Magnet Fishing

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
jcmaloney

Re: Magnet Fishing

Post by jcmaloney » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Think its the third weekend on the spin...................
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... er-3199417

Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am

I wouldn't be to surprised they ban it....seems the negative clouds are gathering in the media.i was considering taking the hobby up.so was looking up law ect and came across that the CANEL AND RIVER TRUST don't permit magnet fishing according to their website

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... et-fishing

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:12 am

its already banned on the folkstone and hythe canel https://www.folkestone-hythe.gov.uk/new ... ng-offence

what this chap has written is worth reading
Last edited by watermouse on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 am

watermouse wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am
I wouldn't be to surprised they ban it....seems the negative clouds are gathering in the media.i was considering taking the hobby up.so was looking up law ect and came across that the CANEL AND RIVER TRUST don't permit magnet fishing according to their website

Not tried or interested in magnet fishing but that link made me smile part of which reads " We’ve even had reports of people fishing out old war bombs and dumped weapons." so it seems from the picture it is safer to use a big grab to get them out x;

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am

I went off the idea magnet fishing I fancy getting one of them underwater drones instead

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Talking about the ownership of the water, i worked in the water industry years ago before the Environment Agency was set up they controlled all flowing water then it was the NRA , they had total control of the water from fish to extraction licences so i am sure that the water belongs to the crown, its the river beds and banks that cause most disputes. Just my bit of input. beachboy70. I did think about having a try at magnet fishing but as said its not that easy to do it legally.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm

watermouse wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am

I took the opportunity to visit that website, I also contacted them to give my views. This is what I said to them. Maybe those who enjoy magnet fishing so also express their views, politely of course lol.

You say you don't allow magnet fishing because of the dangers of pulling out wartime bombs and dumped weapons yet you show a large boat mounted crane which would exert far more force on a wartime bomb and be more likely to explode it. You call for volunteers to help clean up the canals yet ban magnet fishers from cleaning up the canals because you say it's dangerous. Dangerous to magnet fishers but not to volunteers?????? You also say "When people leave piles of metal on the towpath it can cause problems for other visitors" but many magnet fishers completely remove all finds, Flytippers leave far more rubbish and who throws the rubbish in the canal in the first place? You say "For those keen on fishing, there’s lots of ways to do this as an alternative to magnet fishing." magnet fishers would rather magnet fish hence why they don't fish and as a fisherman I would be in just as much danger of falling in as I would if I magnet fished or did any of the other canal based activities. You then go on to ask for help, both financial or physical, after turning down (well banning) help from magnet fishers. Your website is just inundated in double standards, you can do it but others can't! You will certainly not get a penny off me with your totally ridiculous policy and before you say it I AM NOT A MAGNET FISHER, just someone who is against your draconian policy.

amphora

Post by amphora » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

However any textual misunderstandings...
I may not come from the UK, but ownership is a worldwide rule and in general the same everywere.
Heritage protection a european subject (Valetta treaty).

Eventually it looks clear that waters have owners. From which you need permission.
If it is the same owner as the land next to it, nice, then it is easy.
If it is not, ... it can become a London Mudlarkers situation.
If no permission, it is a 100% no go.

As i said, which was right, you need permission by the water owner.
If that would not be clear it would almost be the same as a bad advice to hunt in local sandboxes. We do not want some to pick this up wrongly. We would not give new magnet fisherman the wrong impression, would we?

And got some partly answers on my question within the reactions. Thanks for that.
amphora wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:29 pm
I always wonder how magnet fisherman get permission by the owner? Like for instance to magnet-fish in the brook in this topic?
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”