Half coin??

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Southcoastsoftee

Half coin??

Post by Southcoastsoftee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Good evening, I’m after a bit of help I D ing what I think is maybe a cut half? But I’m not so sure. I can’t even decide what material it is. There’s not a great deal to ‘go on’ but if anyone has any ideas at all I’d be most interested to hear them. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MPower

Re: Half coin??

Post by MPower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Southcoastsoftee
The bottom pic you Can see some detail, and if you look close at the bottom picture, to the right hand side flan, you can see part of a possible coin where the crustation has chipped away.
Think a quick Zap would reveal more.
Good luck.
𝖕𝖊𝖗 𝖈𝖗𝖚𝖈𝖊𝖒 𝖆𝖉 𝖈𝖔𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖒

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I think that in order to get any form of 'idea' on this one, an attempt to identify the metal and accordingly try to remove at least some of the time built 'crust' so that perhaps some recognisable detail is revealed. Just the outline of a bust would be of help. If you have scales, the weight of the 'half' may add to the overall information as would showing a measurement of the diameter.
Good Luck.::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Southcoastsoftee

Post by Southcoastsoftee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Mpower, I have no means of giving it a zap I’m afraid. Do you recommend any other methods of revealing details? Hi Ss47, I’ve got accurate scales at work, so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow I’m afraid. Thanks very much for the replies.👍

MPower

Post by MPower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Southcoastsoftee wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Hi Mpower, I have no means of giving it a zap I’m afraid. Do you recommend any other methods of revealing details? Hi Ss47, I’ve got accurate scales at work, so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow I’m afraid. Thanks very much for the replies.👍
I think SS47's method is probably saver, and more professional.
I'd hate to say soak it In white vinigar over night, just I case you etch it.
When it could be something special. Take your time, and see what the qualified say.
Good luck.
𝖕𝖊𝖗 𝖈𝖗𝖚𝖈𝖊𝖒 𝖆𝖉 𝖈𝖔𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖒

Southcoastsoftee

Post by Southcoastsoftee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm

MPower wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm
Southcoastsoftee wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:19 pm
I think SS47's method is probably saver, and more professional.
I'd hate to say soak it In white vinigar over night, just I case you etch it.
When it could be something special. Take your time, and see what the qualified say.
Good luck.

Thanks Mpower, I do appreciate the input.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 am

I doubt if warm water and a stiffish old toothbrush would do any harm just to clear the offending loose debris.
in the blue panel over there l;/ under the heading 'Main' is the 'Cleaning Forum' which contains technical (and not so technical) information and advice on cleaning various metallic items removed from the ground. It's worth a browse for reference. ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm

I doubt it is a cut half in the sense we normally refer a coin to be. Its usually only Silver coins that are referred to as "cut halves". But ! saying that, I suppose technically any coin thats been cut in half is a cut half. :D
That coin is showing green verdigris on its surface, and that mostly appears on " Copper or bronze" coins .It can appear on Silver coins which have been fused together in a "hoard" ,but that's unlikely here I`d guess. There also appear to be spots on it where very small minute brown areas are showing through which to me indicate a copper existence below. So my guess would be, it`s half a copper coin and I`d be really surprised if it turned out to be Silver. Of course, I`d be pleased for you if indeed it did turn out to be Silver, but don`t hold your breath.
Personally, I don`t think you`ve got anything to lose by trying to get rid of the crud.

Southcoastsoftee

Post by Southcoastsoftee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Bors wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm
I doubt it is a cut half in the sense we normally refer a coin to be. Its usually only Silver coins that are referred to as "cut halves". But ! saying that, I suppose technically any coin thats been cut in half is a cut half. :D
That coin is showing green verdigris on its surface, and that mostly appears on " Copper or bronze" coins .It can appear on Silver coins which have been fused together in a "hoard" ,but that's unlikely here I`d guess. There also appear to be spots on it where very small minute brown areas are showing through which to me indicate a copper existence below. So my guess would be, it`s half a copper coin and I`d be really surprised if it turned out to be Silver. Of course, I`d be pleased for you if indeed it did turn out to be Silver, but don`t hold your breath.
Personally, I don`t think you`ve got anything to lose by trying to get rid of the crud.
I’m 99.9 percent sure it’s not silver, ( but not sure what) I’ve read on the ‘cleaning section ‘ that it would appear unless it is silver I’m wasting my time giving it a zapping, so what’s the best route to take with regards to cleaning? Thanks all. 👍

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm

You're certainly not wasting your time zapping copper alloy. I do it all the time just to get rid of the thick crud and get half a chance at an ID. Only on worthless, otherwise unidentifiable coins, of course.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Seems to have the markings of a token of some sort, looking forward to seeing it less covered, is it folded over? Some tokens are very thin, thanks for sharing, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I think Liam's right. Top pic could be upside-down and be a crowned shield so you could be looking at something like a spade guinea token
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm

People seem to have cut coins in half for all sorts of reasons. Personally, I would give it a little soak and brush.

Brad
rsz_p1040087.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”