Ostrich Livery Button for ID please.

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Wigeon

Ostrich Livery Button for ID please.

Post by Wigeon » Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm

This livery button came from a farmhouse site on peat fen. The majority of the finds have been Georgian and Victorian. Found with the E-trac on multi-conductive, tadpole pattern, smooth response. Only about four inches deep in freshly ploughed peat. Not the best of detecting conditions but we only had a couple of days before the potatoes were planted.

The front shows an ostrich with something in its beak. The back-mark is P&S FIRMIN LONDON.
UKDFD gives the year 1837 for this, which would fit nicely with the overall finds from this site.

Found in North Cambridgeshire, which at that time was Huntingdonshire. Only about a mile from the site of Whittlsea Mere, where lots of gentry used to gather for regattas. Also lots of game shooting in that area.

Kev Woodward's website gives Lindsay family of Scotland and Perth Australia, which could account for the Ostrich perhaps. What are your thoughts on ID please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

shaggybfc

Re: Ostrich Livery Button for ID please.

Post by shaggybfc » Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/liverybut ... ---ostrich

Yes, I'd go with the Lindsay family as well ::g
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

DiOz

Post by DiOz » Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm

....Dave. n;

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm

DiOz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm
Families that used that crest... https://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/cr ... x?id=79689

Thank you DiOz. ::g Thats certainly opened up the possibilities! I shall have to start looking through those names for any local connections. x;

Any idea as to what the ostrich is holding in its beak? Could it be a snake or similar?
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

DiOz

Post by DiOz » Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Wigeon wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm
DiOz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm
Families that used that crest... https://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/cr ... x?id=79689

Thank you DiOz. ::g Thats certainly opened up the possibilities! I shall have to start looking through those names for any local connections. x;

Any idea as to what the ostrich is holding in its beak? Could it be a snake or similar?
Click on one of the family names...each has a crest description. ::g
....Dave. n;

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”