Looking for a Detector for the beach?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
yammy

Looking for a Detector for the beach?

Post by yammy » Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 pm

New to the forum but not new to metal detecting, although it has been around 25 years since I last set out on a search. Back then I had a number of machines, the last of which was the Tesoro Silver Sabre and Gold Sabre.

So, I can pretty much remember all the basics but, things have moved on somewhat. There were quite a few choices about 25 years ago but nothing like there is today.

I know a pulse induction machine is ideal for wet sand, which is what I will be mostly searching for now but of course there is no discrimination so I would be digging a lot of junk. Given how much trash there is on beaches these days I don't really want to be spending all my time just clearing litter.

I also don't want to spend too much money...not right now although I may go for something higher up the price range later on.

There is also my wife to consider as she will be detecting with me. She's one smart cookie and a complex machine would not be too much of a learning curve for her but I want to keep it fun and simple to begin with.

Anyway that is why I am now looking at detectors such as the Minelab Go Find.

I have heard conflicting reports on how well these detectors work on the beach and more importantly, wet sand. I put this down to all beaches not being equal and the differing conditions on each will affect how well the detector is able to perform?

I'm rambling now so really all I need to know is how good these detectors are compared with others in the sub £300 price bracket?

Is there much of a difference between the 44 and 66?

What are the alternatives? I don't mind buying used either but I need to know any detector I do buy will not be totally useless on the beach.

Thanks in advance.

Saul

Easylife

Re: Looking for a Detector for the beach?

Post by Easylife » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 pm

The Go-find's operate at a single 7.7khz. A simultaneous multi-frequency detector such as the Equinox would perform far better on the wet sand, though not in your current budget. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Fri May 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Personally I'd be looking at a second hand minelab safari , excellent on the beach including wet sand, no experience of the go find series but I doubt they would be anywhere near the all round performance of a Safari
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

yammy

Re: Go find 44 or 66 for the beach?

Post by yammy » Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks for the suggestions ::g

The Safari is still too much money at the moment. Keep in mind I need to buy two detectors.

I don't really want to spend too much on a detector at this stage. I have been trawling the forums and youtube channels and I see people...experienced detectorists with flagship detectors not turning up anything better than people using much cheaper detectors.

I may as well dig junk with a cheaper machine as dig the same junk with an expensive one...if you see what I mean?

Of course it is partly down to the user and how experienced they are with the machine but...I see an awful lot of junk being dug with £1000 plus machines!

Problem for me is detecting is a lot more popular now than it was 25 years ago and so used prices tend to be near the higher end and bargains are few and far between. Hence why I started looking at whats new and not too expensive. Will keep looking.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat May 18, 2019 3:23 am

yammy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 am
I have been trawling the forums and youtube channels and I see people...experienced detectorists with flagship detectors not turning up anything better than people using much cheaper detectors.

I may as well dig junk with a cheaper machine as dig the same junk with an expensive one...if you see what I mean?

Of course it is partly down to the user and how experienced they are with the machine but...I see an awful lot of junk being dug with £1000 plus machines!

Problem for me is detecting is a lot more popular now than it was 25 years ago and so used prices tend to be near the higher end and bargains are few and far between. Hence why I started looking at whats new and not too expensive. Will keep looking.
Well you seem to have quite a negative attitude and appear to be ill informed Yammy, that is just not the reality of it. Higher end detectors will simply just find more of what you ideally seek but will still find the unavoidable junk also, I don't understand your negative focus of digging junk alone rather than buying a detector with better performance to focus on making more and better finds.
Though you give the overall impression that you may likely just buy whatever is the cheapest, that is your own choice, but bear in mind that you only get what you pay for so expect results accordingly.
I don't get your argument over used prices at all, there are now some very capable used detectors at bargain prices, I think your barrier is comparing used prices from 25 years ago. A decent detector may have been about £150 then, but certain technology has greatly improved now, and allowing for inflation, £500 will buy you an extremely capable used detector these days.
With you primarily wanting a very capable detector for the beach, and your apparant thriftyness why not just buy a single used Equinox 600 and see how you both go with it. I say this as I know that you will very soon want another one. But will be interested to follow whichever route you choose. :D ::g
White's TDI SL

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am

All detectors will find junk. And of course an expensive detector is no guarantee that you will find wonderful things. No machine can find stuff that isn't there and all of them will be fooled by junk from time to time...experienced detectorists know that if they don't dig enough iffy signals, and embrace the possibility of digging up some junk, they will miss good targets.

Having said that...lower end machines are going to result in more junk and less good stuff because they simply cannot get down deep enough for the good stuff or more likely the signal they give after a couple of inches is unreliable and tells you its junk when it isn't. We have all heard tales of people wafting a low budget detector and finding treasure....but its the exception that proves the rule.

I quite understand tight budget requirements and obviously you need two. So my advice is to get secondhand machines that are more capable. A lot of new machines, notably the previously mentioned Nox, have come onto the market and that has the knock-on effect of people selling on their previous machine in order to 'trade-up' (or simply have a change. So some good bargains out there. I would suggest you look for a Makro Racer. The original Red one will obviously be cheaper second hand than the newer Racer II. Both will do the job.
People on here find some extraordinary things....and I haven't seen one using a Go-Find. The beach is a challenging environment for detecting and will quickly get frustrating if you are using something naff.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat May 18, 2019 9:48 am

all beaches are different

thats why you get different feedback. Not to mention the skill of the operator to set the machine correctly. As is people's expectations

about the only cheap single VLF machine thats okay on most beaches is the Racer

even second hand most MineLab multi frequency machines will be out of budget as everyone is looking for them. However they aren't the only multi frequency machine, whites DFX and Fisher CX
for example will have less competition and be cheaper on an auction site.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am

By the way....perhaps its just me....but the idea that we are just another place you are 'trawling' isn't particularly appealing. Perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase.

Anyway, I recently purchased a secondhand Nox 600 for 500 quid. Just as Easylife mentioned above. A hell of a lot of detector for the money. My husband, who detects less frequently, also wants a machine that he can use on the beach as well as inland so I bought a second-hand Racer 2, hardly used and with the 'pro' kit of additional coil etc included, for less than £350 on the buy and sell bit of this forum. An older Racer, without the extras, should be doable for around 250 or less. They do come up for sale so be patient and wait until one lands in your net. ;)
It would be far better to get one decent machine at first and share it, rather than two naff ones.

I used a lot of Tesoros back in the day.....and I even had one up until 5 years ago. Still very capable on the dry sand and very cheap to buy. It could be a solution to get a Tesoro for the dry and something else that can cope with the wet and swap about between yourselves.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat May 18, 2019 10:33 am

just seen your second comment.

Most people whether inland or beach detecting have to dig lots and lots of junk.

I remember last year digging over 200 pieces of lead in one day for 1 Soldino and 2 spindle wholes

yammy

Post by yammy » Sat May 18, 2019 10:55 am

Yeah don't take my apparent negativity too seriously. I have also been running a large forum for the past 18 years...not detecting related...and in my niche industry there is a lot of what you can call "smoke and mirrors". A lot of expensive gear that is really just good packaging and marketing and you can often get just as good if not better results with cheaper gear.

I also work behind the scenes with some of the brand leaders and I know what good marketing can do to make something appear more exciting and useful than it actually is.

But, that's comparing apples with oranges and I can't let that experience drag over into this one so believe me I AM listening ;)

My point about cheaper detectors finding the same as more expensive ones was to hear your opinions. Why is an expensive detector worth the money? I think littleboot answered that one perfectly:
lower end machines are going to result in more junk and less good stuff because they simply cannot get down deep enough for the good stuff or more likely the signal they give after a couple of inches is unreliable and tells you its junk when it isn't
In particular this nails it for me:
more likely the signal they give after a couple of inches is unreliable and tells you its junk when it isn't
Excellent reason for spending more money :)

By the way "trawling the web" for info is something most of us do. Then you find the right place, with a lot of active members and a wealth of unbiased experience and settle there...hence why I registered here rather than anywhere else :)

So the consensus appears to be that the Minelab Go Find is probably not going to be a good buy, or at least not for what I need.

I will turn my attention to some of the others mentioned. The Whites DFX, Racer etc. I have also been looking at the Cscope 4Pi...yeah will definitely be digging a LOT of junk with that one :D

Thanks again for all your input. It is very much appreciated.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 am

The White's DFX is dual frequency so ok for the beach but one hell of a learning curve to get the best out of it. A decent detector but others are probably a better overall option.
White's TDI SL

yammy

Post by yammy » Sat May 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 am
The White's DFX is dual frequency so ok for the beach but one hell of a learning curve to get the best out of it. A decent detector but others are probably a better overall option.
That's the thing. I am trying to decide if I want something that is more "switch on and go" or will I be happy learning and tweaking?

I do have plenty of time to go detecting so I look at it as more a marathon than a sprint and so perhaps investing some time on a more complex machine might pay off in the long run. If nothing else it would hone my rather rusty detecting skills just a bit ;)

hammy20

Post by hammy20 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:52 pm

My CSCOPE CS4pi is and ideal relatively cheap beach detector,you will dig a load of junk trust me,but if it's there to be found,wet or dry you'll be hard found to beat it? It's plug and play as well,two dials and that's it. Paid £260 new,can probably get for under that now,less second hand. I've lost over two stone using it LOL! No good in soil tho,never tried it mind you?

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm

If the Safari is to much ( should be able to find one around the £350 mark) it might be worth looking at the previous model the Quattro which you should be able to find for quite a bit less
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:26 am

Hi yammy. Nearly all wet sand/ beach machines are out of your price range if new or near new. A good beach / land machine is the Fisher cz range twin Feq. you just have to find one expect to pay around the £200 ish mark, a very good wet sand machine . good luck. beachboy70 ::g

GezFisher22

Post by GezFisher22 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am

Hi,
I bought a Cscope CS4PI on eBay for £150. It is, or was like new and although it finds everything it is a good wet sand machine. I have tried it on pasture and it is the same but I dig everything anyway. Some items have been too deep to dig on a low tide mark and I use a trenching spade! Make sure it is a returnable item before you buy on eBay, a good seller will always give you return option. Good luck!

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Yammy.
Whites TDi SL . Not cheap, but Superb Beach detector, and well worth getting. You could consider a second hand one of course. Not many buy these and part with them soon after. But you have to be prepared for the learning curve on how to use it .

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”