Groat & another hammered plus bits for ID please

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Giz

Groat & another hammered plus bits for ID please

Post by Giz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Spent an enjoyable warm sunny afternoon on a seeded winter serial field of 30+ acres probably the last visit as the crop is getting quite high, nice lot of finds as you can see in photo 1. lovely Groat, tried to identify it myself with the aid of my Spinks book, however did not see it ;;z small hammered will be a challenge to identify it is 15mm in diameter, I'll have a stab at a Charles 11 twopence :D, shame about the thimble. What looks like a button with a pattern don't get many like that. The last photo is made of lead and looks like a spoon. My question is were spoons made of lead at any time in history. all found with the Deus fast slightly modified programme by reducing discrim to 1, sensitivity 90, TX power 2, full tones, reactivity 3, silencer -1, with the 11 inch coil, would welcome ID's and your thoughts please. ::g
2 In cleaned Groat
8 Some kind of seal
10 Button?
12 Flattened fragmented silver thimble
13 Lead but what, spoon perhaps?
XP Deus, Sovereign GT, Explorer XS, Garrett pro pointer, Grey ghost headphones, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

knotalot

Re: Groat & another hammered plus bits for ID please

Post by knotalot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am

i think thats a henry v11 london groat possibly s2195 ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 am

I think that the little hammy is probably a Lizzy but I am often wrong about hammies. :D

I like the decorated button which looks to date from early to mid Georgian and may have been hand embellished after it had been obtained rather than made that way.

The spoon isn't likely to be lead but rather a lead rich pewter. It was a common material for them and you can usually tell because, unlike lead, it either flakes or blisters when it corrodes. ::g

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 pm

knotalot wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am
i think thats a henry v11 london groat possibly s2195 ::g
I agree, thanks well researched ::g
fred wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 am
I think that the little hammy is probably a Lizzy but I am often wrong about hammies. :D

I like the decorated button which looks to date from early to mid Georgian and may have been hand embellished after it had been obtained rather than made that way.

The spoon isn't likely to be lead but rather a lead rich pewter. It was a common material for them and you can usually tell because, unlike lead, it either flakes or blisters when it corrodes. ::g
I would say your right about the hammered and thanks for your thoughts on the button and spoon, would you be prepared to have a stab at the age of the spoon? ;)
XP Deus, Sovereign GT, Explorer XS, Garrett pro pointer, Grey ghost headphones, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

I sent a picture or your seal on to Stuart Elton - knows all you need to know about seals and he asked me to keep an eye on anything that turned up on the MDF. Apparently you've got a Russian bale seal http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.ph ... g2_page=83

Stuart has sent your picture on to http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSINDENT.htm for info.

hope that helps.

Chris

Return to “Identification of Finds”