Landowners Contract Permission Form

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Wansdyke44

Re: Landowners Contract Permission Form

Post by Wansdyke44 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Sorry if I'm digging up a dead thread, but I've been perusing some of the posts...

I haven't shown landowner, digger contracts to any of the farmers whose land I search. I can fully understand the reasoning behind having one. I can also understand that some landowners are fully aware of what may happen if, for example a huge hoard of coins is found on their land...

The find gets reported, the location recorded, the coroners court etc. Then crowds of other detectorists descend upon said happless farmer.

Isn't this partly why many landowners are wary of metal detecting on their land?

In the Zone

My Finds Gallery

Radek

Post by Radek » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 pm

mrix wrote:Just thought I would make this link a sticky suggested by Jorvik B-)

Download here in PDF Format - Landowner Contract Permission Form

Cheers and thanks Jorvik

mrix
I'm using the contract template from link above and I would be grateful for any suggestion regarding number of days in point 6 (I left it blank).

Radek

satdaveuk

Post by satdaveuk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 am

I carry some of those contracs in my van but never used any, I have offered them In conversation, but to be honest there not interested and i get the feeling if i pushed them to get involved with any contract other than verbal they would tell me where to get off.
Farmers already know the 50/50 agreement, they do lisen to the media like we do , and above all there not stupid, they are after all business people.
Its horses for courses, what works for some of you, doesnt work for others, Far as public liability, again its up to everyone to make up there own mind, i did 35 years without one, I only took one out 3 weeks ago purley because i got the permission on a educational farm where there are public/children involved.
So in my opinion its everyone to there own
All the best

Dave

Philthy Phil

Post by Philthy Phil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Spoke to a tenant on a farm with history right back to the early medieval period who had said he was happy to allow me to detect as long as the landowner (a titled gent) was in agreement. Well today I was told he had provisionally agreed subject to a proper contract being drawn up so the agreement on here is spot on, thanks!!

I had a quick blast this afternoon & dug 2 George V sixpences in great condition along with a George VI Ha'penny............here's hoping for more!
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 stock & 6" coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 25
S&J Minishovel
Blackhawk kneepads
Trusty Zippo
Lucky horseshoes

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 pm

i have 3 farm permissions atm all 3 farmers signed my contract no problem i just said it stops me running off with any treasure found on your land, that seemed to please them more that i was honest enough to give them a copy and not hide the fact of the rules that they where entitled to half by law which they didnt know.

tm
DOWSING RODS with a golden sense as backup LOL

custard

Post by custard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Was this document drawn up by a Lawyer?

Not being funny, but I find parts of it incomprehensible and I've no doubt my Farmer would feel the same.

Some of the responsibilities placed on the detectorist seem a bit extreme in paragraph 3:
ii) to protect any livestock upon the said land and prevent their escape
iii) to protect the wildlife, whether plant or animal, upon the said land
iv) to prevent fire

I wouldn't dream of standing by and allowing animals to escape if it was in my power to stop them, but I'm certainly not going to accept the responsibility of preventing their escape! Same for fires etc. If that's legally binding, then it's quite an onerous undertaking IMO

I'm also a bit wary of item 3 xi
xi) so far as the licensee may validly do so, at all times to keep the owner/occupier effectually
indemnified against all actions or proceedings, costs, charges, claims and demands whatsoever,
which may be made or brought against the owner by any party in connection with this
licence or any matter or thing done or purported to be done in pursuance thereof.
The part I have bolded and underlined seems rather alarming to me. So if it's "purported" that I've left a gate open (for example) and let a rampaging Bull out, when I haven't, I'm agreeing to accept liability?

If I've misunderstood it, then I apologise in advance - somebody in the know please correct me.

Philthy Phil

Post by Philthy Phil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 pm

bulldog wrote:............also be carefull about rambler's some of these people don't close gate's after them self's
we seen them do it me and the farmer once,and i can tell you they have'nt walk across his fields again.

I know a few "proactive" farmers like that! =))
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 stock & 6" coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 25
S&J Minishovel
Blackhawk kneepads
Trusty Zippo
Lucky horseshoes

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:27 am

just to add i didnt use that contract, i used a nother one that i found on line that was a bit more simple

tm
DOWSING RODS with a golden sense as backup LOL

rincewand

Post by rincewand » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 am

I looked at this contract myself and thought that any farmer would run a mile. I have written a contract for myself which I feel is easier to understand and covers the basics for the farmer. I have saved it in PDF and word so it should be accessible by anyone on here. I just need to know how to upload it and I will put it up here incase anyone else wants to use it too.

Gareth
:))I have noticed that nothing I never said ever did me any harm :))

angels26

Post by angels26 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:59 am

Hi, Been detecting for about 8yrs now but never had to go and ask permission as always belonged to a club, however now want to go and ask my local farmers if i can go on their land. Does anyone have a set script they use as not sure how to word it without getting the door slammed in my face?

Looked at the permission contract but think i would rather just ask them at the moment & then once i know them a bit better maybe see if they want to draw up a mutual agreement to protect both parties.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks! :)

"Why run when you can walk"....

"Why run when you can walk"....

Peter Pearce

Post by Peter Pearce » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I would like to say many many thanks for the very professional looking Landowners/ Detectorist Contract. Far better than mine so I shall be using this one, thanks again and all the very best with all your future digs, thanks for posting. Peter P [:)

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Apart from it easing your way in court towards the correct share of a finders reward, a formal contract can provide assurance to the landowner and detectorist.
it confirms your right of access to land so that you never have to worry about convincing some over zealous farm manager or gamekeeper, police or anyone else. Should there be unknown dangers on the land, such as concealed shafts, hazardous soil, badly driven tractors, savage dogs etc and you are unlucky to suffer injury, the contract can be a very useful document.
I know many will say "I know my farmer, he is a great bloke and we have a good understanding" but what happens when he cannot remember things or the farm is taken over by other family members, a farm manager or a tenant farmer?
I never set foot on any land that I do not have a bit of paper for, helps me relax and enjoy the hobby more, Liam B-)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

mmattys30

Post by mmattys30 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Used the form thanks agreat help :D

mikenovak

Post by mikenovak » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 am

angels26 wrote:Hi, Been detecting for about 8yrs now but never had to go and ask permission as always belonged to a club, however now want to go and ask my local farmers if i can go on their land. Does anyone have a set script they use as not sure how to word it without getting the door slammed in my face?

Hi angels26

I too would be interested in finding a 'best approach' to use when visiting farmers - I tried the letter approach - sending out approximately 100 letters to farmers within a 30 mile radius of my home - and using the type of letter that was put on this thread (from David Villaneuva's book - Permission Impossible), but only had 3 replies - all negative.. :((

So it would be very useful to have some real-life experiences of those who have visited farmers in person to know how they worded their request to have permission to the farmer when they knocked on their door :)

Best regards

Mike
Minelab Explorer XS
Member of Coventry Heritage Detector Society

bucko

Post by bucko » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:37 am

im sure this has been asked at some point but i have not the time to trawl through previous posts sorry
Q :- Just how legal are these and would they stand up in a legal areas of differences
again sorry for the possable repeat questio

bucko

davetee

Post by davetee » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Interesting as I am just starting out. I don't think I'd send a contract with an introductory letter and I'd certainly change the word contract to agreement if I did.

I'm going to try and come up with a speculative letter that I can send out, with s.a.e and a small form with tick boxes - suggestions welcome.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:18 pm

I only write to major landowners who want things done properly in terms of "documentation".

The majority of farmers much prefer to see the whites of your eyes. ::g

antiphonus

Post by antiphonus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Just got my first permission today, and used an adaptation of this form by Jorvik. So thanks, Jorvik and to you, mrix! Worked a treat! ::g
AT Pro International
Garrett ProPointer
Evo Pro-Cut Spade (in Midnight Blue ::g )

Return to “Permissions”