Chunky gold ring + large crotal bell

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Giz

Chunky gold ring + large crotal bell

Post by Giz » Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi all
First time out on a new permission of 2 fields of pasture total 23 acres, they have not been ploughed for over 40 + years. The field I detected this evening had in the past been of blackcurrants which had been hand harvested by casual labour. The field is attached to the landowners house which dates back to the 16th century. Finds consisted of pre decimal Elizabeth 11 coins, 2 buttons, what looks like a Roman Sestertius see photos 7,8,9. the largest and best crotal bell I have found to date and a large chunk of 9ct personalised initial bark ring. I have spoken to the land owner and he says it was not lost by a member of his family, so it points to have been lost by a blackcurrant picker, I bet he was mightily B|. Having been totally up front and honest with the land owner about the ring , I find myself with the possibility of more pasture to detect as his best mate is a land owner and he says he will recommend me, what a result :D -=+:-P

XP Deus, Sovereign GT, Explorer XS, Garrett pro pointer, Grey ghost headphones, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

Giz

Re: Chunky gold ring + large crotal bell

Post by Giz » Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Forgot to say that I was using the Deus fast slightly tweaked, kept the reactivity at 3 and the silencer at -1 as there was lots of small iron, sensitivity 90 TX power 2, still on version 3.2 ::g
XP Deus, Sovereign GT, Explorer XS, Garrett pro pointer, Grey ghost headphones, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 am

Yep, bottom one does look like a roman.

A bit of gold is always welcome. ;)
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Lovely crotal bell.

BM [:)
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 am

looks like a sestertius to me .. fantastic ring ... imagine getting home and realising you had lost it ... that would definitely not be a "Beautiful day" to quote MB!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Giz wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 pm
Forgot to say that I was using the Deus fast slightly tweaked, kept the reactivity at 3 and the silencer at -1 as there was lots of small iron, sensitivity 90 TX power 2, still on version 3.2 ::g
Thanks Giz ... what is the silencer.. and when making tweaks how do you decide in what direction to tweak the various settings? Mod ... please delete this if its considered off topic.
Edit: And TX Power... ?? Havent heard of that.. I am on 3.2 also.
Last edited by oldartefact on Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 am

nicely found. Looks a wide range of history there
Goldmaxx power

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am
Giz wrote:
Thanks Giz ... what is the silencer.. and when making tweaks how do you decide in what direction to tweak the various settings? Mod ... please delete this if its considered off topic.
Hi, firstly I think you need to have the remote control, not sure if the "expert" can be accessed if you have the lite version.. If you have the manual go to page 38/39 and over a glass of wine/beer etc absorb the information given, so basically you will need to change the TX power according to the field conditions, the silencer changes automatically when you set the reactivity, again set to field conditions. That's what I do :D. Another option is to watch Gary Blackwell's tutorial you tube videos ::g Having stated all the above, if its there you will find it, if its not it does not matter a jot what programme or detector you have. Good luck ;)

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Giz wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am
Giz wrote:
Hi, firstly I think you need to have the remote control, not sure if the "expert" can be accessed if you have the lite version.. If you have the manual go to page 38/39 and over a glass of wine/beer etc absorb the information given, so basically you will need to change the TX power according to the field conditions, the silencer changes automatically when you set the reactivity, again set to field conditions. That's what I do :D. Another option is to watch Gary Blackwell's tutorial you tube videos ::g Having stated all the above, if its there you will find it, if its not it does not matter a jot what programme or detector you have. Good luck ;)
Many thanks Giz ... but there is obviously another world out there ... up here all the fields are pretty much the same... and when I go down to the Humber Bridge its about as contaminated as you can get ... but sticking to Deus fast I still manage to pull some bits out... and leave the majority of the carp behind l;. l;. l;.

Return to “Metal Detecting Finds - Stories”