Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
manicdev

Re: Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Post by manicdev » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Strange but true, but just before coming on the forum tonight I re-done the application for the permit as the first one never worked :(
And this thread was right in front of me :D
So I will now have to email them and hopefully I will get one :)
Dave

XP Deus v3.2 + 9" & 13"x11" coils
Whites DFX + 13 Ultimate
TDK WR 700 Wireless Headphones
Caius Flaminius Labeo

Goldstar

Post by Goldstar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:18 pm

When I clicked on the metal detecting permit application link on The Crown Estate website there was a delay of about 30 seconds in displaying the metal detecting permit application form. Once I completed the mandatory fields and pressed "go" I received an email almost immediately.
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

drzac2003

Post by drzac2003 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:42 am

Got my permission - took all of about 2 minutes :-) Just need to go to the beach and get going!
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Size 10 wellies

SimonHS

Post by SimonHS » Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi, I looked at the Crown Estate website (May 2017) and it appears you don't need a permit to search the foreshore on the Thames "We are currently looking into the metal detecting registration process. As such, you are not required to obtain a permit but must read our terms and conditions (see link below) before conducting any metal detecting on Crown Estate foreshore."

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 pm

SimonHS wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Hi, I looked at the Crown Estate website (May 2017) and it appears you don't need a permit to search the foreshore on the Thames "We are currently looking into the metal detecting registration process. As such, you are not required to obtain a permit but must read our terms and conditions (see link below) before conducting any metal detecting on Crown Estate foreshore."
Hello and welcome to the MDF Simon, yes that does appear to be the case at the moment.
Cheers
mrix

slipper

Post by slipper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 am

May I ask if it is confirmed we no longer need a permit.
I wasn't sure if this was so or that use of MD was no longer allowed.
Red Racer

Pastmember01

Post by Pastmember01 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Are folks mixing up the Crown Estates Foreshore and the Thames PLA foreshore? My understanding is for the first you don't need a permit but for the second you do.

https://www.pla.co.uk/Environment/Thame ... nd-digging

I met some folks on the Thames PLA foreshore who hadn't bothered with a permit and I don't know who or how it will enforced, but I can imagine the possibility of confiscating detectors.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Crown Estate beaches no longer require a printed Paper permit. More info here:
https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/

From the same site, there is a jointly managed permit system for the River Thames only. that is managed between the CE & Port of London Authority (PLA)
https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... ames-only/

As such ANYONE wanting to search either eyes only or with a detector needs to read this:
http://pla.co.uk/Environment/Thames-for ... nd-digging

Hope thats clear. ::g

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Just so you know, both the links take you to 'a page not found'
this link may help though (now saying that you DO NOT need to apply for a permit) - https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/

Ill be printing this before I head to the beach next week haha
Happy hunting!!

(haha just seen some one has beaten me to it.... - that post wasn't there a moment ago when I saw it. haha)

mrix wrote:
Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am
Hello all this topic was originally posted in the Beach detecting forum as a sticky but as it is a permissions related topic and a very useful at that I have also made it a sticky within this forum :)

Metal Detecting on Crown Estate Foreshore
Anyone wishing to go metal detecting on Crown Estate foreshore will require a permit.
This page contains a brief description of The Crown Estate’s general position regarding metal detecting and treasure hunting on our foreshore.

Applying for a Permit for Metal Detecting on Crown Estate Foreshore
Note – this does not apply to searching below the foreshore, i.e. on the seabed for which a separate consent may be required. Please direct any enquiries over seabed searching to:

The Crown Estate generally seeks to encourage access over, and responsible use of, the foreshore and as a result our consent for non-commercial metal detecting on the foreshore will not incur a charge. Foreshore in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is defined as the land between mean high water and mean low water. In Scotland the definition is between mean high water of spring tides and mean low water of spring tides

Apply for permit here --> Metal Detecting Permit

More Details here including the map links----> Metal Detecting Maps on Crown Estate Foreshore
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Home made Sand scoop, aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Appointed First Aider - QA level2

heath

Post by heath » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Just starting out , so thought I'd a apply for Crown estate permit , site was down so I rang and was told you no longer need the permit to detect ?

JBM

Post by JBM » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Correct it been like that for a while.

The Magic map for free is the way Natural England have chosen to go.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Martin B

Post by Martin B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Is the foreshore map available on MagicMap, and if so, what category is it under?

EDIT - Oooh! Just seen the new interactive (or zoomable!) foreshore map on the Crown Estate page - thats certainly a lot better than the old map was!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Unfortunately Adam17 quoted a post that is in several parts nolonger valid due to changes since it was put up.

Most of this has been covered but putting everything together -

The Crown Estate Metal detecting page is now https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/

You no longer need a permit, but must agree to and follow their T&Cs.
The page also contains information on the permisions and finds.
Remember the Crown Estate pemission only covers the area between mean high and low water marks, sand dunes and such behind the beach are NEVER covered (and are also often protected).

There is now a nice interactive (with search and zoom) map at https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... tuary-map/
(this replaces the old maps which have been removed so anybody with links to those need to change them .... no prizes for guessing who got caught by this the other week!)

You should also be aware that some of these beaches might have been leased out, eg to the National Trust (who never give metal detecting permission), or local councils (who might or might not give permission), while others might be protected by SSSIs which do not allow detecting so just because a beach is shown on the map as being Crown Estate it does not always mean that you can detect on them (although the vast majority you can).

For the Thames estuary see jcmaloney's post a few above this.

Evan

heath

Post by heath » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

On the foreshore map it shows stretches of river, how far from the waters edge does it say you can come in or doesn't it ?

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 am

heath wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm
On the foreshore map it shows stretches of river, how far from the waters edge does it say you can come in or doesn't it ?
As I said above "the Crown Estate pemission only covers the area between mean high and low water marks", this applies on estuaries and tidal rivers the same as it would on beaches - so on a river you are restricted to a narrow strip of bank that is buried at high tide.
There is also the potential situation where the river goes through a channel with vertical walls so the high water mark is direcetly above the low water mark but higher up the wall :D
Unlike a beach where access is normally easy on a river it would be across private land - so unless you get the landowners permission it would look very dodgy walking across his fields with a metal detector !!!.
There could also be issues if there is fishing on the river - a bit back somebody asked about detecting a river as it showed on the Crown Estate map (the Ribble???) and it was pointed out that it was a salmon river where fishing cost hundreds of pounds a day so the response from the anglers to metal detecting could be imagined.
Finally, stating the obvious many river banks near the coast are part of the flood defence system so should not be dug.

IMHO if its a river you are better off trying to get the adjacent landowners permission or just forget it.

Evan

Return to “Permissions”