pi machines

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
sparrowlegs

pi machines

Post by sparrowlegs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

thinking to get a pi machine which machines would you recommend and why thanks geoff

Spooky

Re: pi machines

Post by Spooky » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm

PI-based detectors are not very good at discrimination because the reflected pulse length of various metals are not easily separated. However, they are useful in many situations in which VLF-based metal detectors would have difficulty, such as in areas that have highly conductive material in the soil or general environment.
A good example of such a situation is salt-water exploration. Also, PI-based systems can often detect metal much deeper in the ground than other systems.
Just an interesting online statement that i read a while back on a 'how it works' site. But you probably already knew that but im gonna post anyway. :D ={~#
Quid adfers? LXXXIII viverra anulum tizer !

Nox 800
15" coil
CMD Carbon Fibre stem

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello sparrowlegs, I think two of the important factors affecting, are how serious you are about going down the PI route versus your budget. There are some details concerning the pro's and cons of using a PI machine in this link. Good Luck with your decision making. ::g

FAQ's
A disservice is no service at all.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 pm

A decent first PI detector is the CS4PI for not too much money whether new or used. What's your budget?
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 am

thanks for replies i use a t2 inland and is a no nonsense bit of kit that performs I'm looking for a pi detector in a similar fashion to t2 I'm very confident with t2 and it performs i have looked at the c scope4 pi and impressed but being fair don't know how other pi machines perform as regards budget if it performs i will pay for the right machine thanks geoff

12GoldBars

Post by 12GoldBars » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am

Hi Sparrowlegs
I had a Whites Dual Field Surf PI machine and it was the absolute bees-knees. Paid about £650 brand new for it and ended up PX it for a Safari with cash deal. You may pick up one of these second hand nowadays for about £400 maybe even cheaper.

I had great fun with as it punched very deep but be prepared to dig everything, and I mean everything. Hope you find what you are looking for.

gravelmonkey

Post by gravelmonkey » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 am

Vallon Vmh3cs off eBay.

Spend the rest of what you can afford on a sand scoop.

In addition, I like the plastic soil trowels from B&Q for about £2.50 for digging in sand, you can wave the scoop over the coil to see if you've dug the signal.
Minelab X-Terra 705
Vallon VMH3CS
GP-Pointer S
Stainless steel spade
B&Q plastic hand scoop

Pav

Post by Pav » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 am

Cs4pi no nonsense machine.
Warranty I think stays with machine.
Cscope customer care is really good.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Cs4pi also, unless you need submersible or a powerful ground balance for certain types of mineralised soil. It is very straightforward setting up, gives a good idea of how pi machines are like to detect with, and performs well. If you think already you are going to stick with pi and want to start with a higher level machine then no reason why not to buy one, except price, but the cs4pi is good. For the higher end machines they all have different pros and cons, depending on what kind of detecting you will do.

::g

sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm

cheers incognito for reply ive just got a tdi sl second hand like new a bargain and it looks a half descent machine will be out with it soon cheers geoff

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

sparrowlegs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm
cheers incognito for reply ive just got a tdi sl second hand like new a bargain and it looks a half descent machine will be out with it soon cheers geoff
If I was going for a mid range pi that would be my choice, have not tried one but supposed to be very capable ::g

Junior

Post by Junior » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Had a c cscope 4pi then a Garrett sea hunter find rate not really increased like I hoped...just my luck and rubbish beach Mrs swims on probulary...tryed the cuts / when it had been stripped to no avail... my 3 gold rings in 10 yrs have all been found in the soft dry sand.... all u get out our way is what ever inch s of sand then a very fine shingle which not a lot manages to impregnate to any depth...mundesley hasn't got any lovely deep just sand if u know what I mean ....and the dreaded molten ali ....

Pav

Post by Pav » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am

I love the no nonsense signal the sea hunter 2 gives you. My best finds are with the sea hunter.
Don’t bother with the disc. Wet sand only on the biggest tides and get wet 😉

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”