Bomb stops play!

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
gravelmonkey

Bomb stops play!

Post by gravelmonkey »

This morning, I went down for another sweep of Bigbury on sea following my recent disappointing afternoon where I snapped the sand scoop handle within 25 minutes of arrival.

As I walked down to the beach I passed two police cars, one with a sign saying "EOD: down slipway, 100m on left".

Wandered over to the officers on duty, thought best to see what was going on given the likelyhood of detectorists finding ordanence is greater than the normal beach user!

Turns out someone had called in a phosphorus bomb, it was at the back of the beach, on a ledge, about a meter up the cliff. I didn't hang around to take photos!

Went down to surf line, spent an hour and a half, found a broken spoon, couple of pieces of iron a piece of brass and some scraps of aluminium, before all beach users rounded up and sent off the beach while the EOD made safe.

Made the most of the opportunity and enjoyed a half at the pub!

They eventually detonated it at 12:30, by which time tide had covered the bits I wanted to search. I did just over an hour after.

Nothing exciting on the finds front, I'm sure there will be a load of shrapnel from the EOD next time!

All the gear and no idea.

Koala

Re: Bomb stops play!

Post by Koala »

unlucky.

Seem like the finds gods were on strike. Hopefully he will be with you next time.

Never nice breaking equipment. At least a new handle should be an easy fix

Happy hunting next time out ::g

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”