To electrocute or not to electrocute your hammy... (now with photo of hammy!)

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
HolzHammer

To electrocute or not to electrocute your hammy... (now with photo of hammy!)

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Evening all,
I am sure this has been discussed a hundred times but if anyone can advise or point to a thread I would be most grateful.... I am a bit nervous my home made electrocution device may be a bit punchy and don’t want to risk damaging a fragile bit of silver however valueless or already poor nick it may be in.
Many thanks in advance,
Alexander
Last edited by HolzHammer on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweepstick47

Re: To electrocute or not to electrocute your hammy...

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

I've never had cause to use elctrolysis however, due to your wording, "a fragile bit of silver "
I can't help thinking a pic of the coin might be in order. ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm

I'd certainly never use electrolysis on silver, can't think of any reason to .
Like sweepstick says, a picture would be helpful before any advice is given

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:33 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Here's one:
R77 Gordian III.jpg
R77 Gordian III cleaned.jpg
:D

Totally agree, though - an image would be needed before advice given ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:33 pm

PinkFloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm
Like sweepstick says, a picture would be helpful before any advice is given
I’ve read in this forum from many old lags who say they only use it on silver...... right this is starting to get confusing already....!

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Go for it.... The safest method by far! ::g ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm

British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Allectus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Allectus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 pm
Go for it.... The safest method by far! ::g ::g

A ;)
Here's some Sceattas I cooked earlier.....

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=59784&hilit=electrolysis

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=104593&hilit=electrolysis

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=103521&hilit=electrolysis

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=81390&hilit=electrolysis ::g
Thanks A,
Nice work... anyway here is a photo for those that requested... a fairly dark smooth lizzie threepence I think... I have used electrolysis on later milled sixpences and love tokens in similar condition with some success but not on a thinner, finer, hammy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Safe as houses if you take it in small blasts. (I have to say that PF's comment surprised me. If you don't use it on silver. I can't imagine what you would use it on?
Anyway, I got busy with the croc clips on a big ish silver CharlesX (pretender to the French throne.). Inexplicably shabby...why became clear after a zap....it was a bit of a wrong un. Mind you,I suspect it was an 'official' wrong un. Very revealing. Good job I didn't leave it to long :))
Last edited by littleboot on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm

littleboot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Safe as houses if you take it in small blasts. (I have to say that PF's comment surprised me. If you don't use it on silver. I can't imagine what you would use it on?
Anyway, I got busy with the croc clips on a big ish silver CharlesX (pretender to the French throne.). Inexplicably shabby...why became clear after a zap....it was a bit of a wrong in. Mind you,I suspect it was an 'official' wrong in. Very revealing. Good job I didn't leave it too long :))
Thanks littleboot - good advice.... just a quickie though - how long's a quick zap and what electrolyte do you use?
Ta!
A

Fusion

Re: To electrocute or not to electrocute your hammy... (now with photo of hammy!)

Post by Fusion » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:00 pm

"my home made electrocution device may be a bit punchy"

Seeing as it's not the coin that's the problem, but your mad scientist flux capacitor setup, why don't you show/describe what you're using, then we can critique THAT, rather than random coins.

thefiggis

Re: To electrocute or not to electrocute your hammy... (now with photo of hammy!)

Post by thefiggis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Were it me, Alexander, I'd give that coin a rub with a pencil eraser, if that didn't work a WATER and foil clean and if that didn't work a very light rub with a bicarb paste. Doesn't need electocuting from where I'm sitting,
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:03 pm
Were it me, Alexander, I'd give that coin a rub with a pencil eraser, if that didn't work a WATER and foil clean and if that didn't work a very light rub with a bicarb paste. Doesn't need electocuting from where I'm sitting,
Thanks thefiggis

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Fusion wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:00 pm
"my home made electrocution device may be a bit punchy"

Seeing as it's not the coin that's the problem, but your mad scientist flux capacitor setup, why don't you show/describe what you're using, then we can critique THAT, rather than random coins.
will do - thanks Fusion...

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 pm

thefiggis wrote:
u;@ ::g ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Easylife wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 pm
thefiggis wrote:
u;@ ::g ::g
like the idea of bi carb paste... never tried that before....

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 pm

I did a very delicate one this evening. Just used salt, easy peasy :)) i’ll put a post up in a mo.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Ok you should electrocute only if silver unless you really know what you are doing or it’s a rubbish coin. I normally use an eraser first but on some delicate, brittle coins there is much more chance of breaking it using that method. Foil needs to be carefully used as can scratch the coin.

Anyway that’s my view. It’s so satisfying to do. And you can drop in bleach to re blacken and then use an eraser if you want the patination.

How long? Depends on so many things such as how warm the water is, how much salt or bicarb you use, the voltage, even the other item you use as an electrode and how close your coin is to it.

Just take it slow and you’ll be fine though. If I can do it anyone can ;) 8=ypr :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Oh lord.

I'm going to be on a severe wigging on two counts:

1. Going slightly off topic (though it does relate to the cleaning of this coin).

2. Disagreeing with OG (again, slightly).

In the accused's defence, melud, and in answer to both charges - when it comes to using the foil method I only ever pinch the coin between finger and thumb. No rubbing involved and even it I did rub it I can't for the life of me see how it's going to scratch the coin. I've heard this before and maybe what people are seeing is the scratcching that was already there and which has been highlighted by the foil/water clean. Remember, it's already spent centuries in the soil tumbledrier, and if you've ever looked at a silver coin under a microscope you'll know what I mean.

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Oh lord.

1. Going slightly off topic (though it does relate to the cleaning of this coin).

In the accused's defence, melud, and in answer to both charges - when it comes to using the foil method I only ever pinch the coin between finger and thumb. No rubbing involved and even it I did rub it I can't for the life of me see how it's going to scratch the coin. I've heard this before and maybe what people are seeing is the scratcching that was already there and which has been highlighted by the foil/water clean. Remember, it's already spent centuries in the soil tumbledrier, and if you've ever looked at a silver coin under a microscope you'll know what I mean.

ok before this gets too heated :D I foil-pinched it ( with a bit of spit - I don't mind that at all) and gave it a rub with a bit more spit and kleenex (other brands are available...) about an hour ago with excellent results so this wee lizzie has been saved from electrocution... this time - will do a photo tomorrow when allowance back

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Oh lord.

Don’t disagree at all Mr Figgis, I was just pointing out it needs to be carefully done, as I’ve witnessed, on Youtube, the overzealous rubbing with crinkled foil. That is lethal. A very flat piece of foil pinch between two digits will do no harm ::g
Carpe vinum

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I tend to electrocute only if its a tad (or more) crusty. If its not too bad I use just citric acid powder and warm water and soak for a short while. I never rub with foil. It is too easy to get it wrinkled and it does scratch. No point in doing that and dropping a grade.
Anyway...electrocuted a silver 8th of an ecu which had an ugly black stain across one half of it. Didn't go overboard. Just two very short blasts then into the citric for about 10 minutes then a rinse,. Came out much improved....the stain was still vaguely there but not at all distracting. Sometimes less is more. I really am not a fan of rubbing coins with anything more than a soft cloth or cotton bud. (don't get me started on peeps who do that circular rub thingy with their thumb when the coin is just out of the clod and covered in gritty crud. x; :E )
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 pm

I use an old 12v car battery for a power source and a couple of bits of wire with crocodile clips, one has a bit of stainless steel on one end and the other takes the coin, yes the coin fizzes (erupts?) and about 30 seconds to a minute is usually enough.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

Personaly only Used to get the heavy crud from bronze .
Silver can be worked by hand with various compounds to a better more intricate result.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I think those coins look great as is, but that is just a personal question of taste.

::g

Return to “Cleaning Finds Forum”