An alternative way to gain permissions

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
tcawood

An alternative way to gain permissions

Post by tcawood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Posted the below as a response elsewhere but thought it'd be worth a post of its own... so here's a slightly edited version.

I started detecting in June and had the same issue as many, how to get a permission.

I'm a city boy, know no farmers, don't have any real local ones or any outdoor pursuits that brought me into contact with any. So the advice about getting to know local farmers or the idea of walking up a country lane to some random farm and hoping to catch them in, in a good mood and amenable to my request seemed a long shot to say the least.

So I didn't do any of that... and now I have three permissions with approx 400 acres to go at.

Here's what I did, which is pretty simple to do and can be done from home...

Find all the local farms that are within the distance you are willing to travel to who have some form of internet presence, there's surprisingly few BUT the following would be a good start on Google.
- Farm shops
- Fisheries
- Caravan/Camp sites
- Petting zoos

The common denominator is that they all have side businesses that mean they interact with consumers and therefore have websites and email addresses.

Then construct a good email, explain your interest, mention NCMD membership and the like... and if you do something extra like blog about your finds, write for the local paper etc then mention that too*.

Press send, repeat the process for the next farm, and keep a log of who you send it to.

I sent 60 or so emails, got something like 20 responses, mostly 'we don't do that', 'we're tennants' or 'we've already got someone who does that'... but three said yes, and as luck would have it they're all different kinds of land.

You can also expand the principle to other landowners, e.g. golf clubs, manor houses/stately homes, and hotels with grounds (for weddings and such).

The effort is relatively minimal, all done from home and it worked for me... so could for you.

Good luck!

*I write screenplays and mentioned this in some of my emails, both my second and third permissions commented on that.
Rutus Alter71
Chinese Pinpointer
YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAgpy ... OC5T1QRZCg

ivortripod

Re: An alternative way to gain permissions

Post by ivortripod » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 am

Idea Sounds reasonable and I am wondering what area of the country you are in and how things are now going with it ,
Cheers :-SS

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm in West Yorkshire, near Wakefield and it's going well,,, was on the larger of the three permissions this morning and will be concentrating on that for next few weeks as it's arable farm so have a window before they replant. Then my plan is to rotate visits between the three.
Rutus Alter71
Chinese Pinpointer

ivortripod

Post by ivortripod » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Many thanks and good luck ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 pm

nice post and sound tips ..
if you ever want ideas for screen plays or are stuck on ideas for the progression of a story line ... give me a shout!!!

bruno22rf

Post by bruno22rf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

Quite a few Towns/Villages have a Summer Show/Fete or similar and such events are often held on the same site for many years. I find that if you suggest detecting over the area after the event and donating all modern coins to the Charity of the Landowners choice then you may well find success.

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 am

Nice idea Bruno, Like it!
Rutus Alter71
Chinese Pinpointer

Return to “Permissions”