Nox likes silver.

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Easylife

Nox likes silver.

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi folks,
I wasn't too fussed about going out detecting yesterday afternoon but glad that I did. There's the dilemma or which part to go on but thinking back to the start of this pasture permission a couple of years ago when I found quite a fun area with frequent finds, so today I decided to tackle an iron infested trashy area next to it that previously had long grass that the cattle have now munched down. It was a bright day so warranted the rare wearing of my sunnies which seems to keep dog walkers away - which is good!
My first find was a cast copper alloy flowery brooch followed by the first coin of the day which was a Vicky silver threepence in poor condition, but still welcome.
I noticed that the Nox & 15” coil were sparking off a lot more here on the iron than on other recent land, but still could not be bothered to change my regular settings as they still work fine for me. Eventually I found a patch of clear ground just big enough to ground balance on but it only changed from 0 to 3, though another noise cancel helped a little.
Something like a really thin George I farthing was next, it has the same reverse but the obverse is worn blank. Just 2 feet away came a copper alloy finger ring with faceted sides. A bit of a strange signal due to it's shape though a clear digger was the lead horse and cavalry-rider. The broken penny just shows the top of Edward VII's bonce though is unmarked so perhaps deliberately snapped in two? An odd one (top right) appears to be a mutilated blank penny of sorts?
P1070602.JPG
Moving away from this area the ground instantly became noticeably much quieter and the targets much fewer. Some high tones were aluminium tops, but another was a Georgian silver fruit knife blade looking quite it's age and well used, just showing the lion and George bust hallmark but no date letter.
P1070606.JPG
I had mainly intended to give the Nox a run over a particular field which I've previously hammered and gridded with another machine after it gave up some good finds including a hammered Eddy I penny and a gun-money shilling, but I kind of got sidetracked so barely had any time on it. But as soon as I did eventually step onto that field I immediately hit a good target – the lead soldier from about 9”. A few more steps on and a solid 12 target, from 5” deep came a…. and I was so genuinely surprised to see it, and there was no reason at all for it not to be here..... the first Roman coin to come from this entire 100 acres of pasture in two years of searching - a 15mm bronze in fairly poor condition, a plough had caught the bust but the reverse shows 'camp gates' it seems of the type minted in Roman Siscia, now Sisak central Croatia in 320AD. It's really hard to get a decent pic of it but this comparison seems to fit quite well?
P1070592a.jpg
A short distance on, a lead spindle whorl came from 9”, and close by a Vicky shilling from about 7” and I'm thinking to myself 'this seems quite a surreal experience, how could I have previously missed these?, four decent targets in 15 mins from a rather well hammered field!', then it was time to go home. So I now look forward to a return trip to see if this was just a fluke or if it will continue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

beaubrummell

Re: Nox likes silver.

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:47 pm

What a great session. Love the silver blade. ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Very interesting indeed. Sounds like it was a lot of FUN!!
I know you did some searching on a potentially good site which was infested with green waste which made it rather a frustrating experience with your old machine. Any plans to have an experimental foray to either confirm or dispel you original feelings?
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 pm

littleboot wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm
I know you did some searching on a potentially good site which was infested with green waste which made it rather a frustrating experience with your old machine. Any plans to have an experimental foray to either confirm or dispel you original feelings?
Definately, as that whole area has proved to hold some nice finds but is more challenging with the greenwaste so just the very occasional visit. The area I was on yesterday holds mostly Victorian, but is much more fun. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Easylife wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 pm
littleboot wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Definately, as that whole area has proved to hold some nice finds but is more challenging with the greenwaste so just the very occasional visit. The area I was on yesterday holds mostly Victorian, but is much more fun. :D
So glad you are enjoying the Nox. It really is a silver hoover. I haven't been going out that much but I've had silver or gold every session for several weeks on the trot. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Cracking group of finds there Easy ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

devonlad

Post by devonlad » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Yes the nox does like silver..

vladorado

Post by vladorado » Tue May 14, 2019 10:08 am

Well done! This is more than I found for the last 6 months. I do not think it is my CTX but more likely it is due to my barren permitions.
My new Equinox 800 is arriving today - it may change my luck.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6", 11" and 17" coils.
Minelab Equinox 800 with 6", 11", 15" coils.
Minelab Pro-find 35, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Nokta Waterproof Pointer.
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA!

ICENI

Post by ICENI » Tue May 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice finds well done ::g
Garrett Seahunter mk 2. with 10" x 14" Elliptical Coil.
Vallon VMH3CS
Nox 600 with 15" coil

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm

More to come easylife-the blade is a cool find ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 pm

very nice well done
South London Metal Detector

Digiffys

Post by Digiffys » Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Decent session there easy well done ::g
History the best story yet!
Xp Deus
Teknetics G2+

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am

Nice selection of finds , would be happy with that lot.
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

cammann

Post by cammann » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

vladorado wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:08 am
Well done! This is more than I found for the last 6 months. I do not think it is my CTX but more likely it is due to my barren permitions.
My new Equinox 800 is arriving today - it may change my luck.
I hope you get time to post a write up to let us know if you notice a difference in the amount you find. I'd be really interested in reading it.
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

Return to “Finds - Stories Forum”