Have you had any unusual detected finds?

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Easylife

Have you had any unusual detected finds?

Post by Easylife » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:20 am

I mean actually found by your detector and not eyes only.
I detected a glass marble from a bottle. Well it was a very snug fit inside a scrap of rolled up copper sheet, no doubt placed there by some child long ago. Still it's another detecting first! :))

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Johnnn

Re: Have you had any unusual detected finds?

Post by Johnnn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:30 am

My most unusual/surprise find was a WW1 enameled bunch of tea mugs with a wash basin also two bottles which dated the find ....HH..John
1-IMG_1040.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 am

Johnnn wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:30 am
My most unusual/surprise find was a WW1 enameled bunch of tea mugs with a wash basin also two bottles which dated the find ....HH..John1-IMG_1040.JPG
That's awesome, it must have been quite intriguing digging those. ::g
White's TDI SL

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:25 am

I did find more mugs at a later visit actually quite a few but after a 100 years they are not in the best shape but I like them "wife doesn't !!" ...HH...john

amphora

Post by amphora » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Found some (collar) tube pendant with a strange sad message in it about "missing". I think a remembrance for an animal.

Found me a bike on a forest path at absurd not to explain serious depth.

Ammunition. That by itself is not that strange, but i have found it to much at strange places were you never would expect it, or would expect it would already been cleared. Or simply said should not be laying at those dangerous busy places 75 years later. Why i always warn the authorities.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm

A frog (or possibly toad)! I have no idea why but it definitely gave a positive signal. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:42 pm

I once dug up an old tobacco tin from the base of a tree. I shook it and it was clear that something was inside of it. Excitedly I eventually got the lid off and discovered exactly what my treasure was- about a dozen dried up used condoms!

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 am

Well, I found Jesus!!
P1050081.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm
A frog (or possibly toad)! I have no idea why but it definitely gave a positive signal. :D
Did it sound like a rivet? =))
White's TDI SL

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Easylife wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 pm
fred wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm
Did it sound like a rivet? =))
=)) =)) =))
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

sponge

Post by sponge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Many moons ago (about 40 years) whilst searching some local woods - I had two large signals pretty close to each other.

Moving the leaves away revealed a fairly recent can of beer.

The second signal turned out to be a large jam jar With a lid on, inside was a magnifying glass and loads of naughty pictures that looked like they had been cut out of Playboy !

I left the pictures behind but took the magnifying glass & enjoyed the beer later at home.

JBM

Post by JBM » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 pm

In to answer your question. ;)

This is a sample copper coin struck in the Tower of London in 1659 for our tobacco plantations.

There are only 11 known in the world and mine being the only one found with a metal detector outside America.

The best example is valued at about a $250,000.Mine after hundreds of years in the ground suffered corrosion, but a collector still paid $18,000 to Heritage for it.

So its not always gold and silver coins that are worth serious money.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

LloydF

Post by LloydF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Nothing too unusual so far! More, I guess, interesting.....

A bit junky but quite pleased for garden finds!

A spirit of St Louis model plane

An old lock of some description (obviously I'm hoping the jewelery box this attached to is still there)

A music box from Sunderland
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT

amphora

Post by amphora » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35 pm

JBM wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 pm
So its not always gold and silver coins that are worth serious money.
I totally agree Jerry. My most wonderfull and very rare find until now is made off forged iron. :D And i refuse to sell it for it's weight in gold.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm

When I first started, my detector went nuts over a chunk of tree branch. I was very confused until I found that there was a lot of lead shot embedded in it...
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:29 am

I found a medieval tumbrel in working condition not really unusual but not too common.
I think someone on here or another forum found a old thimble or something with a folded up letter inside it and managed to unpick it and read some of what was written on it.
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

Strangest find was a fish eye lens from a camera still in good condition with no scratches so it can still be used !!

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I had a short term permission in the grounds of an old cottage prior to it being sold a few years ago . Shiny new Ace 250 and raring to go . Dug loads of rubbish as per usual but was still enjoying the afternoon . All of a sudden the metal detector went bonkers over one area a couple of metres square and for one excitable moment I thought I had found something of interest .
Unfortunately after much digging it turned out to be a huge section of rolled out chicken wire about 6 inches down . Moving on proved fruitless as it turned out the whole area was covered in it . Gave a nice sweet coin type signal ;;z
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 pm

I think I must hold the record for odd finds. :D
I’ve found a fork, a spade, a man-hole cover and a lump of iron ore on the beach, amongst other things.
In the fields I’ve found a golf ball with a micro chip in it and a fossilised sharks tooth that for some reason gave a faint signal.
I brought a 7lb lump hammer home once, just to show hubby and a very oddly shaped lump of iron that took nearly 3 years to ID. If I ever find the pics of it I might post it on here. Be interesting to see if anyone recognises it.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 pm
I think I must hold the record for odd finds. :D
I’ve found a fork, a spade, a man-hole cover and a lump of iron ore on the beach, amongst other things.
In the fields I’ve found a golf ball with a micro chip in it and a fossilised sharks tooth that for some reason gave a faint signal.
I brought a 7lb lump hammer home once, just to show hubby and a very oddly shaped lump of iron that took nearly 3 years to ID. If I ever find the pics of it I might post it on here. Be interesting to see if anyone recognises it.
Perhaps the shark's tooth had a filling? :D
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Found another pic of an unexpected find, also to do with bottles.
In the picture you will see an unrolled "lead tooth paste tube" behind it are 9 coca cola bottles dated 1946 through 1955, my detector picked up the tube you can only imagine the metal on glass sound that followed, and I had to carry them around for a while till I got back to my vehicle..HH...John
IMG_4362.JPG

Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:27 pm

My most unusual find is probably the halfpenny that I found about two years ago in Stirlingshire. I will dig out a photo to let you see it. I might need 3 photos to really appreciate it.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03 am

I found a tub containing human ashes the other night while detecting the beach, I thought it was some sort of strange herbal concoction at first and almost tasted it... My friend ID'd it for me and after doing a Google image search I am 100% certain....

I probably should have made an effort to find the person who lost it but really didn't want to keep it around so said a little fair well to the unknown person as I scattered them in the ocean.

Don't imagine I'll ever have a find that strange again in my life.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:40 am

I once got very excited when I found a small, semi-decayed leather pouch, which disintegrated when tying to recover it.... Inside was not the gold and silver coins I'd hoped for, but some glass marbles. What gave the signal was a musket ball that the child must have found and used as a marble - they would have been gutted to have lost them.
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Maybe it has another use, but I think this is the end part of a "whip" , found "over on the continent". Each piece of lead is an inch or so. Just something that leaves you wondering.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Nearly posted this about 3 years ago, under the title, "Dummy Digs Dumbell "
On the beach skimming the " Bank of Sand " looking for recent deposits for my account, had a cracking signal with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which turned out to be its deepest ever.
A good 2ft down uncovered something plastic coated, with writing of Eastern European.
Lying on my front, nearly at arms length finally uncover a barbell, probably left there by the posers who turn up with their "disciples " for pre work, fitness classes. One find that was left in situ.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”