Gold in the hole bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

Gold in the hole bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Today has to rank as the most extraordinary day I have ever had while bottle digging . A combination of bizarre coincidences and plain old good luck smiled their fortune on me which at present is still making me wonder in disbelief with such an unexpected find on a bottle tip of all places .
The day started at the ungodly hour of 4-30 am .I gave myself plenty of time to get my kit double checked as we had a long drive ahead and my digging pal would be waiting anxiously for me to pick him up .
Once in the car we left the small Market Town and headed off to the not so busy main road , at this time in the morning only fools and bottle diggers venture out so early .First port of call was a hearty breakfast and part of the conversation amongst other things was a particular flagon I had dug early last year and how my digging mate wanted to find one of the same . Anything is possible in bottle digging as it is in Metal Detecting , right place right time etc .

By the time we ventured onto the tip the darkness of an early morning had faded and now daybreak was upon us . It was going to be warm but overcast , just perfect for toiling away and once set up we began the mind numbing procedure of digging out the spoil from our last cave ins .
It was a fine morning and across the way I could see the Farm tractor busy on the fields and with this activity soon brought a crowd of gulls overhead . The sky was full of them and a steady stream of them dropped downwards and crowded behind the trail of soil the tractor was turning overand I wondered what goodies would be unearthed if you ran a metal detector over that field !

First find for me was the hobnail blue poison , I was well chuffed to see the blue raised dimples protruding out of the wall of ash and I knew what it was straight away , neat poison and finally makes the numbers up in size of the others I have .That would have done me for the day to be fair but things just seems to improve and my digging mate was doing well also and quite unbelievably s he emerged from his cavernous pit cradling a large flagon and it just turned out to be the exact same one we were talking about earlier over breakfast .It was mint and his face said it all , one happy digger !
Next out came the little decorative potlid , small dinky size and very welcomed .There were plenty of throw aways but for every half dozen damaged bottles another good one would emerge .In general , sauce bottles and the like are common enough finds and no dig is complete without finding one or a dozen which get unceremoniously launched skyward onto the soil spill but one as in the image was worth keeping back .This was a light green with a crude sheared lip and nice patina with heavy embossing "Daddies Favourite Sauce" , a common enough bottle but not this early version .
gold ring and bottles.jpg
After digging down to the water table , the walls chipped away and excess soil now back in the hole , the tiresome job of removing this spoil starts all over again . However prior to shovelling it all out I rake through it all just in case I have missed something and what I found proves that this technique although laborious in its task is well worth doing for the following reasons of which even now I am still mildly shocked at what lay at my feet .

After raking and scanning the fluffy ash and soil I noticed something which at first made me think that is was just a coil of copper wire or similar poking through the granules of ash . For a moment I stopped and stared down and thought that looks like a ring ! I picked it up but what threw doubt on it was the discolouration of smudged in rusty patina however this was just a surface smear and once wiped away with fore finger and thumb I realised that I was staring down at a gold ring laying neatly in the palm of my hand ! Even better were the telltale signs of diamonds .At first I thought glass but with the state of clear of the clear bottles which are stained white , these were not and they sparkled nice and bright .I called my mate over , he confirmed that it was gold and he reckoned diamonds and even better there is a Hallmark .
Gold ring .jpg
As you can imagine I was fairly shocked , finding a gold ring while metal detecting then yes but finding one while bottle digging to me is just a bizarre find . After the initial surprise and a cuppa I jumped back into the hole with eager vigour , alas no more gold but I did strike lucky again in the shape of a rare Green Codd bottle , usually these are busted but this one was mint with no sickness patina , just nice and clean .Soon though the excitement of the day was to draw to a close and it was time to head back home , we were both in high spirits we equally good finds between us so it makes a good day .Even more so that my good Lady holds me in high esteem and I am flavour of the month as she is now the proud owner of a neat little gold ring which just so happen to fit neatly on her wedding finger and makes a hearty little group of hard earned rings .
To be fair at this stage I dont know for sure if they are Diamonds , they look to be and I need to do some research on the Hallmark details as I would like to know exactly how old the ring is but the mystery is hornet actually got there , a throw away by mistake ?

The Hallmark is a Crown , then 18 [ I assume 18 carat ] a shield and the old fashioned pound sign .
Opposite to this there are two letters S and B . Five " Diamonds , one larger central one with two smaller either side .
gold ring and bottles cleaned.jpg
Happy digger !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

kenleyboy

Re: Gold in the hole bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 pm

An additional photo of the ring moments after being found and nestling nicely on the Hobnail poison.
gold ring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Oh my goodness
Great write up and wow, what a find indeed
Well done, that takes some beating for sure
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi KB
If it’s for ye it’ll no gan by ye.
Absolutely smashing dig-well deserved ::g
i thought it was going to be a gold tooth,
And what a Codd bottle.
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Well Done ::g now i know where i lost my ring :)) =))

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:29 pm

knotalot wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm
Well Done ::g now i know where i lost my ring :)) =))
Ha! Wedgwood match striker ::g

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Now trying to see if i can work out what the stamps on mine mean theres a D with 3 dots in front,a black cross and poss v-r or vur :-/ may date it :-/
Has yours got the same stamps :-/
Last edited by knotalot on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Hello Kenleyboy, Crikey, an intact good condition green Cod! ::g

As expected, another superb record of events ::g The little 'pot' bottom right of Pic 1, is attractive and appears to be an intact 'smoker's companion' (?) comprising ash tray, cigarette holder and match striker - (ribbed pot). It has the look of Royal Doulton about it too - but I could very well be mistaken! The gold ring set with diamonds is also not too shabby :))
Altogether, a fantastic result for you boys. ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:53 pm

I love your write ups, and this time I had the added benefit of smiling for your wife :D . If they ain’t diamonds then I’m not a woman =))
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03 am

WOW KB that's a stunning Codd bottle would love that in my collection. The gold ring what a bonus find on a bottle dump.
Thanks for such a great write up.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:24 am

Truly a special day for you. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 am

What a day. Certainly one to remember. It’s only been a few weeks ago you got your first hob- nail bottle. Now it seems like they are haunting you.
I bet that ring was in one of the old tea pots. Always a favourite place for Granny to keep her favourite ring.
Excellent finds Paul. Well deserved. :D

fred

Post by fred » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 am

The 'pound' sign date letter can only really be 1861 or 1921. If it's in a square or rectangle box (cartouche) with the corners knocked off then the former. Design wise I would have thought mid Victorian so that matches and they will almost certainly be small mine cut diamonds. I bet somebody swore when that one went missing. :D

Great writeup and love the bottles to bits particularly the coloured Codds. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Doyoudigitman

Post by Doyoudigitman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:04 am

Brilliant write up sounds like a great days hunting
With the ring really topping it of,
Great stuff ::g

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 am

Great read as always and well done on spotting the ring ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 am

Very entertaining read and just love the enthusiasm that always shines through your tales.
The ring is amazing and it would never have seen the light of day if you hadn't been digging that hole. What were the chances of spotting it even once it was dug!!
I think this would make a great story for a magazine....I'd send it off if I were you. ::g

BTW I tend to agree with Ladybird that it could well have been in something to keep it 'safe'...my mum always did that when she washed up.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am

fred wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 am
The 'pound' sign date letter can only really be 1861 or 1921. If it's in a square or rectangle box (cartouche) with the corners knocked off then the former. Design wise I would have thought mid Victorian so that matches and they will almost certainly be small mine cut diamonds. I bet somebody swore when that one went missing. :D

Great writeup and love the bottles to bits particularly the coloured Codds. ::g
Thanks for that info Fred . The squares do have the corners knocked off and the SB initials seem to point to a Birmingham maker .
What I initially thought was a shield within the Hallmark is what appears to be a Lioness head which looks to be the Assay Office Mark as London .

The Hallmark amended as follows : Crown , 18 , Lioness head ,Pound symbol
Just before the Hallmark is a feint stamped set of three numbers 495

There are so far four makers with same initials with just the letters SB and date from 1790 -1905

My digging buddy guessed mid to late Victorian

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 am

knotalot wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 pm
Now trying to see if i can work out what the stamps on mine mean theres a D with 3 dots in front,a black cross and poss v-r or vur :-/ may date it :-/
Has yours got the same stamps :-/
Stamped on the base of the one I dug as follows : wedgwood "D" "M" and the "NBC" which appears to be around 1901 . The base is broken on my one but I can repair this which will keep me entertained for a few hours !

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you everyone , it truly was a remarkable dig for a number of reasons . My last two metal detecting digs were pretty mediocre but dont get me wrong I still enjoyed my time out on the field and it keeps your feet firmly on the ground .With that mindset my approach that day was pretty much well laid back and finding the first decent bottle within 20 minutes had set me up for the day .

If I had found that ring under the coil I would have been ecstatic and accepted it as lucky find but not unusual being in a field or on a beach but what made it so bizarre was finding it in a bottle dump of all places .

I tend to agree with Ladybird and Littleboot and that it was more than likely popped in a teapot or similar vessels for safe keeping for a number of reasons , forgotten about and then sadly thrown out!
I bet that caused some heartache .

The Green Codd bottle is quite a rare bottle and having found one before on another tip this one will be gifted to a good friend of mine who sadly due to illness cannot dig for bottles anymore but does manage to get out and use the metal detector now and again .He has never dug one and always wanted one so it seems fitting to pass it on .

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Great write up with photos, Paul.
The ring was a bonus.
Often wondered whether you took the detector with you to check the spoil heaps but this would probably impact on your digging time, with bottles being much more easy to spot.
As already stated, ring was probably in a jar for safekeeping.
Well deserved ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm

"The Green Codd bottle is quite a rare bottle and having found one before on another tip this one will be gifted to a good friend of mine who sadly due to illness cannot dig for bottles anymore but does manage to get out and use the metal detector now and again. He has never dug one and always wanted one so it seems fitting to pass it on"

A typical selfless act of generosity! ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

rl;
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm
"The Green Codd bottle is quite a rare bottle and having found one before on another tip this one will be gifted to a good friend of mine who sadly due to illness cannot dig for bottles anymore but does manage to get out and use the metal detector now and again. He has never dug one and always wanted one so it seems fitting to pass it on"

A typical selfless act of generosity!
rl; ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 pm
Great write up with photos, Paul.
The ring was a bonus.
Often wondered whether you took the detector with you to check the spoil heaps but this would probably impact on your digging time, with bottles being much more easy to spot.
As already stated, ring was probably in a jar for safekeeping.
Well deserved ::g
Dave.
Often thought of taking the detector along but there is little time .We have thought of taking a wooden riddle with us to check the spoil but it would take some serious dedication and the lure to dig for bottles would be too much to bear . Once you get started it takes every ounce of discipline to not to chip away at the walls until you have reached the bottom .
If I had not raked the spoil I would never have found it .It is usual to just shovel out the soil but I had already hit bottom and this was just the spoil from the side walls that I was going through .Once checked it is then time to shovel out .There is no more than a dozen or so shovel full at most , little and often is better and it is easier this way to rake through .I just got very lucky this time and it makes you wonder what other items have literally been shovelled out over the years .

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 am

KB, you're on fire ! ::g :))

Paulrox

Post by Paulrox » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Awesome story ,thanks for sharing. Especially love the pot lid and ring

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Superb write up and finds , and a gold ring to boot , I can see your enthusiasm for the hunt , great stuff ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Mugwamp

Post by Mugwamp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Great write-up as always Kenleyboy and I look forward to them. You had another great day with some cracking finds and for me the ring was the clincher, well done ::g

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”