Button and possible buckle?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
James G

Button and possible buckle?

Post by James G » Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 am

Hi All,

Found these in my father's garden the other night using a Garret 400i, both about 6/7 inches down, and both strong solid signals in the mid 80's.

Firstly the button. Silver in colour and in good condition, roughly the same size as a new 10 pence piece.
button1.jpg
button2.jpg
button3.jpg
It has the words UTRAQUE PALLADE and the face of a dog above a crown. This evening, whilst showing my dad, I gave it a quick clean and noticed the reverse had some words on it. I can make out LONDON at the bottom and above that CASTLE, possible followed by ST and then some other word. The word at the top possibly could be CHRISTIAN.
I did a google based on UTRAQUE PALLADE and came up with the family name BENDICK - their motto is UTRAQUE PALLADE and they have a dog's head on their crest that matches, so a positive id there I believe. They also hailed from near Royston which was where the button was found.
I've tried the silver foil test, but no conclusive result - it's the first time I've ever done it.

My question is does anyone know any more about the family, what metal this could possibly be, and a rough age - I was thinking probably around the mid 19th century.

The 2nd item is unknown but possibly a buckle of some sort or hair clip??? Can't seem to add any more pics so I'll add those afterwards.
It was found approximately 10 ft away from the button.
Any ideas what this could be? I'm not sure what type of metal it is, underneath all the crud it is silver in colour.

What is the best way to clean these items up, so far all I've done is run them under hot water and gently scrub with a toothbrush?

Thanks for any help
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James G

Re: Button and possible buckle?

Post by James G » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 am

Additional pics
buckle.jpg
buckle reverse.jpg
buckle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James G

Post by James G » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am

One more of the back
buckle4.jpg
In the middle at the bottom there is the remains of some mount or attachment

DiOz

Post by DiOz » Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am

That family crest and motto was apparently used by......
"Rev. Richard BENDYSHE, of Barrington, Cambridgeshire, and BENDISH of Steeple-Bamstead, Essex."

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/crestfind ... mily-crest
....Dave. n;

James G

Post by James G » Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 am

Cheers Dave, that actually makes even more sense, as Barrington is only around 2 miles away. Also, if that does say CHRISTIAN on the reverse, that would tie in well.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and research ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri May 19, 2017 12:40 pm

James,
DiOz / Dave is the font of all knowledge re livery buttons and crests and provides many of us with good IDs.

What you have on the back is the makers mark - at the top would be the firms name and at the bottom the address. I am not convinced about the word "Christian", but I can not work out what it is (and about to go out so not time to play), but then as as been proved on here previously I do need to go to specsaver, even if it is it would probably be coincidental that the button belonged to a Rev.

I think what you might have at the bottom of the button is the address "Castle Street Chelsea London"

If you can make out the makers name it could well narrow the date range of the button down.

The best resource that I know for button makers marks is http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html

Evan

James G

Post by James G » Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks Evan, going to take some time to gently clean it and see what gets revealed. Once done, plan is to present to the current owners at Blendyshe Hall. Really appreciate all the info, definitely set me on the right path

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:29 am

Hi lovely button and buckle. ::g
You will be in a better position than us to work out what they are made from as it's not always easy from a photo. The buckle (I'm assuming it is one?) looks like it has a gold wash? It has a silver look about it so it could be silver :D To check if it is silver underneath try the spit and foil test. Spit on some foil and wrap it round the object. If it smells of rotten eggs you have silver. It will probably get hot too if it is silver.
XP Deus
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

James G

Post by James G » Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks Oxford, I'll try that today. Cleaned the button this morning and the manufacturer is T. Shaw, Castel St, Leicester Square, London. I'll update pics later

James G

Post by James G » Mon May 22, 2017 8:57 am

That was supposed to say Oxgirl, I have predictive text !! grr

Anyway, pic updates after cleaning
unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
Thanks everyone for all the help

J ::g

DiOz

Post by DiOz » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Google shows that there's a webpage with "Thomas Shaw, 16 Castle Street Leicester Square, watchmaker" ...but you need to login to access it.
....Dave. n;

James G

Post by James G » Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Cheers Dave, was googling today but with T Shaw, and hits were few and far between. I'll check it out in the morning. Much appreciated ::g

Return to “Identification of Finds”