Magnets worth a try ?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Ryanlewis55

Magnets worth a try ?

Post by Ryanlewis55 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:30 am

Hello on my permission theres an old monks carp lake I was wondering is it worth throwing a magnet in or am I just wasting my time and there's also a well near an old stone building is it worth throwing a magnet down it ? Or shall I just keep my money and keep detecting ? Cheers

brianc

Re: Magnets worth a try ?

Post by brianc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

I think the possibility of finding something with a magnet is definitely feasible so I would go for it.

Nothing ventured as they say and I believe you can get kitted out for £20-£30.

There are a number of videos on YouTube that explain the kit you need and how to secure it to the rope properly so that you reduce the risk of losing your magnet if you snag it or get connected to a Tesco trolley!

Chalkhills

Post by Chalkhills » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Ryan,
I'm doing a spot of magnet fishing every now and then and it's great fun. I go to a local lake and find loads of fishing gear. If my finds are re-useable (rod rests, poles, tools like disgorges etc) I leave them on the jetties for anglers to throw in their kits. Other things (hooks, lures, knives) I'll take home as I don't really want to leave "sharps" lying around.

If your lake is old it would definitely be worth a go. Remember, a lot of stuff that people didn't want found used to get thrown in water, so who knows what you might pull out!

Just have a go and enjoy yourself.

Chalk.

Ryanlewis55

Post by Ryanlewis55 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the help going to buy one ! On one of my permissions they've filled in a well and 2 fields away they found a gold hoard there, this well is well tooked in the woods under brambles would if I its worth digging to the bottom ? Also 10 years ago I concreted over the well in our field so any animals couldn't fall in. The field has an ancient monument act on it, wonder if I can throw a magnet down it ?!

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”