Brass Knob and ally ID Please..

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
ashjacko

Brass Knob and ally ID Please..

Post by ashjacko » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

Hi all! I found these items at the beach last week they were both at around 4 inches down in wet sand near the water edge. They were found with my cheap first detector that I no longer have (it was a copy of the Garrett 250)

The brass knob is too small for a door knob so was wondering if it could of been off a ship?

The bit of what looks like ally is the spit of the end of a tin can but it's a lot thicker and has what looks to be Stanley written on it (tool) and the numbers 01/0 then possibly Japan.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: Brass Knob and ally ID Please..

Post by fred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

That is more than likely a nice little cupboard door knob. It cleaned up very nicely too. No way of knowing what it came from, stuff gets to some very peculiar places ::g

ashjacko

Post by ashjacko » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Very strange how certain things end up at the beach isn't it.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am

Still a very nice example .. did you clean it up? I like it.
Also on the 250 copy, please can you tell us more?
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

I have lots of items like these old knobs that have ended up on fields. I posted up a topic ages ago re if we might be able to salvage any old finds and put them back into use. Strap ends spring to mind, having a beautiful Saxon fitting around your waist each day! I hope to acquire a Georgian house soon and will be looking to check if any door knobs need replacing .. the metals used were good quality, built to last and you see that reflected in door furniture and other adornments.
Excellent photo's by the way, an example to us all ::g Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

ashjacko

Post by ashjacko » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am

oldartefact wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am
Still a very nice example .. did you clean it up? I like it.
Also on the 250 copy, please can you tell us more?
Thank you, I did clean it up it was very dark and dull. The 250/150 copy was a SHUOGOU MD9020C and looked pretty much the same but the quality wasn't there and it wasn't waterproof as it stated hence it going back lol.

ashjacko

Post by ashjacko » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am

liamnolan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am
I have lots of items like these old knobs that have ended up on fields. I posted up a topic ages ago re if we might be able to salvage any old finds and put them back into use. Strap ends spring to mind, having a beautiful Saxon fitting around your waist each day! I hope to acquire a Georgian house soon and will be looking to check if any door knobs need replacing .. the metals used were good quality, built to last and you see that reflected in door furniture and other adornments.
Excellent photo's by the way, an example to us all ::g Liam :;@
I also like reusing things especially old things as I am quite old fashioned, I hope to find the rest of the set lol.

Oh and thank you about the pictures I am a photographer and a member of many other forums so no problem there.

Return to “Identification of Finds”