speak to your land owner.

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
kenleyboy

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
It is now 15 months and I still haven't managed to secure any permissions so I rely on club digs , if it was not for these I would have knocked it on the head ages ago . The digs are well organised , you pay your fee and keep the finds unless of course you get super lucky and chance upon a hoard or if you ever manage to find an item of historical significance . If so it is requested you hand it in to the organisers and it then goes through the usual channels etc .
My almost permission granted was a yes if I was willing to pay for the day and hand everything to the landowner , so I walked away from that one .I am more than happy to show all the finds , if the landowner wishes to keep them I feel that is their right as much as it may be painful giving all the finds over but not willing to pay for the privilege !
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot .
So for now its club digs for me and I am happy about that for now until my luck changes .
Good luck at finding a permission and thank-you for your thought provoking comments ... by club ... do you include commercial set-ups as well? I do both btw.
I just dig as a club member and manage to attend these on a fairly regular basis which helps keep the interest up and further feeds the determination to eventually succeed in gaining a permission .
Not attended any commercial set ups . The only rally I have been on was the forum three day event up here in sunny Norfolk organised by Liam . Enjoyed that .

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

The key to solving many issues is to have finder /landowner agreement so there is no problems with sorting out what to do with the finds even if you are paying for access. On club digs and events that is usually sorted out by the club though it cannot be taken for granted that finds can be retained. I attended one a few year back when the landowner wanted all finds saved for him and he took the lot whilst on another the landowner had agreed that most finds could be kept. He changed his mind when he saw what was in the finds display case and took a number of items so there were some unhappy finders at the end of the day.You cant argue as it his property and if you want to go back on the land you have to play ball with them.
Some landowners want paying each time you visit and those that have done this for some time have been know to ask " how much will you pay" so at that point i walk away. To them it is just money thought they dont realise that with the law of diminishing returns after a few years unless it is a very productive site, no one will bother again. I have seen that a few times and one or two farmers have been known to seed the land with finds bought elsewhere to attract searchers.

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 pm

geoman wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm
I have seen that a few times and one or two farmers have been known to seed the land with finds bought elsewhere to attract searchers.
Lost for words...although it explains why some people find so many cool buttons. Ey, Lowland? B-) ;)
Euro Detector
XP Deus 3.2 with control unit, 11" coil, WS4 + XP MI-6 pinpointer
Metal detecting is like time travelling.

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

I was merrily wandering over a field on Sunday when I looked round to see someone walking over. I went to meet then to realise it was the landowner. We stopped and had a great chat about the current field and how the crop was patchy and the fact that I was still finding shooting seeds that had not yet broken through so they would probably recover. How the different soils work differently and how the weather effected this years land. About the failed rape crop and how that will now be spring barley, extending my detecting season considerably. About the 6 deer seen in a neighbours field, of which he has seen 7, and how he is glad they are not being poached. And he said had I tried the little enclosed paddock next to where I have found hammered in the past.

He did then ask if I didn't mind that one of his friends wanted to take up detecting and would I mind helping him out and showing the ropes. I do know him a little and as it is a 350 acre permission there is space for us both and he said he may not stick with it. I am a little tempted to point him to the non-productive fields first so he can cut his teeth =)). He is a nice bloke so I won't do that.

It is good to have good relations as you learn much more about the land. They are pretty laid back with my finds telling me I have a nice collection even when I offer them to them.

Coincidently, when I went around the corner to the next field, there were 7 deer on the edge of the field which ran off.
Dave

Deus

Roger Williams

Post by Roger Williams » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello all, I was detecting recently on a field which belongs to my sons in-laws, when a chap wandered over who had grown up with the owners and owned the farm opposite. " You can have a go on my farm if you want too ". He also turned out to be a good friend of my son in laws !. Small world isnt it .
Anyway, I had a go sometime later on his patch, but apart from a tow hitch off a tractor, I didnt find much. I took it to him today just because we were driving past and he said, " did you manage to find the tractor as well ? ". Bearing in mind I hardly know him, he mentioned he had something for me, 2 bloody great swedes !!!. He then proceeded to point out another field I could try out too.
Its just your luck isnt it.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Roger Williams wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pm
Hello all, I was detecting recently on a field which belongs to my sons in-laws, when a chap wandered over who had grown up with the owners and owned the farm opposite. " You can have a go on my farm if you want too ". He also turned out to be a good friend of my son in laws !. Small world isnt it .
Anyway, I had a go sometime later on his patch, but apart from a tow hitch off a tractor, I didnt find much. I took it to him today just because we were driving past and he said, " did you manage to find the tractor as well ? ". Bearing in mind I hardly know him, he mentioned he had something for me, 2 bloody great swedes !!!. He then proceeded to point out another field I could try out too.
Its just your luck isnt it.
Its all about relationships, and you are obviously reaping the harvest of countless prior interactions with your family folk.

Return to “Permissions”