East yorkshire beaches

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
patrington1a

East yorkshire beaches

Post by patrington1a »

Best East yorkshire beach for old coins please

cottlad

Re: East yorkshire beaches

Post by cottlad »

None of them I'm afraid. They're plagued by minute fragments from firing ranges. You really need to be north of Flambo (Filey sometimes produces well after easterly) or south of th'Umber. Cleethorpes always has something to find

patrington1a

Post by patrington1a »

Thanks cottlad.....Why Cleethorpes and not Spurn......Cheers.Peter aka patrington1a

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

patrington1a wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Best East yorkshire beach for old coins please
We just go for spots that are not inundated with either mud and or modern alu nodules .. they are few and far between .. and well guarded :) :) :) maybe even nonexistent??? :( :(
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

patrington1a

Post by patrington1a »

A certain part of a beach in East Yorkshire comes to mind. Hope to see you there, Cheers. Peter

muddy mick

Post by muddy mick »

cottlad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm
None of them I'm afraid. They're plagued by minute fragments from firing ranges. You really need to be north of Flambo (Filey sometimes produces well after easterly) or south of th'Umber. Cleethorpes always has something to find
A few years ago after a storm at Filey taking the top sand off, produced loads of hammered coins

Machinist

Post by Machinist »

patrington1a wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:41 pm
Thanks cottlad.....Why Cleethorpes and not Spurn......Cheers.Peter aka patrington1a
Spurn is a National Nature Reserve owned by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust so you will not get permission to detect.

Detecting is allowed at Cleethorpes on the main beach North of the swimming pool but not South side as a nature reserve again.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

geoman

Post by geoman »

Barmston has its moments. Plenty of fishing weights, but there have been Celtic staters in the past.

Withernsea can be good if the sand is stripped to the underlying clays and then you dont need a detector. Again fishing weights, but plenty of pre-decimal coins in places.

Another beach which i will keep to myself, produced so many coins and weights that after filling my pockets i had to resort to filling a childs sandcastle bucket to carry the coins up to the car park. Busy time before the tide came in and never seen it stripped since then in the same way. And i only visited it on my way home from another beach which had been a waste of time.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”