Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
drzac2003

Re: Council Permission

Post by drzac2003 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 pm

As a newbie to this hobby, I wondered if someone could clarify for me....

Living in Southampton, would I need to contact Southampton City Council for permission or would I go to Hampshire County Council or both? And assuming I decided to detect in Winchester, would I need to ask their permission as well? Or would Hampshire cover all councils in the county?
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Size 10 wellies

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 am

Depends who owns the land....if its the County/City thats all you need. Council permission is NOT a carte blanche to go anywhere they own. ::g

Monkeyman101

Post by Monkeyman101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

hairyharry wrote:Beau, could you pm me the website you found this on, also what type of draught you sent to the council, as i am trying to free up some abandoned farmland near me that is owned by the council but is without a tenant and has been for some years now.

HH
Hi Beau,
I wonder if you would forward me a template letter that i could send to my council. I have tried many times, not even receiving a response. I wonder if my wording is not quite as successful as yours is.
Thanks
Monkeyman101
XP DEUS v4 with 11 inch coil

PaulWGC

Post by PaulWGC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:29 pm

I have asked my local council it has been passed on to the permit department, don't hold out much hope but you never know.

Reading through the posts I still can't understand why there are so many body's against metal detecting. I have nothing against dog walkers but as a person with children I know how some dog owners are more of a health and safety risk than even the worst metal detectorist. But I don't see them being banned when they hospitalise children or don't clean up after themselfs.

I feel it's more because we are a minority than anything else.

Sharkeysend

Post by Sharkeysend » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 pm

My local council came back with this earlier today after I queried use on council owned land:
Thank you for your email. I have spoken to the head of service and he has advised your more than welcome to use your metal detector on council land however he has advised you cannot dig on the land.
... I think they missed the point :-L
"Who's the more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?"

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 am

Sharkeysend wrote:My local council came back with this earlier today after I queried use on council owned land:
Thank you for your email. I have spoken to the head of service and he has advised your more than welcome to use your metal detector on council land however he has advised you cannot dig on the land.
... I think they missed the point :-L
Think I am right in saying that many councils have long standing by-laws that ban digging of any kind... but said councils dont have by-laws banning the use of metal detectors. Hence the seemingly perverse, though totally understandable, response from your council. You can wave your stick, but cant dig a hole!!! Welcome to metal detecting!!

geoman

Post by geoman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 am

Yes i have come across that one before ,but at least you can pick up the surface losses with no problem.

rob-greaves

Post by rob-greaves » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:18 am

Exactly the same in our Devon council. Their website states you are free to use a metal detector on council land, but you are prohibited from digging any targets.

92 both ways, and is that a glint of the edge of a Gold coin? Nah - I'd better leave it there x;

Cheers - Rob
XP Deus 11" - Remote - WS4
XPointer
Spade

NewDetectors

Post by NewDetectors » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:28 am

Has anyone had any luck in the Kent area? I've emailed a couple of local councils and will update with their response.

Koi

Post by Koi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi
Do you still have the permission link, I want to contact my local council

Thank you

quote="beaubrummell"]My council were reluctant until I mentioned that the government's own g

uidelines say that offering no land for the hobby is 'unreasonable'.

The government advice is as follows.

The following comes from the "Communities and Local Government" website

Metal detectors

31. Local authorities may introduce bye-laws to prohibit or restrict the use of metal detectors in pleasure grounds. Bye-laws to prohibit the use of metal detectors may be appropriate in grounds requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or areas much used by blind or disabled persons. However, a bye-law which prohibits the use of metal detectors in areas not in need of special protection or from all the grounds in a particular area may be seen as over-restrictive and unreasonable. [/quote]

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:54 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _notes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go.

Scroll down to part 31. and good luck. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Hurrah.... after nearly two years of trying I have received a permission from Exeter city council to metal detect in parks and public open grounds... it took forever but have a positive reply at last...

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Many congrats. Persistence and determination are the key. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

roge82

Post by roge82 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 pm

i sent a message to my local council yesterday asking for permission they messageed back saying thanks for contacting and can we have your personal contact details to get back to me .so it aint a yes or a no yet watch this space fingers crossed

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 am

Most issues seem to come from the Council Legal Dept who to show that they are actually doing something will come back and mention ownership of items and the big one of liability if a person for example trips up on a hole in the grass and claims. Now the hole may have been dug by a dog, rabbit, badger or kids messing about, but the blame will fall on the detectorist. Once the spectre of insurance claims is raised most councils find it easier to say no or simply say you can use your detector, but you cannot dig.

slipper

Post by slipper » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 am

I'm still waiting for a reply after 2 1/2 months, and that includes a reminder. :)
I will write to a councillor next, should at least get a reply but not holding out much hope for permission.. I will not give in though, but keep nagging in the politest way.

My other request of the County Council Permit has not been issued but still wait with hope.

The behaviour is so disgraceful really, its " we may get a problem here, ignore it" , so much for public service.
Red Racer

roge82

Post by roge82 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:21 pm

so after sending an email to wigan council they asked for my contact details etc.after a week i heard nothing after that so i sent another asking if they had tried contacting me at all but they hadnt . he said he had sent my details to the green spaces department and sent me a phone number and asked me to ring them .i rang them and i explained that i wanted to metal detect on council land and his reply was yes thats fine you can detect on council grounds but i must seek permission if not on there land as we all know .i said do you need to issue me with a permit and he said no we dont do permits to metal detect aslong as i dont leave any mess and leave it as i found it its fine,cant beleive how easy that was.but good result ::g ::g ::g

owdgit

Post by owdgit » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm

good news roge82. i contacted the council too but they have not responded as yet, but as its the same council, i cant see them telling you yes and me no. cool, well done

roge82

Post by roge82 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Yea it is pal I just need to do a bit of research now to find out best places to go , do you know any good land council owned in the area that would be worth a visit owdgit ?

owdgit

Post by owdgit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 pm

roge82,
i tried my local park today but it was a complete washout. lots of stuff there but its all beer can and ring pulls. couldn't even get a single swing without getting a hit of trash, although i did find £1.20 ha ha. i was thinking about having a go in the woodland of Lilford park. i really cant see that being too trashy and maybe borsdane woods. but i guess any parkland is ok.....maybe ot the bowling greens though =P~

Return to “Permissions”