Permission tips?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
LedburyGuy33

Permission tips?

Post by LedburyGuy33 »

I'm struggling at the moment with permission.

I bought the detector as something I could use at least once a week to fill my time as I struggle with various mental health problems. I did a lot of research beforehand and living in the countryside thought where there's a will, there's a way.

The big issue is with all the red tape. Forestry commission...No. Council.... No. The council have annoyed me a bit though. As before buying the detector I read on their own site, to quote:

"If you choose to metal detect other than as part of an organised project then:".... "Permission must be sort from Herefordshire Council before operating on any Council or Public Land.". Great right? As that means it's not impossible for an individual to be granted permission...Wrong.... The answer is a flat out no.

I probably should have researched it a bit more by asking them but a few weeks ago I saw someone detecting on a former cricket pitch field just down the road in broad daylight with what appeared to be some pretty decent gear. It turns out they wouldn't have had permission as it's council owned. A bit rubbish as that land is filled with dog mess and the field next to it has a kids play area where kids often dig holes to make "mud pies".

What next? I've appealed on Facebook groups. Exhausted possibilities with local landowners.

A group? But I can't commit to anything as I don't drive and it's a struggle to integrate with the mental health problems.

I do have permission on 1 field overall from a landowner but I can only get there once every 6 weeks or so when a support worker visits as they can drive there.

The detector is sadly back in it's box ready to be sent back to Amazon, but I've got a few weeks before the return deadline so will keep trying to find something local and within walking distance.

PinkFloyd

Re: Permission tips?

Post by PinkFloyd »

Door knocking , but take your wife , daughter, niece etc..
A farmer is much more accommodating and generally nicer when a female is present ::g
My wife has no interest in my hobby , but she’s with me when I’m interested in a new farm, never been knocked back .
Very best of luck
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Paulmlpss

Post by Paulmlpss »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:17 am
Door knocking , but take your wife.
I find this can help. One farmer said he felt sorry for me and let me detect to get away from her.
XP ORX 11inch x35 coil
Garrett carrot
Hammered coins 2020 = 5

Bors

Post by Bors »

Sadly , councils in many instances are often no more than a conglomerate of power-hungry people hell-bent on exercising a stifled life ambition, to show and exercise authority, to satisfy their craving of power, even more than a desire to do things which the overall public can benefit by. A straight "No" proves this ,rather than a clause for negotiation per case by them .
In today's rat race of detecting its now a case of you have to be prepared to travel out of your immediate area to have more choice, as relying on local permissions can be fruitless.
I noticed yesterday in our local paper , a lovely find found "local" was found by someone in a metal detecting Club from 30 miles away from this area. So obviously people it seems are travelling more, due to no land locally or "tied up " land .
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Mike. T.

Post by Mike. T. »

You just have to keep on knocking on doors.

I'm going to have to start doing it myself soon, on my own, and I can't say i'm looking forward to it but it's the only way do the hobby unless you stick to beaches. The key is to look fairly smart, be polite and explain that you won't make any mess and you'll show them everything you find and you'll split any finds 50/50 ( have a printed agreement written up in case they say yes ). Also explain that you've been doing research on their farm and why you want to search it and that you've been given permission from other farms in the area ( if you have ).

It's a good idea to keep your spade and detector in your car, or backpack while you're doing this. I always carry an OS Explorer Map with me of the farm i'm asking so the farmer can point out exactly what fields are theirs, should they say yes.

Joining a club is also a good idea, especially if you have no transport. Good luck ::g

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

LedburyGuy33 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:37 am
I'm struggling at the moment with permission.

I bought the detector as something I could use at least once a week to fill my time as I struggle with various mental health problems. I did a lot of research beforehand and living in the countryside thought where there's a will, there's a way.

The big issue is with all the red tape. Forestry commission...No. Council.... No. The council have annoyed me a bit though. As before buying the detector I read on their own site, to quote:

"If you choose to metal detect other than as part of an organised project then:".... "Permission must be sort from Herefordshire Council before operating on any Council or Public Land.". Great right? As that means it's not impossible for an individual to be granted permission...Wrong.... The answer is a flat out no.

I probably should have researched it a bit more by asking them but a few weeks ago I saw someone detecting on a former cricket pitch field just down the road in broad daylight with what appeared to be some pretty decent gear. It turns out they wouldn't have had permission as it's council owned. A bit rubbish as that land is filled with dog mess and the field next to it has a kids play area where kids often dig holes to make "mud pies".

What next? I've appealed on Facebook groups. Exhausted possibilities with local landowners.

A group? But I can't commit to anything as I don't drive and it's a struggle to integrate with the mental health problems.

I do have permission on 1 field overall from a landowner but I can only get there once every 6 weeks or so when a support worker visits as they can drive there.

The detector is sadly back in it's box ready to be sent back to Amazon, but I've got a few weeks before the return deadline so will keep trying to find something local and within walking distance.
First, don't take knock backs personally it is par for the course..I had knocked on a door last week and although the answer was "no" for a various reasons, the farmer was very friendly and we had a really good chat about the local history of the area from which I learned quite a bit..

Given that you don't drive, you need to be realistic as to what area you can cover..Are you will to travel on public transport with a spade detector and back pack for instance?

Apart from door knocking in your local area, how about contacting charities like the Rotary Club and explain that you are looking to start metal detecting as a form of therapy for your illness and would any of its members be able to help re access?

Re the Local Council, is there any way your Support Workers or Councillor could write to them on your behalf asking for access for therapeutic reasons? Mental Health issues are very real disabilities so I would hope the local Council would be able to accommodate your request on those grounds..
Equinox 800
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

LedburyGuy33

Post by LedburyGuy33 »

Thanks all

Ticks maybe:

- Had permission on land due to be sold to developers. Was rubbish as expected. Nout but tin cans and fly tipped rubbish.

- Got a dig planned in a few days at a bit of land near roman sites. Although I don't have a clue what I'm doing with being new to detecting. Still worth a try.

I struggle with asking people and have no wife. I don't really have anyone in my life for that matter, but I'd borrow a wife (She can ask and maybe cook something nice after? But you can have her back before nagging starts).

What I have done is ask the Parish council. I've covered all holes for the blowout from them (Mentioned NCMD coverage). I've asked about land they own that is going to be developed into housing soon and mentioned any finds will go to the local museum.

Here's hoping.

Lowland

Post by Lowland »

Stay positive mun,
Can seem like a brick wall but things can turn around ::g
All the best.
Mucky equinox600- brand new spade and two dodgy elbows ,iffy knees
................And a bucket of optimism..........

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

LedburyGuy33 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 pm
Thanks all

Ticks maybe:

- Had permission on land due to be sold to developers. Was rubbish as expected. Nout but tin cans and fly tipped rubbish.

- Got a dig planned in a few days at a bit of land near roman sites. Although I don't have a clue what I'm doing with being new to detecting. Still worth a try.

I struggle with asking people and have no wife. I don't really have anyone in my life for that matter, but I'd borrow a wife (She can ask and maybe cook something nice after? But you can have her back before nagging starts).

What I have done is ask the Parish council. I've covered all holes for the blowout from them (Mentioned NCMD coverage). I've asked about land they own that is going to be developed into housing soon and mentioned any finds will go to the local museum.

Here's hoping.
Where abouts are you ? If your close to me you can join me anytime
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

LedburyGuy33 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 pm
Thanks all

Ticks maybe:

95%+ of metal detecting finds are rubbish, so what you have found is par for the course. Its a permission so make the most of it.

I have small permissions that have never produced anything but there is always the chance that the next signal might just "be the one". Stick with it, even if it produces nothing it gets you out and in the fresh air. As a bonus the next time you knock on a door you will be able to say "I detected at xxxxx that is due to be sold and am sure that mr xxxxxx will vouch for me" (but do check that first), and that could be an opening for the next permission.

Lucky you!!. I wish I had some where near a known Roman site.
Read the manual for the detector, then reread the manual for the detector, then reread the manual for the detector!!. Having read it 3 times you should have a good idea of what you are doing. Then use other resources like this site for extra information, then when you get on the site you will have a good idea of what you are doing and be able to get the best from it.

Borrowing a wife sounds a good idea, anybody got one I could borrow?.

Mentioning the NCMD, both its role in detecting and the code of practice is good, but if you did not do so also say about the £10 million third party insurance it provides as all councils worry about H&S and risk of being sued.

Evan

LedburyGuy33

Post by LedburyGuy33 »

So sorry for the late reply, especially Saffron and Pinkfloyd.

Well, first off... I got rid of the detector....eek.... Well the thing was I paid £279 for a EuroAce from Amazon. Since then I joined more metal detector enthusiast pages and saw I could get that same device "nearly new" for more than £79 less.

Then the parish council didn't respond. Meh. With that return date growing closer and no response, I returned the detector.

That's not the end though. Even though it was a rubbish field I was in before, it was a great day out I would love to repeat, but I've learned, only when I've got somewhere to go (rather than it sitting around for most the year).

Can you believe I've been waiting til now for a response from the parish council to then openly question their lack of response on FB and be told they didn't get my email and to send again? Yep I guess we can believe that.

So I've sent another email and being more persistent with it. Mentioning both the Hiscox insurer and the 10 mil cover.

Annoying that I could go over any of the council owned fields in broad daylight and nobody ever would question it, but those sitting in an office who have likely never even been to said fields could just say no on the basis of seeing a map on a computer screen.

I had to return the detector to Amazon, days before I could get to the place near the Roman site. Gutted but it's still there waiting for me.

I'm in Ledbury, near the old cricket pitch PinkFloyd.

By all means before my next move I've gotta wait for the parish council. If they say no, then I just don't think it can be a consistent enough hobby. I'd rather go out twice a week and find junk than once a year and find a hoard after all.

Digger60

Post by Digger60 »

Join as many local metal detecting groups that you can find on Facebook etc. Most hold organised weekend digs that you could attend for 10 to 15 pounds which is cheap for a good day out.

bruno22rf

Post by bruno22rf »

My first permission came the long way. I found a book that detailed every Roman settlement in my area and where the roads would have been between each Villa/Camp or whatever - then, using the logic that Horses or Oxen need to stop for water every 4 miles I plotted each likely rest spot taking into account the need for access to Water being an advantage.Thus at 4 miles outside a Camp, a pond/stream in the area would have been like a Magnet.Approaching a Landowner with such logic seemed to impress them and the news that they may have Roman history under their feet quite intrigued them as well - some still said No but some did not.Thinking outside the box can pay dividends - it's very hard to ask a complete stranger for anything, but it's a darn site easier if you can chat for a few minutes first and break the Ice - any interest in what you have to say is immediately obvious.Another massive tip - try asking the Farmers wife first - more often open to new ideas and the husband rarely argues if she gives the green light.

Return to “Permissions Forum”