OUT, Bigod!...

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
thefiggis

OUT, Bigod!...

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:19 pm

...and I'm not talking about what that idiot umpire said last Sunday when giving me out lbw to a ball missing me off stump by so much you could've driven a carriage-and-four through the gap and had a servant or two dangling upside-down, arms flapping, off each side. Swine. B| But I digress...

What ho,

After a long layoff I managed to blag a go on Maisie Punchrabbit's paddock by way of a new permission. Only a small area - about half the size of one's front lawn, but all the same, 2acres isn't to be sneezed at in these lean times. eh? So I fired up the Jenks, full of vim and vigour. (Me, that is, not Jenks. Lord, no. The only time he's ever shown any animation was when I smeared raw ginger in his breeks in an effort to get me gin quicker. Didn't realise anyone could hop that fast. Quite remarkable. But I'm digressing again...)

To be frank, I wasn't expecting a lot from the day but approached it with the enthusiasm of one having had nowhere to go for weeks on end now faced with a new permission on freshly-rained-upon ground. Life was good ::g

But it got better.

First signal was one of them very old rings usually attributed to horse tack - a decent start. Then a run of shotties and lumps of lead was puncutated by an identifiable G III halfpenny, a rarity round these parts. A few pistol balls and buttons later and I was sat reflecting on how good it was to be out again during the even more gin lunch interval.

Strode out to the crease for the second session and was almost instantly rewarded by a really nice Liz I half groat. Feeling well pleased with the day, the permission and life in general, the half groat was joined by a lovely cut half in the very next over. Half cut with a cut half? Joy unbounded, and I wandered the field in a sort of daze thereafter. Damned wonder I managed to dig up the Roman brooch, really ::g

All-in-all this looks to have the makings of a great little field and one which won't engender the usual "thrash Jenkins" frustrations. Well, not very often.

So, Lowland and Oxgirl32, mind yer backs - I'm comin through...

Pip pip ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Bargeman

Re: OUT, Bigod!...

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:19 pm

So, Lowland and Oxgirl32, mind yer backs - I'm comin through...

Pip pip ::g
And in fine style by the look of those two ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks, big man ::g

New permission, nothing showing up on old maps, a few local finds recorded but nothing for the specific area - whatever you expect, it's not much. But this one had me swearing. Voluably and for a full three minutes without repeating myself ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 pm

A cracking selection there matey... particularly like the cut half! ::g

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:07 pm

By lord so you are, coming through I mean x; . Very well played sir and a nice spread of timescales too :D

But you’ll have to put up with that Roman stuff infiltrating the field which I’m not sure I could countenance really. I like my field being Roman free. But then yours might have Celtic or Saxon and I’ll be sick with jealousy if it does. Enjoy it and hope you give Rory and I a jolly good bit of competition on the finds front - I’m resigned to Rory being the victor already anyway =))
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Nice coins and bits! ::g
Equinox 800 x2

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:32 am

Even an outside chance to match Rory would be beyond expectation but if he gets too far in front he can be nobbled ;)

The half groat has given me a sleepless night. When I showed Maisie the afternoon's finds I was dead casual. She'd already seen the G III coins and I said, "Oh, I found another halfpenny, by the way" and produced the cut half. She was stunned. I'd also previously shown her a modern 5p and followed the Henry up with, "And here's another Elizabeth coin. No, not our Liz - the other one," The look on her face was a picture and well worth my amateur dramatics. However...

She asked me what I was going to do with them and I replied that they were legally hers and while I'd like to report the Henry and Roman to the FLO, they're not interested in Tudor so I'd clean and straighten the Elizabeth penny (that's what I thought it was at the time) and she could have it.

Getting back to the pile, I applied my tender ministrations to the "penny" which, once the crud was off it, turned into a half groat - and a particularly nice one at that. It was also something I'd not found before. Hmm. Curses! What's a fellah to do? Could palm her off with one of the crappy duplicates, eh? After all, she'd never know the difference...

But,tempting though it was, a chap had given his word and had seen the look of wonder in her eyes, so the coin will be nestling in her hand at start of play this morning.

Dammit :(
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 am

Brilliant from all angles sir ::g
Well played.
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Lucky, lucky man. A casual word, whispered in the right ear and you have yourself a little hidden treasure field.
I like the hidden face, is it Jack in the Green again ? No doubt you’ll have some more nice finds from there.

Cath’s comment about Roman-less. Come over this end, we just dream about them :D

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Well, the deed has been done. Her eyes lit up when she saw the spruced-up coin and all but proposed to it.

She offered it back to me.

"Madam," I said, "it is yours."

"Really?" she asked, practically dancing with excitement. "Are you sure?"

This was my chance to back out of the agreement and I could have said, "Not really. Not sure at all. Gis it back." Instead I merely said, "Quite sure," then leant against Jenkins, sobbing with grief as she rushed off to telephone her husband with the good news.

Oh well. Turns out she's good mates with the farmer next door ::g :D
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm
I like the hidden face, is it Jack in the Green again ?
I think it is. The eyes look right but there's quite a bit of damage to the rest of the fizzog to make a conclusive ID.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:20 pm

A great selection of finds there!

Could the lead object with a face at the top be a Roman casket mount wich is actually a lions head?

I found one a few months back and although yours is damaged, it is the same size and looks very similar.
XP Deus with various coils

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 am

Cheers, Peaky. Lion was my initial ID and that's how I described it to Maisie, but when I cleaned it up I wasn't so sure and a prolonged session of yeah-but-no-butyeah-but ensued. Which is still going on.

In favour of lion: shape of what's left of the nose and what looks like a mane
In favour of Jack: the eyes and cheekbone give it a more human flavour.

Trouble is the damage to it, which has removed important diagnostic detail. What is now sending me back to it being a lion is the lack of the leaves you'd expect to see in a Jack.

:-/

Here's a better image:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Good day Sir.

I'll have you know that most of those items were purchased from me about a week ago by Jenkins.

He paid me well for the coins and then asked if I had any scrap or lead. That surprised me and I asked why and he said, and I quote his exact words "It's to keep master happy it's what he usually finds". I didn't understand what he said next though, he said "It's thatchin' " or "It's that chin" ? He said he would be back again this week if you were satisfied.

Wishing you the best with your detecting.

Sincerely Jonathan Arbuckle.

Owner and manager of Arbuckle's Tack and Pawn Shop

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Oh, he's been seeding fields for years. Apparently I can become somewhat "difficult" when displeased and a few years ago he thought he might avoid the unpleasantries involved in a bad day's detecting by lobbing a few treats out. I found out when one denarius still had the price tag on but I don't mind. After all, it's all from his own pocket of course ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”