Bit of advice please

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Browny666

Bit of advice please

Post by Browny666 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 pm

After door knocking other day had a load of no's and go aways lol but one farmer listened to me looked interested and told me go back in 2 weeks time for a chat....

What's best way to approach this situation when I go back?

He owns a hell of alot of land spread across 3 different places so do i waffle on about the history of all 3 places (to which there ain't alot on the web about them)?

Do I take an OS map with me as it may be several pages?

I've never been in this situation before it's normally been a yes or a no and they tell me what field I can go on before I've even mentioned any history lol..

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet but it sure beats a no

Thanks in advance
Paul
Makro racer
Garret ace 250

"If in doubt....DIG IT"

oldartefact

Re: Bit of advice please

Post by oldartefact » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 am

On your return visit I would suggest having one or two nice finds to show him, always a great ice breaker. I would take one or two Google map satellite images of his land ... location closest to the farm for starters. Ohh and two other things that are absolute musts ... dont forget to take your smile, and a very warm handshake, along with you!!!
PS. and maybe have an NCMD agreement in your back pocket!

Ian X

Post by Ian X » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 am

I totally agree with Oldartefact, Most business people are wary of B.S. Just be yourself, sincere and honest, most people are perceptive to that and warm to it. Once you have gained some of their trust then you can build on it steadily over time.

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 am

All of the above. A couple of other things l do is copy the NCMD code of conduct onto the back of the agreement.Also type my name and contact details on to it. Take some ID .Ask him to mark your maps which is his land. If he knows you are doing it the right way you should get the permission. Their farm is their life and income. The above shows you are honest, open, and doing it right. Trust is built over time..... I have had a lot of permissions in my area.
All the best ::g
XP Deus, SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Makro pointer
Mini Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 am

Absolutely agree with being yourself - if a farmer's BS detector could find metal, Garrett would be out of business.

I'm a novice at this, but found I got a good response when the very first question I asked once the land had been outlined on a map was, "And what fields DON'T you want me to go on at the moment?"

Good luck.
John

kpjuk

Post by kpjuk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 am

Take your detector with you as well. If you have a spare take that too, and offer to take him out to show him what you do.
Take your insurance card with you and explain what it covers.
Tell him you will backfill all holes even on ploughed land, as that is just good practice.
Tell him you will text him to let him know when you are on the land and when you leave.
Tell him you will split the value of your finds 50/50

I also create a journal for my permissions and print off pages showing the decent finds from each visit. Some farmers want to keep lots of artefacts, others want nothing.

A positive attitude will really help. It sounds like he has an interest, so marking out his lands on a google map and agreeing any restrictions he may have like where to park is a good idea.

Good luck though, I have had a lot of knock backs from farmers. It's important to stay positive even when being let down. They could change their minds!

Let us know how you get on, and the best of luck.

Kev J.
Ubi sanguinum inferno est eam
XP Deus
XP Goldmaxx

Browny666

Post by Browny666 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks all really appreciate it :)

Done some more digging into the history turns out there are 8 water mills dating back to early 1700s 5 of them are on his land....
Also seen some very very strange crop marks In and around his land....

His fields around the farm house are very steep hills which have all of which have what I believe to be a fort surrounding the bottom this farm house is literally in middle of nowhere he couldn't believe I found it....

I walked the dogs around the area as there is a nature reserve across the road to which I noticed an old cobbled road leading up to the main road and onto his land can just make out where it leads upto the hills although this is not visible from Google earth...

Got some more serious research to do but thank you all for the advice I will keep you posted fingers crossed I get that all important yes
Makro racer
Garret ace 250

"If in doubt....DIG IT"

kpjuk

Post by kpjuk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Install Google Earth.

There is an option under view / Historical Imagery. This allows you to look at the previous copies of the satellite images. You might find different images show up different markings on the land. It's a good way to look at the land ::g

Kev J.
Ubi sanguinum inferno est eam
XP Deus
XP Goldmaxx

Return to “Permissions”