Councils, we pay for them but:

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
slipper

Councils, we pay for them but:

Post by slipper » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm

I approached my local council for permission on 4 sites some 2 months ago. No reply despite a reminder.
i approached a second council via a councillor, who replied within 2 days and progressed my request to the right person, so await that one.

Found some good sites of interest owned by the county, they have a permit system which I have completed and have a bit of a chance on one site (had Roman finds in the past) so wait on that one.

You need some persistence in this hobby don't you LOL.
Red Racer

coal digger

Re: Councils, we pay for them but:

Post by coal digger » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 pm

slipper wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm
I approached my local council for permission on 4 sites some 2 months ago. No reply despite a reminder.
i approached a second council via a councillor, who replied within 2 days and progressed my request to the right person, so await that one.

Found some good sites of interest owned by the county, they have a permit system which I have completed and have a bit of a chance on one site (had Roman finds in the past) so wait on that one.

You need some persistence in this hobby don't you LOL.
I'm still waiting for a reply from my local council for various sites,but can only assume the carrier pigeon died as that was 2011, good luck,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Approached Guildford Council - not that they have much.

"You can't do that as it's a SSSI for plants."

What about the farm?

"The farmer we've rented it to doesn't allow it as it gets in the way!" - oh really.

Well what about your other land?

"We need to make a decision on who makes a decision about detecting on Council land"

Give me strength X(

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Councils tend to dodge the subject or they simply don't reply. It's disgraceful behaviour. In America you can detect state land because you pay the taxes that support it and it should be the same here.

I do believe that this is one fight where the NCMD should stand up for the hobby and does not do enough. We have an organised body to speak on behalf of law abiding detectorists to gain a fair playing field with other leisure activities which councils proudly boast that they support.

Then again you could ague that if people abused the freedom to detect that NCMD had gained it would discredit them, so they could see it as a poison chalice.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Quest Q40 combo pack
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:09 pm
Councils tend to dodge the subject or they simply don't reply. It's disgraceful behaviour. In America you can detect state land because you pay the taxes that support it and it should be the same here.

I do believe that this is one fight where the NCMD should stand up for the hobby and does not do enough. We have an organised body to speak on behalf of law abiding detectorists to gain a fair playing field with other leisure activities which councils proudly boast that they support.

Then again you could ague that if people abused the freedom to detect that NCMD had gained it would discredit them, so they could see it as a poison chalice.
You have answered your own question. The problem from a national perspective is that every County & City council have differing rules & systems.
Putting it in perspective most counties can`t sort out the basics such as recycling so the chances of a minority hobby gaining any form of leverage are minimal if not non-existent.**

** Just my thoughts & not the official view of the NCMD. :-* :D

brianc

Post by brianc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 pm

If there is a permit system in place and you have applied then that that sounds like a move forward.

I suppose it depends on what the specifics are on what you require to use the land for. Is there a tick box for metal detecting or is it more general for using the land for a country fair for example?

With regard to very local land in your neighbourhood, you are normally welcome to join the next open Parish Council meeting and raise the request in person.

Which is perhaps why the contact with your councillor got some attention as I assume he submitted your enquiry with reasonable diligence.

Your comments will be put into the minutes, so you then have documentation available and also things in minute notes normally get a degree of attention.

If you do this, you are perfectly entitled to follow up at the next meeting to see what progress has been made. Many Parish Council minutes are published on their webpage, so once you have done the face to face, you can correspond as you prefer (email, phone or another visit to the PC meeting), using the minutes as a reference for all involved.

I believe that there is an understanding that local Parish Councils should seriously consider land use for recreational purposes if it does not cause bother to other people or damage the environment, although I do not know the legal specifics.

Let us know how you get on.
Enjoying the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

slipper

Post by slipper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for comments guys, I will wait to hear if I get a permit from the County,and if so will then write to a Councillor, as I will have conformation of two public bodies re other permissions. ( County and Natural England).

It seems if you want to be "Friends of (any local land) " councils welcome that with open arms, probably supply all the litter picking gear too. These groups do a good job, but I wonder if at the expense of other minority users, as the first thing they do is try and get it designated as a nature reserve.

Or am I getting grumpy in my old age? :D
Red Racer

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 pm

I have seen where you can detect but all finds must be given to the local museum. Good if you want to learn your machine but if you are doing it for a personal collection or personal gain then it is not favourable. The main question is who do the finds belong to? The council or the tax payers?

I have seen people digging our local park without permission, leaving open holes and not giving a toss, getting aggressive if challanged. Especially on the rugby and football pitches. It was brought up on the towns facebook page and the attitude is they pay their council tax why shouldn't they and people of been doing it for years so who are they hurting? Same with the common which is an SSSI which I tried to report nighthawkers on only to be fobbed off by the police who said they might have been looking for their keys! In the dark?!?

I have seen other councils who do use a permit system to good effect. They are all different and it is easier to say no based on H&S or admin than yes.
Dave

Deus

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:37 am

The number one priority for any Council is to avoid any responsibility . They are in the profession of avoiding any work at all. They are not 'can do' organisations.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 am

Reply I received from Council regarding a specific farm field the Council own that is due to be built on included, " I regret to inform you that, for a variety of reasons, we seek to discourage the use of metal detectors on Council-owned land".
Another request for a different Farm owned by the Council in a remoter location had the usual reply. Clicking on the details of the email header, someone in the Council forgot to delete this, "Generally, we have said no as it could end up with someone seeing a person detecting then thinking it’s a free for all. Please could you reply to the MOP."
Will keep trying them if I see anywhere local. MOP=Member of Public, perhaps if I had used MoP ( MP ) after my name. ;)
Dave. ::g
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

slipper

Post by slipper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am

Like MOP, ::g Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation I think. If councils had a policy, e.g. a permit, and lets face it there are enough council officials about to enforce the permit, then it may be that there wouldn't be the bad guys in any number.

The permit I have applied for has a list of rules as long as your arm, including keeping a log with coordinates of all finds, but the site is patrolled by a ranger, so the system will work else your not allowed back.
Red Racer

slipper

Post by slipper » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Still not heard from council, so have asked a councillor for help now. I shall politely keep on :)

Still awaiting the permit from County, hope thats not going the same way as local council.
Red Racer

Return to “Permissions”