Loosing Heart...

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Pete E

Loosing Heart...

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:17 am

I must admit that over the last couple of weeks, I've been finding it quite difficult to maintain my enthusiasm.

I have a number of permissions, but they all seem very hard work for often very meagre returns. They seem full of trash along with coke and hot rocks and barring two hammies, the finds of any sorts have not been particularly note worthy or numerous.

This weekend I planned to get out, but for various reasons by 3pm Sunday it looked like I wasn't going to be able to even manage that.

At that point I received a call off a farmer friend asking me to pop other with my detector. I've know him and his ground for nearly 30years and from a detecting point of view its a nightmare as the ground is just full of trash so I did not have high hopes.

When I got there though its seems he had secured me access to a small paddock on the edge of the village that was owned by a friend of his.

I did not have particulars high expectations but set off along on edge following a foot path..

Within seconds I had my first hit, which turnout to be a 1958 sixpence, not old but a coin..As I continued on wards, hit after hit came in, no coin spills just individual coins.

Over the next three hours, covering about 200 yards of the foot path, I got a total of 16 coins, 14 of which were pre decimals. Now the oldest was a Vicy penny dated 1870 and most were around 1900 to the 1940's, but it still left me smiling.

Along with the coins, I had a decent brass horse harness buckle, the remains of a brass/copper bodied pocket watch and what looks like the remains of a small brass bell, plus one or two other bits. The items all looked to be in the same age range as the coins so nothing particularly "special", but what a fun evening and just the thing I needed to recharge my enthusiasm.

I checked the Finds for the location online, and the next field over (owned by somebody else) is shown as once having ridge and furrow ploughing on it so there no saying something older won't pop up either.

The only slight down side is that the paddock has been used for pasture for as long as anybody can remember, and the coins I found were all around 6" to 10" deep, which I feel doesn't bode well for older stuff but time will tell...

Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Lowland

Re: Loosing Heart...

Post by Lowland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am

That’s fantastic news-all it can take to rekindle the enthusiasm is some coins found ::g
The older stuff may be deeper but once everything else is out the way
Perhaps the little signals will come through,
All the best for future sessions :)
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am

We had 1 particular field for 3 months ... in that 3 months I did not find 1 coin .!!! Changed detector to no avail....some fields are just dead maybe till next plough ::g

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:10 am

Lowland wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am
That’s fantastic news-all it can take to rekindle the enthusiasm is some coins found ::g
I have to say although I was trying to stay positive I found that I was starting to doubt myself and my Racer2, so finding a couple of old six pence at 7" plus was just the confidence booster I needed...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

Junior wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am
We had 1 particular field for 3 months ... in that 3 months I did not find 1 coin .!!! Changed detector to no avail....some fields are just dead maybe till next plough ::g
Sadly most of my permissions are not ploughed but I know what you mean.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am

Pete E wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:10 am
Lowland wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am
I have to say although I was trying to stay positive I found that I was starting to doubt myself and my Racer2, so finding a couple of old six pence at 7" plus was just the confidence booster I needed...
It really helps pulling one up from the deep,
One thing I’ve proved to myself recently is that it only needs one hotspot in a pretty empty field to
Change the whole perspective.
Never surrender ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Pete, starting to read your post, I thought "found 2 hammered coins and is moaning about the land, some people go years without finding one" raised eyebrows and a tut :-/ , but then read your reason for the post - the new permission.... nothing like a bit of new land to get the detecting juices flowing again ::g

It certainly sounds like this new land has had some footfall over the years. I suspect if it's currently going back to late C19, then it will go back a lot further as well. As Lowland has said, once you've cleared the more modern items, the deeper ones will appear. Have a look on the old maps for clues - sound like you're on a footpath. I've not had much luck on R&F. I was advised to look for the tracks people would have taken to get to the fields, as not a lot was carried when working - sounds like reasonable logic.
The current heavy rain fall will help with the ground conditions.
Good luck
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Good luck with the new permission... bodes well. ::g

I wouldn't be too worried about the depth. There will always be finds out of our reach, but with a decent detector and all the debris cleared you will soon pick up the good stuff. I have 3 pastures among my permissions: one has been pasture for as many centuries as I can research... covered in modern rubbish, but plenty of 'good' finds coming up.

Keep your chin up!
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello Pete ::g A feeling of despondency hitches a temporary lift with all of us at some time or other. Happily, it's easily overcome by the arrival of more positive events and your new and unexpected permission has proved to be just that.::g

Good Luck with your searching of it and let us see the results ::g All the best - ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm
Pete, starting to read your post, I thought "found 2 hammered coins and is moaning about the land, some people go years without finding one" raised eyebrows and a tut :-/ ,
The first hammered was a cracking Henry VI grote found in the first 5minutes on my first proper outing with by new metal detector and was on a (different) random field belonging to the farmer mentioned earlier. Talk about getting me hooked! Trouble was the session was cut short due to a thunder storm and I have not been able to get back on that ground as the grass is now way too long..

The second came after a *alot* of hours on different bits of land and is one of only three decent finds (between a minimum of four people)to come off a field that I have since found out has been "detected to death" by a couple of other guys...

So really what gets me is not a lack of things like hammies, but its the lack of more run of the mill finds...

A typical 4 or 5 hour outing would normally result in say a couple of 19C/20C buttons, a coin or two and maybe a couple of musket balls, plus a lot of trash... The low point was a 4 hour outing with the result of just one modern 1p coin and this was why I loosing enthusiasm a bit and why last nights outing was such a boost...
Last edited by Pete E on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:31 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm
It certainly sounds like this new land has had some footfall over the years. I suspect if it's currently going back to late C19, then it will go back a lot further as well.
Yes, I was on a public footpath that runs through the field and which leads to the nearby Victorian Church, and a bit further down the lane a former blacksmith and finally a small village..

The other possibility is that the field was used for fete's/ fayers ect over the time period of the coins.. That should show as I search the main part of the field itself rather than just the edge where the footpath runs..
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Pete E wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm
A typical 4 or 5 hour outing would normally result in say a couple of 19C/20C buttons, a coin or two and maybe a couple of musket balls, plus a lot of trash... The low point was a 4 hour outing with the result of just one modern 1p coin and this was why I loosing enthusiasm a bit and why last nights outing was such a boost...
4 hours for a penny, yeah, that's pretty demoralising - - - sounds like one of my a normal beach sessions :D
The more rubbish you remove, the better the finds still remain to be found - you've had 2 hammered, there must be more C15 items around somewhere - Keep plugging away at it and I'm convinced you'll soon be posting some great finds up on here ::g
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

tricky micky

Post by tricky micky » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm

i think i am at the same point to be honest

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:23 pm

The problem Pete is up against is primarily the Area. Where he lives its land that was very sparsely inhabited up to the 1800s. The reason being is that its Welsh hill - land and going back past the early 1800`s the area was known by historical reference to be not populated to the degree many English flatlands were. Of course, there were little tiny villages dotted about but most of those would be poor peasants who traded by barter mostly, and if they were lucky enough to have a few bob then coinage would come into it. It took me years to work this out, as I too from the early '70s found very few Hammered coins in this area.
I`m not going to say there are none because that would be a lie, there are a few here and there but nothing on the scale people down the Southern counties are blessed with having., It`s just we have to work that bit harder to find them. Welsh hills and mountain areas are quite often land with an abundance of rocks in amongst the soil which it would have made hard going for horse drawn ploughs, hence the majority of land would be used for sheep rearing and not crop growing, hence no turn of the plough on a regular basis on a great deal of the land.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 pm

The first permission I got is pasture, the land owner doesn't want me detecting when the cattle are in so I can only detect over winter when he allows someone to graze sheep on the land. For some reason everything that comes up is so badly damaged there is little or no visible detail. I could give up but don't because I find something every time I go and 'one of these days ...................'

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:33 am

I have had tons of disappointing beach and field trips, and I am afraid that this is just part of the 'magic of metal detecting.'
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 am

You’re not on your own. I often think ‘why bother’ when I know it’s going to be almost a miracle to find anything interesting. Like Bors , after research I’ve discovered that over here in W/Wales coinage wasn’t in general use till the mid 1600’s. One cow = 4 sheep, a sack of tatties and 6 cabbages.
Only the wealthier, higher-ups had any silver. Finding it now is hard work for the old legs. Now if you want old iron, I can give you a cracking days detecting ::g
I’ve seen it said the NOX loves silver. Well I can tell you it loves old iron even more. Now in a silver poor area that’s depressing. Even more so when you get that lovely high, dig me signal that is nearly always red when you get to it.

I’ve often joked that if ever the land owner went into the scrap business he’d put the Chinese out of work :)

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 am

Bors and yourself are spot on! Heck, I know some farmers that still barter that way!

What I cant understand is the lack of things like bag seals and spindle whorls...I know they are about in my area though I am yet to find either....
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

There is one thing that I have a collection of that a friend of mine has never found on the other side of the bridge. Cow Horn Protectors.
The first one I found I thought was a drawer knob. Then I found another and another. Posted a pic on a well known local forum and someone ID’d them.
I was told they were screwed onto the point of the horn and any excess horn stuck out the top and was then cut off.
He, my friend, on the other hand finds so many Roman coins he just picks out the best and chucks the rest in a bucket. He was laid up not long back and thought to relieve the boredom he’d have a clear out. One coin caught his eye so he did some research. Turned out to be a very rare one. Sold in London, fetched enough to buy a nice new car. I suggested a swop but he didn’t bite :D

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”