Key,any ideas of age.

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Badger1935

Key,any ideas of age.

Post by Badger1935 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Found this key today on a pasture field near Northallerton.It was at about 8 inches deep.Found with Equinox 800.Unfortunately it broke in half when recovering it.It appears to be of a bronze metal.We found a few Roman bronze coins at the same time.Idea of age would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lowland

Re: Key,any ideas of age.

Post by Lowland » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi badger,
Not sure on age other than old,
But either way that’s a great find
::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

hartsman

Post by hartsman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Nice find, late medieval.
Easily repairable. A piece of dowel to join each part and some two part epoxy filler along with some appropriate water colour paints to match, a bit of wax to protect and you could create an invisible repair. It's fun to do restorations when detecting is slow and it can really enhance your collection. ::g

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am

Hi.spearhead.
I decided to take your advice and have a go at restoring the key.I bought some"rapid steel putty" from a car parts shop.Pinned the two halves together and joined them using the putty.There was no need to colour the repair it blended in almost perfect,carefuiiy smoothed it and waxed it.I am more than delighted with the result.Thanks for giving me the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 am

Badger1935 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am
Hi.spearhead.
I decided to take your advice and have a go at restoring the key.I bought some"rapid steel putty" from a car parts shop.Pinned the two halves together and joined them using the putty.There was no need to colour the repair it blended in almost perfect,carefuiiy smoothed it and waxed it.I am more than delighted with the result.Thanks for giving me the idea.
A great job, well done. That is so much better than having a broken artefact.
You just need to make the wooden display stand now :D

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:26 am

Hi John, lovely item to find, thanks for sharing ::g Excellent ID topic by the way, bags of information. These keys would have been a sad loss for someone, they would have valued having a detector! Well found and pleased to note your excellent vintage in years, gives me hope for my new right knee that is not yet reconciled with the rest of my leg! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

Hi.Liam.Strange co-incedence I am having a right knee full replacement in about six weeks so Detecting is going to have to go on hold just as the crops will be coming off.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

Hi John, happy to share my TKR (total knee replacement) experiences via a PM if you wish. The post op exercises are crucial. In my case there seems to be some tissue behind the knee that is now limiting my leg extension and that may need sorting out. No doubt you will be surrounded by all types of expert advice, hope all goes well for you. Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

Hi,

Lovely key and a good repair job but...

Not wanting to put a damper on it, if this is indeed medieval and therefore recordable on PAS it would probably have been better to show it to FLO before fixing it up...

Hopefully you've done that and it's just not mentioned in your original post...

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am
Hi,

Lovely key and a good repair job but...

Not wanting to put a damper on it, if this is indeed medieval and therefore recordable on PAS it would probably have been better to show it to FLO before fixing it up...

Hopefully you've done that and it's just not mentioned in your original post...

Z
Nothing has been detracted by restoring the key. Recording two parts or a single repaired key on PAS makes no difference. This is a simple and sympathetic restoration that does no harm, the opposite in fact.
I would seriously question the FLO if they made adverse comments about it, if they did question it I wonder what they think about enthusiasts restoring and rebuilding model T Fords, maybe they would prefer to see them in rusty heaps on wasteland around the country?

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:29 pm

I can see both sides of the argument. If it was the Crosby Helmet then the coming together of all the component parts needs expert handling, but this key shank falls short of that challenge and also adds a dimension of practicality in how it would have been used,originally looked, so a sympathetic restoration (in my view!) Liam :;@

Badger1935

Post by Badger1935 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Surely it is better to sympathetically restore the key to more or less what it was before "I" broke it on recovering it.and not due to natural breakage due to time.I know of some detectorist who would have junked the bits in the hedge back.I don't think it will detract from any information that a FLO might get from it.Just my thoughts.

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with it being fixed, I just think it might have been better to show the FLO before doing work on it... just in case...

All the best guys
Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”