Not of any age, but stumped with ID

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
pengles

Not of any age, but stumped with ID

Post by pengles » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am

At the weekend I got a request from a friend from a nearby archaeology society wondering if I could spend a couple of days with them as detectorist as they had identified a possible Roman site with geophysics. The results showed 'blobs' and possible ditches etc in a pasture field.

The weather on Saturday was dreadful, but I helped start one of the test pits before targeting where the archaeologist in charge wanted me to detect. Turned up a few Roman coins and a bronze pot handle and some non metal finds came out of the pits.

The following day was lovely weather wise so I carried on around the marked area, again turning up a few Roman coins. When they stopped for lunch (very civilised) I decided to have a poke around at the edge of the field and came up with a pressed metal plaque. Prog 2, no tweaks and about 4" down in rough pasture.

They found parallel ditches cut through chalk, and after running the detector along the bottom of a pit, about 4 feet down, got a banging signal in the mid 70's. The boss carefully scraped at the the loose chalk and came up with a Roman brooch that he's convinced was put there as a votive offering. Sorry, no picture of the brooch as it's covered in crud and needs conserving. The plaque is a pressed sheet of copper alloy and is of no great age, but I've attached pictures as I'm curious as to know what it's from. presumably some sort of brand or an advert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XP Deus Light
GP pointer

FUBAR

Re: Not of any age, but stumped with ID

Post by FUBAR » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am

Great find. Thanks for posting.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 am

Nice little find - I'd guess match box cover - Art-Nouveau ish
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 am

Not pretty enough for art nouveau. To me it looks like Queen Anne.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am

Great story and good that you have been invited to help out. Re the plaque, what makes you think it has no age? Certainly looks interesting ::g My club helps out with detecting for underlying archaeology on road building, more of that to come with a planned outer ring road and it will be an exciting time as its also a wonderful opportunity for me to learn from archaeologists and others doing their own specific tasks, thanks for sharing, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:59 am

Brilliant finds on a dedicated area, and good to see positive liason between archies and ourselves. Can only be good for the future πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

The style of the sword seems 18th/19th century.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Spearhead wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm
The style of the sword seems 18th/19th century.
Sword!, I'd not even spotted the sword. :D

at the bottom of the photo, are there 2 rivets / mountings, just below the feet?
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm

No, not rivets, just part of the pattern. The only visible 'fixing' is the hole at the top.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm

liamnolan wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am
Great story and good that you have been invited to help out. Re the plaque, what makes you think it has no age? Certainly looks interesting ::g My club helps out with detecting for underlying archaeology on road building, more of that to come with a planned outer ring road and it will be an exciting time as its also a wonderful opportunity for me to learn from archaeologists and others doing their own specific tasks, thanks for sharing, Liam ::g
Ah yes. It obviously has some 'age to it, but can't be very old as it has been done on a press. With regard to the archaeology bit, I'm on our village history society committee and once a month throughout the spring/summer we do our own test pit digs under the supervision of a county archaeologist Very interesting stuff.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 am

reminds me of the Roman Statue of Wounded Amazon.. but not a great interpretation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_statue_types

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 am

I am really not sure what to make of it but I like it. ::g

Pressed brass (as opposed to cast or hammered) wasn't used until the late 18thC. The somewhat unflattering figure seems to be walking at night? in a landscape after a battle (building, sword, discarded bonnet? etc.). What is the strange double yoke shaped object?

It almost looks like an allegorical figure of revolution or battle but isn't quite right and it's not well executed. And why the single fixing hole? Perhaps a memorial plaque? It might have been done by somebody elsewhere with no knowledge of the things that are depicted.

Sorry, far more questions than answers. :D
Equinox 800 x2

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 am

fred wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 am
I am really not sure what to make of it but I like it. ::g

Pressed brass (as opposed to cast or hammered) wasn't used until the late 18thC. The somewhat unflattering figure seems to be walking at night? in a devastated landscape (building, sword, discarded bonnet? etc.). What is the strange double yoke shaped object?

It almost looks like an allegorical figure of revolution or battle but isn't quite right and it's not well executed. And why the single fixing hole? Perhaps a memorial plaque? It might have been done by somebody elsewhere with no knowledge of the things that are depicted.

Sorry, far more questions than answers. :D
Thanks Fred. It's not brass, actually a copper alloy. I can see the copper colour where it's creased across the legs. But I make you right in that it could be as early as late 18th century.

Just reminds me of a 'brand' logo that might have been pinned to a box of goods. Probably way out. The on site archaeologist wasn't sure, so a bit more research is needed methinks.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 pm

thinking upon what fred wrote..and a possible time frame..i did think at first its WW1 related but then sword more type you would associate with a conflict like the Crimea like the curved ones used by the cavalry. But then there is the other item that seems to be turban like and it got me thinking it could be the goddess Britannia. Britannia being the female personification of Britain walking the battlefield after a heavy defeat possibly during the conflict with india or Anglo-Afghan wars.ie Khyber.Pass .. seems period of item therefore it may be depicting something along these lines.other than that im at a loss...quite an interesting find ::g ::g

Johnnn

Post by Johnnn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Probably Turkish or near country...HH...john

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Hold on a sort of lady with a beard? Very unusual imagery for this type of plaque :-w
XP Deus !!Β£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:49 pm
Hold on a sort of lady with a beard? Very unusual imagery for this type of plaque :-w
Indeed, a bird or bloke? :D
It appears to be a desert scene with that camel?
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Easylife wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

:-/
Equinox 800 x2

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 pm

fred wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Easylife wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

:-/
I like it a lot, it's like one of those pictures where you just keep noticing more and more things. So is that a gun above the sword? And is that a bird just to the left of their head?
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 am

I think were now starting to let our imaginations run riot . :))
I can see a Poirot moustache at the bottom of the picture !! x;

It could be off a cigarette case.
Last edited by Bors on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Englishviking

Post by Englishviking » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 am

To me, it looks like something that made its way to here from india, Perhaps a box bearing treasures!!!:) haha, just a little idea that came to mind. Probably inaccurate.

Return to β€œIdentification of Finds Forum”