behind some old cottages which have now all but disappeared except for the skeletal remains of the foundations and this helps plotting roughly where they would have tipped their rubbish .
Nature in all its glory had reclaimed what is rightly theirs and the encroachment of ivy and swathes of stinging nettles in high summer would have covered up any remains beneath the entanglements of roots , but with winter upon us and undergrowth having died back we could work out where the back doors would have been . A well trodden path grooved into the earth from a century or more of foot traffic was still in evidence and like the lure of a finger , it beckoned us further into the woodland and follow the trail until it ended abruptly on the edge of a shallow ditch . This was to be our digging spot , it certainly made sense with all the tell tale signs of a communal dumping ground for the cottage residents .
We had dug a similar trench not that far away from this area on our last visit , a little closer to the cottages and around the turn of the century up to the 20s , this time round being further back we hoped for some earlier stuff and for once we picked the correct spot .
The weather was mild and within the sparse confines of the copse it was pleasantly peaceful but the quiet stillness would soon be interrupted once our spades and forks got to work , my buddy at one end and myself at the other .
The roots are a menace and that is where the hardwork comes into play , fighting our way through them but in amongst the tangles web of root and soil the gladdening sight of bottles were beginning to show . As in most cases , a lot of these types of tips we're barely beneath the upper layers , it is surprising how shallow some of them can be and it is task to be careful not to break any while digging . A lot of bottles thankfully are quite sturdy and you get to know when your spade or fork meets with the tell tale "hollow" twang of metal against glass , so you slow things down and go carefully about your business .
With these communal or domestic tips it is not unusual to find the same type of bottle over and over again , last time I dug a dozen Woodhall Chemist bottles almost side by side , all clean and minty and it is the same with sauce or Camp Coffee bottles , if it is a popular product then expect to find them in one place . It is not that far removed from how we are today with a particular type of common and popular product , we will continue to purchase and use them and then dispose of the empties just as our forefathers did , but we have bins while they had to dig holes to rid themselves of unwanted domestic rubbish .
Bottles were plenty but mostly generic and of course the waves of broken ones and so far nothing of note . It was at about three feet down and not far from the clay bottom I had the best find for me in the shape of the beautiful Victorian pot lid . It came unexpected as all these things do while chopping the side wall , it fell and plopped face down into the blackened mix of ash and soil . In moments like these it is a 50/50 moment , you take a deep breath and flip it over because most of the time they are plain and your moment of elation is dashed in an instance but today the lid Gods blessed me with a long awaited decorative example . It is moments like this your mates show their true bond of friendship and he came over just as excited as me , thats what its all about , being happy for others good fortune . We both have had good and bad days in equal measures so it is nice to share in the good fortune no matter who finds what . It was also a good sign , if there is one there has to be others the same or similar , however they were expensive products in their time almost a luxury item in some households so unlike the umpteen sauce bottles there was still a possibility for more but not in vast numbers .
As the day wore on we had just about exhausted the trench , they we're never huge but more like a series of them dug here and there . We know of three more pits like this yet to be undug so we will be back another day and hopefully my buddy will have an equal amount of good luck on his next dig . As we always do , he will have first choice where he wants to dig and it may or not pay off , its the luck of the draw and today Lady luck blessed me with one of many bucket listers and hopefully we wont leave it too long before our next visit .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Lowland

Re: surprise lid find bottle dig

Post by Lowland »

Yahoo!
Looks to be in great condition as is your writing talent ::g
It’s got just the right amount of crazing.
What’s the blob top bottle top left?
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Great write up and photos as per fella...cheers
I was intrigued by the spelling of "Patronized" with a Z
So i looked it up thinking i had found an historical faux pas
Wrong lol
Ahh well
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

As ever, an excellent tale of the day's events ::g I think I've spotted a Virol there but the boss of the crop is without doubt, the very nice Cherry Toothpaste lid, a real cracker.

I suppose a coloured one :-O would have made the knees buckle somewhat ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

fred

Post by fred »

Thanks for a great writeup. I never did find a whole decorated potlid myself. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog »

Blackadder43 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 am
Great write up and photos as per fella...cheers
I was intrigued by the spelling of "Patronized" with a Z
So i looked it up thinking i had found an historical faux pas
Wrong lol
Ahh well
That's what I thought too, we were always taught that zeds were for folk across the pond.
Used to love Virol.
Nice haul KB ::g
Rolling about naked in mud will give the wrong impression.

ratty

Post by ratty »

Ace write up, a great haul. The thought of extra moist toothpaste. l;. l;.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

Lowland wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:57 pm
Yahoo!
Looks to be in great condition as is your writing talent ::g
It’s got just the right amount of crazing.
What’s the blob top bottle top left?
The crazing adds to the patina , I could clean the lid and have it looking sparkling but that would take away the natural aged look and like all these things , best left alone .
The blob top as with the bottle next to it are both out of county bottles . Blob top is from Bradford .Seam line disappears at the shoulder , crosses the bottle and meets with the opposing seam line , not seen that before . Couple of big old tear drop air bubbles with applied lip .
The other bottle is sick as hell but a really nice ice blue so that will get a tumble one day to clean it up .That one is from Wellingborough , they do travel these bottles .

dondo

Post by dondo »

As usual a great write up, i was there with you every shovel full and the excitement of turning the lid over and finding it was a Gossnell's ::g i think that's the rarest of the 3 i know of, i've found the ones with the blue and the green background.
Have you ever found a 'privy' i know our American cousins dig them on a regular basis but i've spent years looking and only found 2 and they were from the 1920s, the one was full of beer bottles, i imagine a bloke sitting in there drinking beer so his wife didn't know, we dug a cesspit at the end of a row of 16th century cottages but everything was broken, i came away with a spectacular find well for me it was, i'll put a picture up when i get the chance.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy »

dondo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm
As usual a great write up, i was there with you every shovel full and the excitement of turning the lid over and finding it was a Gossnell's ::g i think that's the rarest of the 3 i know of, i've found the ones with the blue and the green background.
Have you ever found a 'privy' i know our American cousins dig them on a regular basis but i've spent years looking and only found 2 and they were from the 1920s, the one was full of beer bottles, i imagine a bloke sitting in there drinking beer so his wife didn't know, we dug a cesspit at the end of a row of 16th century cottages but everything was broken, i came away with a spectacular find well for me it was, i'll put a picture up when i get the chance.
There appears to be a possible privy on this plot but it is most likely an old well but still worth investigating . I do have an old privy come cesspit in my garden .It was by all accounts part of two now long gone cottages that were knocked down in the 60s . My oil tanker now sits on top of a concrete base so its a bit of wind up knowing that underneath all that could be some interesting stuff . The original homeowner told me there was all manner of bottles down in there and he just filled it with concrete ;;z
I find no end of clay pipe stems and part bowl fragments but nothing whole as yet but originally part of my garden used to belong to the old drovers pub . Had permission to dig in their grounds and had some great stuff out but best part of the tip is under a well manicured lawn .
On the adjoining side of my cottage I found two small domestic pits 4 ft square and 2 ft down . All contained screw tops except for a neat little blue and green ribbed poison bottles . I have found the bottom half of a torpedo bottle and some interesting stoneware ginger beers and flagon parts , all busted . I reckon there are a number of old bottle pits under my patio and the extension just by following the original part of the cottage and lining them up with the two small pits on the other side .
Pop a pic up of your find , would be interested to see ::g

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave »

Thoroughly enjoyed, your account, Paul.
As others have said, felt like I was actually there.
Well done, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

jarrett

Post by jarrett »

Great writeup, thanks.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 »

Great work as always ::g

Cantona1

dondo

Post by dondo »

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm
dondo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm
There appears to be a possible privy on this plot but it is most likely an old well but still worth investigating . I do have an old privy come cesspit in my garden .It was by all accounts part of two now long gone cottages that were knocked down in the 60s . My oil tanker now sits on top of a concrete base so its a bit of wind up knowing that underneath all that could be some interesting stuff . The original homeowner told me there was all manner of bottles down in there and he just filled it with concrete ;;z
I find no end of clay pipe stems and part bowl fragments but nothing whole as yet but originally part of my garden used to belong to the old drovers pub . Had permission to dig in their grounds and had some great stuff out but best part of the tip is under a well manicured lawn .
On the adjoining side of my cottage I found two small domestic pits 4 ft square and 2 ft down . All contained screw tops except for a neat little blue and green ribbed poison bottles . I have found the bottom half of a torpedo bottle and some interesting stoneware ginger beers and flagon parts , all busted . I reckon there are a number of old bottle pits under my patio and the extension just by following the original part of the cottage and lining them up with the two small pits on the other side .
Pop a pic up of your find , would be interested to see ::g
I might have talked it up a bit to much but it's a special find for me, it's a porringer i think some people call them Pipkins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geoff

Post by geoff »

Lovely write up,and that pot lid....wow!
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

I love your write ups. Saved this one could I could be settled and read it properly. You didn’t disappoint. Love the lid l;.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 26 B-)

Bypass2

Post by Bypass2 »

Great write up and pics of the finds. ::g

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”