tiny annular brooch - new pics added

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Billy Doyle

tiny annular brooch - new pics added

Post by Billy Doyle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Update:
New pictures added at the foot of page 1

Out yesterday evening for a spot of after-work 'tecting and I found what I believe to be my first Annular Brooch...

It was right on the surface (almost)

Gave a pretty reasonable signal

Almost threw it away thinking it was scrap! x;

But is it machine made or man made?

The main thing, it is TINY!!!

n;

Any ideas?

::g

BD
Last edited by Billy Doyle on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Koala

Re: Annular Brooch?

Post by Koala » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Can't tell from the photos is age. What's the other side like. What's it made of.

Nice brooch. Well done.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:37 pm

A lovely Medieval annular brooch Billy ::g
Hopefully there may be more Medieval artefacts/coins in that area.

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Fisher1266X wrote:A lovely Medieval annular brooch Billy ::g
Hopefully there may be more Medieval artefacts/coins in that area.
I agree, very nice too. ::g What is it made of? :D

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Well, I never thought to check for what metal it is, so just tested with the spit and foil, and it is silver! :-O

The back is very plain, just flat. Can take a picture but there's not much to see to be honest.

Any thoughts on what it might have been used for? It's so small 8-|

BD.

Stillburning

Re: Silver annular brooch

Post by Stillburning » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Very nice find, well done ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Nice little turreted Medieval childs annular brooch.....welcome to Treasure. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello 'Billy Doyle' ::g -That's an unusual sized example and well worthy of a call to the Flo. Well done ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Billy Doyle wrote:Well, I never thought to check for what metal it is, so just tested with the spit and foil, and it is silver! :-O

The back is very plain, just flat. Can take a picture but there's not much to see to be honest.

Any thoughts on what it might have been used for? It's so small 8-|

BD.
Well done, that be treasure Billy Doyle! ::g :D

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:41 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:Hello 'Billy Doyle' ::g -That's an unusual sized example and well worthy of a call to the Flo. Well done ::g Regards ss47
Or do the proper legal thing and notify the local coroner. The FLO can come into the equation later....

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't worry, I'll be contacting my FLO after easter. The least I can do is let her have a nice weekend. Fingers crossed the weather is okay for the rest of it, giving me a chance to find some more goodies before Tuesday ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Just e-mail your local coroner....... the FLO has no legal power and the law says you should notify the coroner. The FLO will have the item off you faster than candy from a kid. ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Congratulations - beautiful brooch l;.
XP Deus

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 pm

jcmaloney wrote:Just e-mail your local coroner....... the FLO has no legal power and the law says you should notify the coroner. The FLO will have the item off you faster than candy from a kid. ::g
An FLO really does now have the designated legal authority to act on behalf of the Coroner. While the Coroner retains overall responsibility for treasure notifying an FLO of possible treasure is exactly the same in law as notifying a Coroner. There is also the added practical advantage that when you contact an FLO you can arrange to hand the item over at the same time. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
sweepstick47 wrote:Hello 'Billy Doyle' ::g -That's an unusual sized example and well worthy of a call to the Flo. Well done ::g Regards ss47
Or do the proper legal thing and notify the local coroner. The FLO can come into the equation later....
Surely, the 'proper' thing to do would be to obtain a positive identification of the item first, by for example alerting the FLO before notifying the Coroner that an inquest 'may be required' (if the find is subsequently correctly identified and found to fall within the reporting criteria). Rather this than end up disrupting the Coroners 'Court Schedule' on an assumption. (not to mention the very public 'egg on the face' to contend with. It just seems so more logical and practical in my view.

Having said that, I'd be the last person to testify as to the practicality and logic of some of the decisions arrived at via our current legal processes :-O :D Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:
Surely, the 'proper' thing to do would be to obtain a positive identification of the item first, by for example alerting the FLO before notifying the Coroner that an inquest 'may be required' (if the find is subsequently correctly identified and found to fall within the reporting criteria). Rather this than end up disrupting the Coroners 'Court Schedule' on an assumption. (not to mention the very public 'egg on the face' to contend with. It just seems so more logical and practical in my view.

Having said that, I'd be the last person to testify as to the practicality and logic of some of the decisions arrived at via our current legal processes :-O :D Regards ss47
The requirement is to report treasure within 14 days of finding it or within 14 days of realising that it might be treasure. Once you have reported it you will be advised how to hand it over, which may take ages. ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Gawd the argument of coroner v FLO gets covered every time treasure may/ has been found. The answer is either will do, and the suggestion a positive ID being sought first sounds very sensible. Great find, let's keep it focussed on the beautiful brooch :D
XP Deus

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:25 am

Anyone got a reference to such a small brooch, silver, with raised decoration.

Been looking can't find a similar one.

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:17 am

I have taken some new picture as the previous ones did not do it justice. It has been cleaned to get the dirt off and I hope you like the results [:)

Here it is amongst the other bits I found on that session - it is on the far right if you can't see it!
n;

Here it is next to a 20p so you can see how small it is:

Front:

Back:

It was found using my Deus, the 9" HF coil on my adapted 'SidHFPro' program at about an inch or two below the surface. A clean signal in the 40's IIRC

BD
::g

fred

Re: Silver annular brooch - New pics added

Post by fred » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

That is extremely small indeed, even for an annular brooch. I think that you might well have a Medieval toy annular brooch in silver. It must have belonged to somebody very important indeed and I suspect that it will turn out to be rather special and pretty important. Very well done. ::g

There are plenty of examples online of full size one decorated in a similar manner but nothing that small as far as I can tell.

Return to “Identification of Finds”