Strange crucifix broken hand

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Diogo

Strange crucifix broken hand

Post by Diogo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:58 am

Hello there,

The reason I’m writing this is that, a couple of months ago I went to my family property, having owner authorization under nice weather in an area which has lots of history (mostly Roman age finds).
My intention was to perform metal detecting around that area in an open space. Dry soil and hard to dig in south Europe.
I saw myself finding a very curious piece only around 10cm depth (pictures attached).
Looks like a hand from some kind of crucifix but with a ring on a broken wrist in an odd position to make it an amulet.

I need this forum help to identify the object with as much information as possible =D>

Thank you
::g ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Re: Strange crucifix broken hand

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 am

Well if it's part of a full figurine then it would have been about 40cm wide. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:43 am

I would have said that it was a fixing ring for holding it in place. Not sure if it was part of a crucifix though as no obvious sign of a nail. Perhaps another religious figure? :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am

It could be the little loop was designed for sticking a flower or two in it ,so the figure it has broken off was holding some small flower/s in its hand . As Fred suggested It`s Probably off a religious figurine , such as Holy Mother Mary or a Saint .

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

I do think there is a sign of where the 'nail' is signified on the palm of the hand so I do think it is part of a crucifix.
From the style of the hand it belongs to a period when Christ was portrayed as alive...the wrists do not droop and the hand is not curled and no attempt is made to dramatize the torment of Christ (that only became the style from the Gothic period onwards.)
So on the assumption it is part of a crucifix it seems likely that it is 12th century or earlier IMHO.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:39 am

yes, I too see what looks like it now you`ve mentioned it. ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

What does the back of the hand look like - does it have detail or is it plain?
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Diogo

Post by Diogo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am
What does the back of the hand look like - does it have detail or is it plain?
The back its quite similar, you can notice the "nail" there too like in front.

Diogo

Post by Diogo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:11 am

Any more thaughts or suggestions?
Also I can note that the wrist is broken like it was connected to something beyond the ring. You can see in one of the pictures.

::g :)

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 am

It only just occurred to me that when a priest gives a blessing (Catholic Church) he makes the sign of the cross over the heads of the congregation. I’m almost certain he only uses 3 fingers, the little one being crossed to the palm.
Made me wonder if maybe your find was attached to a staff carried by either a priest our Bishop during ceremonies. Must be old if it is because these days they carry a souped up version of a shepherds crook.
Have no idea where to look for examples. Just a thought for further investigation.

Diogo

Post by Diogo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:08 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 am
It only just occurred to me that when a priest gives a blessing (Catholic Church) he makes the sign of the cross over the heads of the congregation. I’m almost certain he only uses 3 fingers, the little one being crossed to the palm.
Made me wonder if maybe your find was attached to a staff carried by either a priest our Bishop during ceremonies. Must be old if it is because these days they carry a souped up version of a shepherds crook.
Have no idea where to look for examples. Just a thought for further investigation.
What about if the ring was used to suspend the crucifix on a elevated place? With currents or wires out of each wrist?
I’m very curious regarding this find because there’s only reports about Iron and Roman age finds on this spot and no medieval things.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:37 pm

It’s always the same story with individual finds. Unless another one has previously been found and fully ID’d we can only speculate.
It can be useful to draw conclusions from previous knowledge but it can also be dangerous and take you down the wrong road.

Over the years I’ve been Detecting I’ve found a few ‘bits’ I couldn’t ID but just knew they were interesting. It’s amazing how the resolution suddenly turns up, sometimes ages later, when you’re looking for something unrelated.
It’s like a light bulb flashing on. See something, think I’ve got one of those and bingo, there it is.

Best of luck with further research ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Over the years I’ve been Detecting I’ve found a few ‘bits’ I couldn’t ID but just knew they were interesting. It’s amazing how the resolution suddenly turns up, sometimes ages later, when you’re looking for something unrelated.
It’s like a light bulb flashing on. See something, think I’ve got one of those and bingo, there it is.
But too late as you weighed it in with the scrap last time. :D Ok, well I did. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 am

Easylife wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 pm
Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:37 pm

But too late as you weighed it in with the scrap last time. :D Ok, well I did. x;
Once found a BA chisel in my scrap bucket! Whoops! :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am

Never throw out an ‘oddity’ sooner or later it’s use will be ID’d ::g

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”