IMPORTANT - Identification of Finds Titles

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
mrix
Founder

IMPORTANT - Identification of Finds Titles

Post by mrix » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello all, this a huge undertaking and a little late in the day to be asking this but one of our most popular forums is the Identification of finds forum, when anyone has a successful ID could you please make the effort to change the title of your id topic to something like....

What`s this Please - Identification made Henry Vlll Penny 1535

ID Please - Identification made James 1st Dump Penny 1719

Any idea`s - Identification made Duortriges, Stater 50AD

This will make the identifications forum topics a far more useful resource not only for members searching the site but for countless people searching the various search engines for an ID or information etc.

This is a Big ask but if you could go through your personal ID topics and amend them when you find a moment that would be great ::g

As mentioned already, this is such a huge undertaking that its only really achievable if everyone can muck in etc ::g
I can understand you are restricted to how much you can add to the title but its very important not to add basic titles like, henry penny, Groat, George 1st as these are common keywords, please be more specific on what the coin actually is, for example if you were doing a search for the coin within your topic that`s just been ID what would you put? ::g

Huge Thanks to all
Cheers
mrix

Philthy Phil

Re: IMPORTANT - Identification of Finds

Post by Philthy Phil » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Fair point, well made...........mine's been retitled accordingly :D :D
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 stock & 6" coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 25
S&J Minishovel
Blackhawk kneepads
Trusty Zippo
Lucky horseshoes

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Great stuff Phil! ::g
Unfortunately the title "A lovely jetton identified by hammyman" will not really help the cause because the only keyword people will search for is jetton which will bring up hundreds / thousands of topics containing the keyword jetton and over time we will see duplicate titles etc, if members could be a little more specific what type of Jetton / coin it is etc.
Thanks Phil
mrix

King cnut

Post by King cnut » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:31 pm

thats a great idea and what about a little icon saying next to the thread saying its been ID and solved :-/
This is my metal detector
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
My metal detector is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.
My metal detector without me is useless. Without my metal detector, I am useless....

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I have found some of mine and updated them ::g

Dave ';

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 pm

thats a great idea and what about a little icon saying next to the thread saying its been ID and solved
Sounds a good idea but not one I can really implement myself unfortunately.
Thanks
mrix

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 pm

mrix wrote:
thats a great idea and what about a little icon saying next to the thread saying its been ID and solved
Thanks
mrix
I have noticed that it is not possible to put smilies in headline text.. If it was it could be just a small smily.. And for the un idéd - I hope some read my post suggesting a gallery with no Id´d ones..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Danzigman wrote:
mrix wrote:
Thanks
mrix
I have noticed that it is not possible to put smilies in headline text.. If it was it could be just a small smily.. And for the un idéd - I hope some read my post suggesting a gallery with no Id´d ones..
That is a good idea John, a rogues gallery of the unidentified :D :D :D ::g

Danzigman

Re: IMPORTANT - Identification of Finds Titles

Post by Danzigman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks AOO.. Basic idea can be read in this post litte down.. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the curious the danish version can be seen here - it is a small small forum But out in rigth side just left to "Udvalgte Fund" (these are best find last month or more) comes category "arkive" then with those with no ID on.Then coin with no Id on. Just an Idea - http://nordek.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John
EDIT 22/7 Last nigth I put in wrong link to basic idea post - here correct on is viewtopic.php?f=42&t=31960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Danzigman on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Danzigman wrote:Thanks AOO.. Basic idea can be read in this post litte down.. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the curious the danish version can be seen here - it is a small small forum But out in rigth side just left to "Udvalgte Fund" (these are best find last month or more) comes category "arkive" then with those with no ID on.Then coin with no Id on. Just an Idea - http://nordek.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John
That's a nice looking forum John, sorry for hijacking the post mrix,
PLEASE CHANGE HEADINGS WHEN ITEM IS IDed
:D :D :D ::g

biro

Post by biro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I also think that the person who identifies the item could hint at the end of his post to remind the original poster to put solved in the headline.
Regards Biro..........

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Thought I would bring this to members attention again as we have had lots of ID requests such as Any idea's? ID needed Another from today etc
Your valued find forms part of a FINDS reference library for others to trawl through later on, they can examine your coin or artefact and compare it with theirs. By having a title then its easier to find comparisons. Titles such as "Strange hammy with horse" "Pot leg?) "Poss Iceni unit?" "Tiny thimble" and so on is much more useful. I do appreciate that some coins and artefacts are total mysteries but when an ID is agreed, then please change the title of your ID request, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Would it perhaps be possible to edit the post when updating by colour coding the title after ID made, or partial ID made as space is limited for description title? also the responsibility is on the original poster, less for the mods to do? Just a though.

Colours and layout could be decided on by mods

as below
"XXXX (item) XXX" = Request for ID when posting

"XXXX (item) XXXXX" = ID made

"XXX XXXX" = Partial ID made

Regards Steve

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Thanks Steve, some very good suggestions there. If a finder simply puts Potin or Lizzie or celtic unit or sword harness or whatever in the title then anyone using the Search button on the Menu list will be able to narrow down his search considerably. Another problem is multiple items included in one ID request. Where do you start? Best to sort out individual items into single ID requests for the more important items as you then get much more detailed feedback info.
Have a look at the ID requests over the past few days as an example.
I sound like a real moaner I know, I am not really that type! ::g Its just that we have some super items come up now and then and lost forever within the forums archives as the titles don't help, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 am

I’m bumping this because I keep forgetting to change the title after a successful ID and it looks like i’m not the only one. Some of the newer members might not know it’s even required.
XP Deus
8 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Return to “Identification of Finds”