Electrical interference minelab safari

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Safari metal detector within this forum.
The caretaker

Electrical interference minelab safari

Post by The caretaker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello
On my permission there is a beck I really want to detect in as there was a medieval village on it. The problem is I have tried detecting in the beck with my minelab safari but above the beck there is a railway line with overhead electrical cables and all I can hear is a lot of interference on my machine. So it's a waste of time trying with the interference. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I have tried doing noise cancel no luck all i can hear is popping and piping noises.
Thanks

Minelab safari
Minelab e-trac

sweepstick47

Re: Electrical interference minelab safari

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm not a Safari user but in these circumstances, the usual counter with the majority of detectors, is to reduce the sensitivity in stages until the external interference becomes manageable.
Have you got a 'back-up' machine to try? Good Luck ::g - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

The caretaker

Post by The caretaker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for your advice my other machine is also a minelab. A se pro
Minelab safari
Minelab e-trac

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 am

The only suggestion I can think of to help solve your problem would be to buy a Fisher F75 which has the DST function on board . The earlier ones don`t have ,it so it would have to be an F75 under about 3 years old which clearly states it has DST on it.

DST = Digital shielding technology
This software process will cut down on instability issues caused by over head power lines (Pylons)/cattle fences/mobile phone masts etc allowing you to get closer without the machine becoming unstable and sounding off randomly.

And " personally ", ,having used a Minelab E trac , I think the Fisher F75`s a much better detector. Its lighter,easier to use, better balanced, sensitive to thin hammered coins, and can go V deep.
So If It was me with your situation ,I`d dump the SE Pro and get the Fisher F75 limited Edition with boost facility & cache mode with DST on board.You will find you can then work in the places you struggle with now.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am

hello, it has a noise cancel mode

The caretaker

Post by The caretaker » Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks for your advice bors it is much appreciated. ::g
Minelab safari
Minelab e-trac

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Regardless of detector model, a smaller search-coil is beneficial in these circumstances.

The other obvious thing to do is try detecting at different times. My experience of detecting near electrified lines was that the trains caused the noise, even if it's the cables that transmit the interference. So detecting at a time when there's less rail traffic is worth trying.

The weather can play a part, too - dry air may be easier than damp air, for example.
:(

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

With my H&S hat on. Remember that these cables carry very high voltage and it can leap to earth via you and your detector. There have been a lot of anglers killed this way. Good luck and be safe. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

Bors

Post by Bors » Wed May 08, 2019 1:11 pm

lonecoiler wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm
With my H&S hat on. Remember that these cables carry very high voltage and it can leap to earth via you and your detector. There have been a lot of anglers killed this way. Good luck and be safe. :;@
Or ! Handy for a quick on the spot defibrillator when or as required. ..... "Shove him under the pylons Quick!" 🥴

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Wed May 08, 2019 2:22 pm

The caretaker wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:32 pm
Hello
On my permission there is a beck I really want to detect in as there was a medieval village on it. The problem is I have tried detecting in the beck with my minelab safari but above the beck there is a railway line with overhead electrical cables and all I can hear is a lot of interference on my machine. So it's a waste of time trying with the interference. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I have tried doing noise cancel no luck all i can hear is popping and piping noises.
Thanks
Hi Caretaker,

I too use a Safari, and I also have overhead power lines on part of my permission. It's an area I tend to avoid because the interference is too annoying, but it's not impossible to detect underneath them. You'll be familiar with the typical rhythm and sounds of the interference you're getting; I find if I run over a target then the target signal changes that rhythm and sound I'm hearing, and that allows you to carry on. I've only been able to find decent sized targets though - milled halfpennies and bigger - those faint signals I don't think would get through under the power lines. Also pinpointing is harder.

Best thing I've found under the lines was a sterling silver bracelet :)

Best of luck!
Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Wed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm

lonecoiler wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm
A very relevant reminder.

Detecting in a beck with 25,000 volts overhead is not a good idea.

Return to “Minelab Safari Forum”