Toasted coins?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
MT83

Toasted coins?

Post by MT83 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi all, have only been detecting for a short while, I haven't really found much of note yet but nether the less this has not deterred me from enjoying the hobby
I am desperate to find a nice coin but so far no joy, I have however found these 'coins', all in the same field, I can only assume they are coins because they are in really bad condition and I cannot see anything on them at all.
I have tried some DIY electrolysis because I thought I've nothing to lose which has cleaned them up but still no detail.
'Coin' number 3 isn't too badly pitted or anything but is completely smooth.
If they are coins why are they so toasted, is it because they are a couple hundred years old or is it to do with soil conditions, i.e.acidity maybe? It's so disappointing to see this coin in the ground and then pull it out only for it to be rough!!
Any advice will be greatly recieved!
20191201_190550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: Toasted coins?

Post by fred » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 pm

They look like standard worn Georgian halfpennies, although thay could even be a ruler or two prior to that. Look at the edges of the coins and see if you notice anything odd, like a groove running around the middle. If it's there it will narrow the date to 1799 for the larger one and 1806/7 for the other two.
Equinox 800 x2

MT83

Post by MT83 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Thankyou for the advice, I must admit by measuring them I thought that they might be half pennies, I have now looked at the edges and I can see no groove.. It's so frustrating that the only 3 coins I have ever found are all in such bad condition.

hartsman

Post by hartsman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm

I would keep water away from copper coins and just rub them (when dry) between your thumb and forefinger to try and enhance any detail remaining.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 pm

MT83 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm
Thankyou for the advice, I must admit by measuring them I thought that they might be half pennies, I have now looked at the edges and I can see no groove.. It's so frustrating that the only 3 coins I have ever found are all in such bad condition.

Ah well, nothing for it but to get back out and find something more readily identifiable then! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 pm

MT83 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm
They can be frustrating but Georgian coppers are more likely to come up toasted than recognisable. You could try gently rubbing them with fine wire wool. That will sometimes highlight sufficient detail to recognise the monarch.
It doesn't seem five minutes ago that I was in exactly the same position as you are today. Experience will tell you which coppers you may be able to recognise with a little work and which go straight in the scrap bin. That's how it is.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

staters quo

Post by staters quo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 pm

hartsman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm
I would keep water away from copper coins and just rub them (when dry) between your thumb and forefinger to try and enhance any detail remaining.
Exactly my philosophy. It's difficult to resist cleaning but they're really at their best without the water. A certain amount of mud allows the detail to show through.

Don't worry about them being rough and illegible, Georgians are everywhere and they're almost all like this. Makes the silver Romans and hammereds all the better when they pop up!

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 am

It's frustrating to have coins that can't be id'd, and like others say I would also generally leave them alone, or at most rub down the surface without cleaning, as in fine sandpaper or wire wool etc. I think soil conditions are very responsible for them being pitted, because where I have detected (southern europe) often five hundred year old copper comes out of the ground very detailed and unpitted usually. Other times copper based coins will have a hard intact patina, almost like stone. I think bronze behaves differently depending on its alloy. Usually coins that are pitted come from humid farmland where I detect - watered or low lying, with fertilizer used possibly. You can try to ID them all the same, but once you find more intact ones often they tend to just get put to one side, which is a bit of a shame also. If you want a good range of coins to compare to there is this site

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index. ... te=y&cat=y

here I chose copper to your dimensions, advanced search allows a different choice of parameters. Weight will be out a bit for corrosion, but at least you know that used will be minimum and so exclude lighter coins. Also I always get confused when people say Georgian, which George !?

::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 am

Incognito wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 am
Also I always get confused when people say Georgian, which George !?

It's a Brit thing, we know! ::g

PS After the Stuarts and before Victoria (and yes, one of the Georgians was called William). :D
Equinox 800 x2

pengles

Post by pengles » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:33 am

MT, It's frustrating isn't it.. Personally I think years of chemicals/fertilisers/weed suppressants going into fields alongside different soil make-ups will adversely affect mainly copper alloy coins. Some of the fields I detect in (In fact most), coins come out barely recognisable. Been picking up a few small Romans lately from one field in particular and they are in really bad condition. Other fields in my permissions and different areas I detect in don't seem to affect them so much. Been looking at an area recently which is very chalky, and coins have been coming out not too bad. Silver doesn't seem to be affected so much, and the one (small) piece of a gold ring I picked up recently didn't look like it had been in the ground at all.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:37 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 am
Incognito wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 am
Also I always get confused when people say Georgian, which George !?

It's a Brit thing, we know! ::g

PS After the Stuarts and before Victoria (and yes, one of the Georgians was called William). :D
Are you questioning my origins fred :D

It has just been a while since I lived in UK and so I'm not that familiar with the term - I always looked back and found George VI and stopped there , because it just seemed silly saying Georgian to cover over 200 years of history. :D

targets

Post by targets » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:11 pm

good coins are only likely to come from rivers as thees no acids or contaminants

heres 1 from the thames in mint condition

occasionally you may find 1 on a field but theyre mostly shagged
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:33 pm

targets wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:11 pm
good coins are only likely to come from rivers as thees no acids or contaminants

heres 1 from the thames in mint condition

occasionally you may find 1 on a field but theyre mostly shagged
Does the Thames still have oxygen in it 8-| ( and by coincidence there is Dirty Old Town drifting through from next door :D , though I guess water quality has a lot of attention nowadays) . We used to catch eels and perch, I guess they are still there, maybe under mud coins are protected also ?

Nice coin ::g

Pengles, where I find good old copper based coins is on higher less cultivated ground. The best come from limestone / chalk areas, as well as shale with little topsoil. Pretty much away from industrial areas for most of my detecting also.

targets

Post by targets » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:38 pm

theres barges pumping oxygen into the thames where its needed
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

deepdig

Post by deepdig » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi, i have posted this before, best thing since sliced bread,I use this on all BRASS-- COPPER--SILVER--GOLD you name it one thing you don`t use it on is steel
Have used it on hammys gold rings with stones set in and silver rings silver chains gets in nucks and crannys also the answer to your question is buy this stuff, it is called SAFE PICKLE but don`tell any body it`s our secret, don`t use it on good copper coins you want to keep.
You can get it on the net got mine from Fle Bay.
How i use it is to buy a slow cooker about £13.00 this has a pot inner also you can warm it up if you want works just as well cold i use this for all my small items, then for big copper and brass items i use a big storage box 2`2` and 2` deep make a batch in that it will last forever, once you have left your bits in for a few mins take out dunk in water wipe off dunk again if need be.
I go to a lot of auctions and buy old blow lamps and big items of brass and copper drop it in 5 mins
job done, use a piece of wood or plastic to remove items hope this helps.
Regards Deepdig.

MT83

Post by MT83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Thankyou everybody for all of your advice and encouragement it is very much appreciated to A newbie like me. One thing that I have learnt in my short time doing this is that patience is key so
I shall continue hunting for my first reasonably detailed coin, I suppose the good thing is that I'm finding them even though they are trashed. On to the next hole!!!

MT83

Post by MT83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:39 pm

deepdig wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:21 pm
Hi, i have posted this before, best thing since sliced bread,I use this on all BRASS-- COPPER--SILVER--GOLD you name it one thing you don`t use it on is steel
Have used it on hammys gold rings with stones set in and silver rings silver chains gets in nucks and crannys also the answer to your question is buy this stuff, it is called SAFE PICKLE but don`tell any body it`s our secret, don`t use it on good copper coins you want to keep.
You can get it on the net got mine from Fle Bay.
How i use it is to buy a slow cooker about £13.00 this has a pot inner also you can warm it up if you want works just as well cold i use this for all my small items, then for big copper and brass items i use a big storage box 2`2` and 2` deep make a batch in that it will last forever, once you have left your bits in for a few mins take out dunk in water wipe off dunk again if need be.
I go to a lot of auctions and buy old blow lamps and big items of brass and copper drop it in 5 mins
job done, use a piece of wood or plastic to remove items hope this helps.
Regards Deepdig.
Thanks deepdig I will look into that, worth knowing for future finds.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”