What have you found in streams and shallow rivers?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Guppy

What have you found in streams and shallow rivers?

Post by Guppy » Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I would like to enquire if any of you have had any good finds in 'natural' shallow streams or rivers.

I'm of the understanding that the Romans liked to honour the gods by depositing gifts into water ways.

I recall many years ago one detectorist found a mangled up bronze statue of an 'unknown' God in a dried up river bed. I believe it was valued at 75k

Thanks

Dave The Slave

Re: What have you found in streams and shallow rivers?

Post by Dave The Slave » Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Never detected a river or stream, although the shallow ones look appealing.
Used to pick up clay pipe stem sections, when I was a kid wading around in the River Severn.
Found the recent series " River Hunters " very appealing.
By co incidence was walking up a dried up stream bed this afternoon looking for old bottles with my son. Did not find anything but was enjoyable.
Good Luck, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 pm
By co incidence was walking up a dried up stream bed this afternoon looking for old bottles with my son. Did not find anything but was enjoyable.

Maybe having your detector at hand would of come in handy :D

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Motorpike :)
Never detected a river but there's a place near we where the whole town use to do swimming in the river from the early 1900s to the 60s before a public pool was made , the concrete bathing sheds are still there but it is 5ft at the edges at about 20ft in the middle i bet a few nice bits of jewellery have been lost there.
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue May 28, 2019 7:28 pm

I detected a shallow stream about 5 years ago ... downstream of a storm drain... I found everything, and I mean everything!! That was a big lesson for me :( :( :( ie. wear full bio-hazard garb ...
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 am

I detected a medium sized stream a couple of times. Due to access concentrated on a very small pool below a little weir as "logic" suggested things might collect there.

Basically found it a waste of time.
BUT this was in a large part due to the amount of wire in the water that had in the past been wire netting used to support the bank meaning it was signals everywhere.
Also as it was a stoney stream bed trying to recover the items was very difficult, a good sand scope would have helped.

However despite the above I believe that in some circumstances they could be well worth detecting.

MOST IMPORTANTLY BE AWARE OF THE SAFETY ASPECTS.
A few miles further downstream the stream I mentioned above is renowned for deep pools on some of the bends and can suddenly go from the normal 18" deep to 5 or 6 foot with a vertical drop off.

Some people regretably consider streams to be suitable places to dump any thing they do not want, so be very careful of what nasty items might be in water.

There are also the "natural" dangers, the one signal I had was under a larger stone and after a bit of fiddling around I pulled out a handful of gravel and bits ... I am not sure if I was more shocked or the angry crayfish that suddenly found itself being pulled out of its home and lifted into the air!. It very rapidly got "released" ... aka dropped.

Evan

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 am

Last year, during the heatwave the historic chalk stream running through my village dried completely. I reasoned, like yourself, about the possibility of 'votive offerings', We've had proven activity here with iron age, Roman finds etc, thought I'd give it a go and detected about half a mile of it over a few days. I found a bit of modern decimal coinage but mostly drink cans and silver paper wrappers. The stuff was everywhere. Seems a river is a very popular place for people to discard all sorts of rubbish for some reason. Sadly, nothing of any interest, and the compacted bottom gravel and larger stones are very difficult to get through. Worth having a look though.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

12GoldBars

Post by 12GoldBars » Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 am

I have been detecting in streams and shallow rivers but not for long periods of time being up here in NE Scotland! Had a few half decent finds, the best being a William III Halfpenny coming out at a depth of only about 2 inches. Also, a nice shiny 1933 halfpenny (pity it wasn't a penny!) and also a model of a tin soldier. My feet were turning blue after that and haven't been in since! Good hunting

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 am

It has to be remembered that rivers.. those meandering over wide valley floors...do not stay in the same place. A flood can mean then settling into a different course once the waters have subsided. Bear in mind that before rivers were extensively managed and drainage systems employed to stop it valleys had floods every year. The small river that flows, along with many brooks and small springs that feed it, through the very wide valley near us here in France is still and always was allowed to flood. Indeed the water was encouraged to do so as it contained minerals which enriched the soil.
There is lots of evidence of different courses the river has taken.
So since the Romans, for example, it will have changed significantly and could well be, in some places, a hundred meters or more away from where it was 2000 years ago.
That said it can actually bring finds up by the fact it cuts a channel through areas that may have been occupied. I remember in Staffordshire that a hoard of Saxon coins were found when a piece of bank collapsed.
So its like everything else...it depends on the river, it depends on what the geology is and if its been radically altered either by nature or man (and since Roman times it will have been by both). The other variable is where the current is likely to deposit things. Always worth a punt. (pardon the pun) I found a nice chunky silver bracelet once...dropped no doubt by an angler. I found a very nice heraldic pendant at the site of an old ford. And someone else found several Angels in and around the same ford. (drat). Where there is trash there is often treasure.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

bob79

Post by bob79 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

newseeker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Was the Motorpike a solo unit or did it have a sidecarp :))

Bob ::g

bob79

Post by bob79 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Back in the 90's when we had a very dry summer, rivers and streams were very low, I detected a stream that was popular in the 60's with families for swimming. It has a road that runs along side it, managed to find 4 car radio's that had been dumped in the stream x;

Bob ::g

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

What's happened to the OP, Guppy/Jon ?

He doesn't exist anymore and I can't send him a PM . System not letting me.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

fishypaul

Post by fishypaul » Wed May 29, 2019 7:55 pm

What is the position regarding permissions when you detect in a river ?

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm

fishypaul wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:55 pm
What is the position regarding permissions when you detect in a river ?
Exactly the same as when detecting on land, you need permision form the "land" owner.

The riparian owners of the adjacent river bank own to the centre of the river.

If its a river with fishing, especially if trout or salmon, then the chances of getting permission are further reduced.

What has not been mentioned on this thread is that when detecting streams / rivers you need to be aware of not disturturbing the fish spawning areas.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed May 29, 2019 8:19 pm

stargazer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

He sent me a message yesterday evening, about a future rally, and seemed fine so no idea what has happened as like stargazer I can not see him on here now.

Evan

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:19 pm
stargazer wrote:

He sent me a message yesterday evening, about a future rally, and seemed fine so no idea what has happened as like stargazer I can not see him on here now.

Evan
Yeh, I'm supposed to be digging with him on Sunday. All was well yesterday too.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu May 30, 2019 1:48 am

littleboot wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 am
It has to be remembered that rivers.. those meandering over wide valley floors...do not stay in the same place. A flood can mean then settling into a different course once the waters have subsided. Bear in mind that before rivers were extensively managed and drainage systems employed to stop it valleys had floods every year. The small river that flows, along with many brooks and small springs that feed it, through the very wide valley near us here in France is still and always was allowed to flood. Indeed the water was encouraged to do so as it contained minerals which enriched the soil.
There is lots of evidence of different courses the river has taken.
So since the Romans, for example, it will have changed significantly and could well be, in some places, a hundred meters or more away from where it was 2000 years ago.
Indeed I have such a permission, the floodplain and channels are virtually undetectable due to all the captured foil. But strangely very close to the riverbank it seems completely clear of trash with the targets there all being good so far, like coins etc. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu May 30, 2019 1:54 am

bob79 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
newseeker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm
Was the Motorpike a solo unit or did it have a sidecarp :))
Maybe it was a classic Sunbream? :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 am

stargazer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm
Saffron wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:19 pm
stargazer wrote:

Evan
Yeh, I'm supposed to be digging with him on Sunday. All was well yesterday too.
Replied back to me on Tuesday and also PM`d me Monday after sending him details about paying for the Anton, even suggested contacting him nearer the time to meet up there if I wanted.
Username is showing as, 'The requested user does not exist. "
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

targets

Post by targets » Thu May 30, 2019 5:15 pm

tecting in rivers is normally hard due to all the rubbish metals in them so i prefer to dig holes and sieve it .otherwise it will be like a machine going off with all the junk
then theres all the build up going on year after year a river bed can rise by 12inches in a year due to silt building up making it impossible for a machine .its always changing every year in most cases
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu May 30, 2019 9:43 pm

On sharp bends in rivers and streams the current is much faster on the outside of the bend.
This results in the riverbed, and adjoining bank, being cut away so this is the deepest part.
While the flow on the inside of the bend is much slower, or often even an eddy, resultingin silt being deposited and it being much shallower.

Therefore from the detectorists view point the heavy items, like coins, are normally in the deeper water. While light items like foil end up in the silt on the inside of the bend. Therefore detecting the deep water on bends is likely to be more productive.

However, on larger rivers where sand / gravel is revealed on the inside of bends when summer river levels are low people will often sit / walk on these areas on sunny days so there can be casual coin drops.

A down side of rivers where there is coarse fishing are the masses of small split shot fishing weights B| B| B|

Evan

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:30 pm

What about detecting under ancient bridges over shallow streams? I have always been tempted to, as I reckon people will have enjoyed throwing their coins into the water.
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

targets

Post by targets » Fri May 31, 2019 11:29 am

depends on the flow rates esp in winter when it rains a lot so stuff gets scattered way from the bridge and can be 100 feet away.in floods it gets swept away.
all rivers are different depending on silt mud and flow rates .are there big rocks to stop the flow?etc

targets

Post by targets » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm

i find rivers have lots of small iron particles like a airgun pellet or nails so its gives too many signals ,the thames is a good example of metal pollution of every kind..so it can test your patience but give it a go and see how you get on..the best way is to dig a channel and detect it to see whats there or use a sieve

MPower

Post by MPower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Look for the shallowist parts of the river, stream, especially in the dry season, as they'd be a possibility of an ancient "Ford" crossings.

Watched it on TV a while ago. Just a though.
𝖕𝖊𝖗 𝖈𝖗𝖚𝖈𝖊𝖒 𝖆𝖉 𝖈𝖔𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖒

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Dry River beds can throw up some unusual unexpected finds and the River Ver in Hertfordshire would run dry on a regular basis . One of my customers was out walking his dog and would often walk the dry bed and on one particular occasion he quite by accident stubbed his toe on an object half protruding out of the gravel . It turned out to be an old bell which had quite some historical significance . The actual details of the find are a little sketchy but from memory it was a bell used by a local priest which would hang from a pole similar to a shepherd crook . While walking villagers to and from their local church , the bell was to ward off any evil spirits while they journeyed to prayer .I am not exactly sure of the period but I think it would have been from early medieval . It was supposed to be quite a rare find and is now in St Albans Museum .
As a kid I can recall someone local found a sword in a brook , once again I cannot recall what time period the sword was from but I do remember it being quite a significant find .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”