Ultrasonic Cleaners

Please post all your topics related to cleaning your metal detector finds here.
detective

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Post by detective » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am

Time and technology move on, but there still doesn't seem to be any consistent and reliable feedback on the jewellery/coin cleaners out there (say £30-£80). They're either wonderful, and the pits (same machine.)

Any recommendations/caveats on particular kit appreciated.

Cheers.

Mega B

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Post by Mega B » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am

I bought expensive Ultrasonic cleaner years ago and not one of these el-cheapo things,used it maybe 2-3 times and my honest personal opinion a total waste of money,a soft toothbrush used under running water provides me with the same results.Mine is gathering dust in the loft.
Lurking.

manicdev

Post by manicdev » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:33 am

And my one is in the shed :D
Waist of money in my opinion.
Dave
XP Deus v3.2 + 9" & 13"x11" coils
Whites DFX + 13 Ultimate
TDK WR 700 Wireless Headphones
Caius Flaminius Labeo

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:08 am

I also have one stored away somewhere, use a toothbrush now.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

looksold

Post by looksold » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm

i purchased one in lidl, cannot remember how much it was. in my opinion it is totally 100% useless. It makes it wet thats all and makes no difference whatsoever.
can't remember where it is now.

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Yes. I agree with everyone's comments on here. I paid for a cheap one (£30) but always wondered if buying a more expensive one would have given different results. It's comforting to know I wasn't the only one to waste my money!!! :D

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:42 pm

They were used by professional conservators. Possibly still are. Seen one in the background on a documentary. Bloke just said " and this is are ultrasonic cleaner" and pointed to a stainless steel square tank

Don't know under what circumstances or what liquid they use ? or frequency ?

Did see it have a thermostat so guess they use a heated liquid ?

Could have been used for anything I don't know

KTM666

Post by KTM666 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner a few years ago. I had expected it to be more effective at first but it is ok for removing ingrained mud which just fizzes up in a cloud for about the first 10 seconds, seems to have no further benefit if left any longer. I just add hot water and do not normally bother adding any cleaning fluid unless cleaning jewellery. It just removes every soil remnant before cooking in oil which then stays clear.
XP Deus with 11" coil. Garrett Carrot.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Copperballs1 wrote:Yes. I agree with everyone's comments on here. I paid for a cheap one (£30) but always wondered if buying a more expensive one would have given different results. It's comforting to know I wasn't the only one to waste my money!!! :D
Cheap ones seem to lose performance over a period of time to the point where they just buzz and do little else! I've had 2 and both, well, just buzz! It seems the transducers slowly fail, that said a neighbour of mine has an industrial ulratasonic that he cleans bits of classic cars in, I watched a dirty and partly corroded cylinder head go in and after 40 minutes it came spotless and back to the bare metal. Baically consumer ultrasonics are crap. I still use one but only to remove dirt, not for getting the find back to a collectable state..

Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of years ago. It's made by a UK company called James Products. It's a very good product but we have to remember just what an ultrasonic cleaner is all about. Working by ultrasonic agitation of the liquid the item is immersed in. So this type of cleaner is no use for a crusty copper coin for example. Where it excels is on an intricate object where the issue is that you cannot get into all the nooks and crannys with, say, a tooth brush.

For example if you had an old clock mechanism and you wanted to clean it completely, then the clock movement if immersed in the liquid (make it fairly hot with a squeeze of washing up liquid) will work wonders. I should add this is only for an illustration; it may not actually be a good idea to stick the whole movement into the ultrasonic bath but the cleaner is great for dirt that is loose and you just cannot get at it with other means. I have also used it to good effect with my wife's engagement ring. Just be careful what you are putting into the bath as it can soften glue or clock dial enamel for example.

amphora

Post by amphora » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:34 pm

UC's are nice for slightly dirty modern juwelery. Not for really dirty finds.
Excusses if i my choise for the right Englisch word fails.

JBM

Post by JBM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:49 pm

My friend found a Victorian gold ring with 3 garnets set in it.

He used my small industrial ultra sonic tank and when he went back a few hours later the stones were at the bottom of the tank.

I also placed a Roman Sestertius in it that was porous and after a while it started to break up.

Yes they do work, but sometimes a little to well. ::g Jerry.

deepskysteve

Post by deepskysteve » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi I bought one and use it for very short periods on buttons it brings out the gold gilt that was under encrustation but I never use it on the nice green patina coins it's a 40khz model for £30.00 just use it for 10-30 seconds to see what happens.
Steve
Minelab Soverign XS coin shooter, Whites Prizm 4, Makro racer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Chilgrove wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm
I bought an ultrasonic cleaner a couple of years ago. It's made by a UK company called James Products. It's a very good product but we have to remember just what an ultrasonic cleaner is all about. Working by ultrasonic agitation of the liquid the item is immersed in. So this type of cleaner is no use for a crusty copper coin for example. Where it excels is on an intricate object where the issue is that you cannot get into all the nooks and crannys with, say, a tooth brush.

For example if you had an old clock mechanism and you wanted to clean it completely, then the clock movement if immersed in the liquid (make it fairly hot with a squeeze of washing up liquid) will work wonders. I should add this is only for an illustration; it may not actually be a good idea to stick the whole movement into the ultrasonic bath but the cleaner is great for dirt that is loose and you just cannot get at it with other means. I have also used it to good effect with my wife's engagement ring. Just be careful what you are putting into the bath as it can soften glue or clock dial enamel for example.
Accepted that the reference to a 'clock movement bath' is purely given as an example but thought it's probably worth mentioning that horologists do use a type of ultra sonic cleaner in conjunction with (expensive) grease/oil solvent liquids (never water) and thereafter all moving parts require a protective application of 'clock-oil'.

I too have heard of stones being 'vibrated' out of their setting following the attention of u/s cleaners. Best stick to the old toothbrush remedy methinks. ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Return to “Cleaning Finds”