Best Practise at Farm Permissions - Climb Over Metal Farm Gates or Open Them?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
detectorman5050

Best Practise at Farm Permissions - Climb Over Metal Farm Gates or Open Them?

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 pm

I appreciate that this might sound like a 'daft question,' but anyway here goes. x;

What is considered 'best practise' for the metal farm gates typically found in the UK. Open them, or climb over them? I have seen people do both.

I was wondering if climbing over them, could damage them at all?

Thanks.

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

Ladybird66

Re: Best Practise at Farm Permissions - Climb Over Metal Farm Gates or Open Them?

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 pm

I think you’ve seen both because half of them are tied up with baling twine.

If you can open a gate then do so but make sure you close it behind you. I have been known to climb over the odd one or two but I make dammed sure it won’t collapse under me before I try. If it is tied up try to undo the rope. A bit of a fiddle really but sensible. You never know what might be lurking in the undergrowth waiting to escape. :-O

Pete E

Re: Best Practise at Farm Permissions - Climb Over Metal Farm Gates or Open Them?

Post by Pete E » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 pm
I appreciate that this might sound like a 'daft question,' but anyway here goes. x;

What is considered 'best practise' for the metal farm gates typically found in the UK. Open them, or climb over them? I have seen people do both.

I was wondering if climbing over them, could damage them at all?

Thanks.
It depends on the situation..I would open them where feasible, but if I had to climb them it's generally better to do so at the hinge side...

With some gates it doesn't really matter, but there are those that seem on the point of colapse and whatever approach you take is a risk.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Always open gates if possibl (metal or wooden).

If you do climb a gate always climb at the hinge end, as this puts less pressure on the hinge and post.

Evan

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 pm

@LadyBird. I can't remember if the gate I saw people climbing over, had twine around it. However it did make me think at the time 'could this damage the gate.'

@Pete and Saffron. That would appear to be correct with regards to climbing over it at the hinge end, if you cannot possibly open it.

Thanks for your replies.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi detectorman-vault them :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 pm
Even in my younger years, little chance of me doing that. I am afraid that I've never been the most nimble of people!

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 pm

There is probably more risk to you climbing a gate than there would be opening and closing it.

Muddy boots, slippery metal or rotted timber. Not a good combination.

A fall when out detecting on your own could result in you laying injured on the ground for a considerable time. Far better to open and close a gate when possible, but watch out for trapped fingers, and on stiff or collapsing gates take care not to pull any muscles.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 pm
I demand video evidence to back up your claims =)) =))
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 pm

I have to admit most I see are half broke and tied up in a crazy way so end up climbing over them, as said above, on the hinge side though

Anything that looks new and posh I open, I just wish those ones with the spring pull back latch were easier, the amount of force to open is unbelievable :D

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

Carpncatz

Post by Carpncatz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 pm

If they can be opened I open them and follow the country code and close them... prefer not to climb over them where possible because I am a clumsy sod and will end up on my backside!
NOX 800
Fisher CZ7A
Tesoro Cibola

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:23 pm

As above, if they're chained up then climb over at the hinge side. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm

if you have to climb a gate or fence then don't do it holding your detector or spade. Put them over first at the latch end and climb the hinge end. If you do fall you won't land on a sharp spade or expensive detector. It only takes a few extra seconds and you have both hands free.

littlehove

Post by littlehove » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 am

Then again, you could dig a trench under it. You never know what you might find =))

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:12 am

I have an image of Lowland doing a Fosbury flop in my mind... ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am

It' all be said above u;@ . Open gate when you can, if not climb over hinge side. And as WVAM said, don't climb over where you've put your kit, it's easy to slip in wet / muddy conditions.
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

pole vault 8-|
South London Metal Detector

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:12 am
I have an image of Lowland doing a Fosbury flop in my mind... ::g
I'd pay money to see that :D ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Hinge end always as suggested - or find a hole in the fence / hedge.

Alternatives -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm

What ever way you do it ... just dont bust the gate!!! Permissions have been lost for a lot less!

Went on a rally once with the lads down in Wales ... the instruction was "Close the gate" .. but typically some silly so and so left the thing open, allowing half a dozen sheep to stray into the adjacent field... I split myself watching a load of wellie clad blokes rounding um up, waving their detectors akimbo!

Lessons being ... open it, then close it... climb over it, then dont bust it!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 am

I promise not to post any more on this topic, but couldn't resist suggesting leviation as practised by Saint Joseph of Cupertino ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:23 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm
What ever way you do it ... just dont bust the gate!!! Permissions have been lost for a lot less!

Went on a rally once with the lads down in Wales ... the instruction was "Close the gate" .. but typically some silly so and so left the thing open, allowing half a dozen sheep to stray into the adjacent field... I split myself watching a load of wellie clad blokes rounding um up, waving their detectors akimbo!

Lessons being ... open it, then close it... climb over it, then dont bust it!

I heard about a LGD rally where someone left a gate open and about 100 cattle rampaged into the parking field, damaging god knows how many cars.
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 pm

I quite like climbing over gates. It takes me back to my youth when we used to sit on the many five-barred traditional wooden ones that were all around the hamlet. (The centre of the hamlet was a lovely old traditional farm of the kind you used to see in kids story-books long ago. Duck pond, old hay barn, hen coop, everything so neat.)

Anyway, we'd set on the top of gates and talk and it was great because we enjoyed being Up in The World.
So I am a climber not an opener. I am always wary of opening gates because I worry I may not be able to close 'em, especially if I'm on my tod. Sometimes the chain or rope is hard to pull back over the post, or the wire is difficult to disentangle. I tend to leave well alone. I only open one if its just drawn to. Similarly, the spring-loaded thingies are usually a bit of a pain so I leave them as well.

One thing I always do when entering a field...especially one where I can't see all the areas of it from the entrance....I look for escape routes. Hedges and fences I can (with the added oomph of a bit of adrenalin) vault ;)) or tumble over/under in the event of encountering livestock who take umbrage at my presence. It has proved useful on several occasions and the lack of dignity involved was a small price to pay. Besides to the best of my knowledge I have only been spotted doing an emergency exit once. By a guffawing farmer. rl; :))
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Roughwood wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 am
I promise not to post any more on this topic, but couldn't resist suggesting leviation as practised by Saint Joseph of Cupertino ::g
Or perhaps, after failing to gain permission, he's leapt off the balcony as penance for his failure. 8-|
A disservice is no service at all.

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm

My advice (for what it's worth !!)
I learned very early on.. amusing but painful !!
On approach to this fine specimen five bar gate I decided to climb over it..!!
Well,my foot slid off one of the bars as I was about to straddle the top of the gate.!!next thing I knew I was laying prostrate on the ground...winded,bent shaft on the detector,bruised ankle,bruised ego...and lastly...the farmers "dobin" was peering down at me nostrils all akimbo and I could see it in his eyes..what a "WALLY !!.
So now I open gates and walk through,after all wasn't that what gates were made for ?
Thanks for reading..and as always..Good hunting.. ::g

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 am

Farmers son jumps them, Doesn’t even touch the thing. Probably because they are all either dodgy, or hard work to open.
Notice what he was jumping into😮

Return to “Permissions Forum”